Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have IBS-D and I've done nearly everything I can do to control it. I don't eat or drink ANY trigger foods (no spicy food, no alcohol, no sorbitol, n caffeine, no carbonated beverages, etc). School starts tomorrow and for the past two weeks I've been trying to 'regulate' my digestive system. Every site recommended fiber, so I tried it. I now have a fiber rich diet, and I even eat yogurt every few days. Now my problem is that I have a bowel movement TOO often. This morning I had five bowel movements before noon. I didn't have diarrhea five times, I had a normal bowel movement (which was nice to see), but five times?! That can't be right... I have school tomorrow and I'm so worried that I'll have to go five times again. Is fiber BAD? Sure its bulking up the stools and giving them a good consistency, but five times in only a few hours?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have IBS-D and I've done nearly everything I can do to control it. I don't eat or drink ANY trigger foods (no spicy food, no alcohol, no sorbitol, n caffeine, no carbonated beverages, etc). School starts tomorrow and for the past two weeks I've been trying to 'regulate' my digestive system. Every site recommended fiber, so I tried it. I now have a fiber rich diet, and I even eat yogurt every few days. Now my problem is that I have a bowel movement TOO often. This morning I had five bowel movements before noon. I didn't have diarrhea five times, I had a normal bowel movement (which was nice to see), but five times?! That can't be right... I have school tomorrow and I'm so worried that I'll have to go five times again. Is fiber BAD? Sure its bulking up the stools and giving them a good consistency, but five times in only a few hours?
I like you have a high fiber diet and I know what you are talking about when you say you go 5 times in the morning. That happens to me like 4/7 days but I would rather leave the house being empty then not knowing when I will need to go. Sometimes I wake up and need to make trips to the bathroom 3 to 5 times in the 1st hour of being up and my BMs are usually a normal consistency as well. Some days I will get up and only need to go once and be done for the day. The way I see it, just get up ahead of time and let nature take its course, have some coffee and be thankful you aren't hit with D in the middle of one of your classes (used to happen to me before I went on fiber). Even if you leave the house felling like you may have to go again, its not so hard to make a quick trip to the restroom before you get to class...believe me it is so much better then having C then a bout of D god knows when it is going to hit you with the cramps and the bloating and all that goes with it! I love my fiber rich diet!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I definitely understand your predicament, I've been going to the bathroom all morning and even though it isn't diarrhea, it certainly makes me feel that going out today may be a bit of a gamble. In your case thought, you need to go to school, so what I would do in your position is take an imodium after your first BM in the morning as a precautionary measure just for the next couple of days. Once you get into the swing of school, you likely won't need it (hopefully). Also, I would like to add something regarding your high fibre diet. As much as I agree that a high fibre diet is essential for general health, people like us need to balance it with both soluble and insoluble fibre. A diet rich in insoluble fibre can be a real problem when you have chronic diarrhea. The soluble fibre helps to coat the lining and keep the high fibre from rushing out of your system. Just be certain that you incorporate both in your diet (more soluble) to make you life a little easier. BTW, taking a calcium supplement is also extremely helpful as it has been mentioned somewhere on this forum. If you take a tablet or chewable calcium carbonate before, during or after each meal, you may be able to save yourself a few trips to the washroom. A good example of a soluble fibre for breakfast would be oatmeal (porridge). Take care.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh I can remember those college days! I would get up 2-3 hours before class, make 5-7 trips to the bathroom and still be making trips to the bathroom on my way to class and during class. I would be so stressed before exams and remember not eating for days before the exam out of anxiety that I would have an episode during an exam and then would have to take Imodium. I even remember in elementary school having my mom write me a note that I could be excused to go to the bathroom if I needed to go and never going on field trips with my class. Several years later after college, my IBS still wakes up when I wake up and I am in the bathroom several times the first hour. Things like calcium carbonate (like mentioned above), Elavil (tryclic antidepressants), probotic, digestive enzymes, Imodium are things you could try. Like mentioned above, you can get up early and make your runs to the bathroom and take 1/2 Imodium to get through the day. You can also talk to your teachers to let them know the situation so that they are aware if you need to leave class, need extra time on exams, have to leave class early..etc.Hang in there, I know days can be tough and I know that tears will be cried, but enjoy the good days and know you will and are a stronger person and more empathic for others because of it. You CAN do this and WILL do this. I know school is tough with IBS, but hang in there and remember that relaxing is important too. Fiber has always made my IBS worse and makes me more gassy and have more BMs. I have read some about Heather's Tummy fiber but I am not sure about it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.