Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
My most successful diet is a combination of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and the low FODMAP diet. This thread might be confusing for people as I was still eating starches and high FODMAPs and getting mixed results. I wouldn't bother reading this thread as I was still eating the wrong foods.

This is the new, improved diet and here's the link:

http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/topic/278738-combination-scd-and-fodmap-diet-cures-leaky-gas/

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I probably shouldn't have said "I've cured my IBS" in the title, but things have improved dramatically on a low starch low FODMAP diet. I don't eat breads at all. I also don't eat high FODMAPs like nuts and legumes. At the moment I'm restricting high FODMAP vegetables like cauliflower, cabbage etc so the only vegetables I eat are cooked low FODMAPs or a small amount of low FODMAP salads. I'm trying to limit all grains, including corn.

I'm constantly editing this opening post, as I'm always experimenting with this diet. I'm still not sure what the actual physical process is causing the carbohydrate malabsorption - it could be enzymes, bacterial overgrowth or something else entirely. An exclusion diet is the best way to minimise IBS symptoms.

My breakfast is always the same: cooked (quick) porridge oats with a pot of tea. I don't take any meds at all. I tried probiotics for about a week but stopped these as I wanted to test the diet on its own.

My best day was on Saturday 21/3/15, when I had a 7 minute evacuation, a type 4 Bristol stool type and no leaky gas at all. My first gas was at 4.00 pm.

This is the diet I ate the day before:

Cooked porridge oats for breakfast
Lunch at work: slices of ham, small block of hard cheese, 2 eggs
Dinner: 7.00 pm. Grapes, 1/2 roast chicken, large bowl mashed potato & pumpkin, dessert: icecream.
Piece of cheese and more grapes at 10.00 pm. Bed 10.30.

However I had a very similar diet on 23/3/15 and had constipation for an hour from all the protein, although sausages are full of rice flour and I generally don't eat these. I had actually reduced a lot of starch in my diet for the last year or so but found if I lacked sleep the previous night I'd get gas in the afternoons. A successful IBS diet should work all the time. Normal people get constipation too if they don't get enough sleep - but they don't get the gas that we get.

It's a bit of a balancing act. I know I'm carbohydrate intolerant and that the gas from this seems to impede motility somehow. The longer and gassier the morning BMs the more likely I'm going to have gas that day as I haven't fully evacuated. But too much protein is constipating for me so it's finding the right balance.

Lately, I usually only have a few gasses during the day.

I was having sketchy results having salads for lunch. If I lacked enough sleep the previous night I'd get gas in the afternoons. A true IBS diet cure should work regardless of whether or not you get enough sleep, get stressed, eat late at night etc.

The higher protein, lower carb diet seems to work extremely well, assuming that your main problem is carbohydrate intolerance. I'm hoping to gradually add one carb at a time. If I eat food that I can digest well - and also food that doesn't constipate - I have normal BMs with little to no gas, and definitely no leaky gas and my stools smooth and easily expelled.

This thread might be confusing with so many good days and bad days but this is what it's like.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I don't take meds at all, but over the last week or so have been taking probiotics. It's only got 2 types: acidophilus & bifidobacteria.

Breakfast is always porridge (oats) with 3 cups of tea, nothing else.

5/3/15 Thursday

first day of low starch diet.

Got up 7 am. BMs: 8.40, 9.25, 10.10 (2 hrs)

lunch: salad - lettuce tomato carrot & cheese. potato scallop 4.30.

dinner: 2 bowls ham hock soup (quite fatty) with well cooked potato, pumpkin & carrot, some well-cooked broccoli, banana & yoghurt, 3 small chocolates.

usual gas p.m.

bed 10 pm. slept well

·
Registered
744 Posts
6/3/15 Friday

got up 5.45 am.

BMs: 6.50 to 8.10. 1.5 HRS.

lunch: usual salad & cheese

Gas: very good. no gas till after lettuce and only 1. Next one not till after 5.30.

(first time ever negligible gas at work unless under-ate previous day)

lunch at work: salad - lettuce tomato carrot with cheese, 2 eggs, grapes

2 bowls ham hock soup & vege soup (didn't discard the fat) 6.00 pm

bowl ice cream. 1 choc.

fried mushrooms in butter late (11 pm?). yoghurt. some chocs.

bed midnight.

Questions: best day ever but ate potato scallop yesterday? Just under starch threshold?

·
Registered
744 Posts
8/3/15 Sunday.

Got up 6 am. BMs: 7.15 to 7.40 (0.5 hours)

lunch:

dinner: lettuce carrot tomato cheese orange grapes. caulifower au gratin.

large mushroom fried in butter

piece fish in coconut milk. (very full)

fair bit of gas started afternoon and at night.

bed 10.00. slept well.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
9/3/15 Monday

got up 5.30.

BMs from 6.45 to 7.14. 0.5 hours. (felt incomplete evacuation but not used to quick evacuation?)

very good at work. Only one gas after lettuce. lunch - grazing from 12 to 3: lettuce tomato carrot cheese, 2 eggs

dinner: wagyu beef patty with lettuce tomato beetroot. banana & yoghurt. grapes. orange.

felt hungry 10 pm. About 10 almonds.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
10/3/15 Tuesday

got up 6 am. BMs 7.30 to 8.30 (1 hour)

7.40 diarrhea-ish, watery

tummy rumbly (from almonds?)

blew nose 8.20 - more diarrhea-ish BM.

Gas until afternoon. Felt unsettled until then.

lunch: lettuce tomato 2 eggs, cheese

dinner: large polish sausage (fatty), caulifower au gratin, grapes, banana & yoghurt. ice cream. bed 9.30.

questions:

almonds low starch but too much fibre?

Do the probiotics make any difference?

·
Community Manager
13,189 Posts
maybe it's a reaction to all that fat? some people say a high fat diet gives them D or loose stools...eating a tbl or so of olive oil daily is often recommended for people with C. it can loosen you up.

or, yes, it could be the probiotics...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
11/3/15 Wednesday

got up 5.35. BMs from 6.50 to 7.52 (1 hour)

felt clear from 7.52 on

lunch at work: hard boiled egg & Kransky sausage (spicy fatty) 11.00 am, 3 bad gas soon after (from nitrates?), usual salad (lettuce tomato carrot) & cheese (no gas after these)

Total gas at work = 5, from 12.00 to 2.45 pm. No gas from then until 7.00 pm.

Dinner 7 to 8 pm. Orange. 1/2 roast chicken. (1 gas), mashed potato & pumpkin, banana & yoghurt (no gas till later in the night)

comments: sausage preservatives cause gas? BMs are still narrow, broken. No full, complete BMs yet.

·
Registered
744 Posts
12/3/15 Thursday

Woke at 4.30, couldn't sleep. Quite a few gasses. BM at 6.00 am (no breakfast or cups of tea yet)

comments: very unusual for me. Due to irritation from Kransky sausage?

breakfast: 6.30. BMs 7.17 to 8.50. Due to nitrates in sausage or over-eating (1/2 chicken Wednesday night)?

Just plain wholefoods from now on and no more over-eating.

lettuce, tomato & cheese mid-day.

Dinner 6.00 pm. pork chop, mashed potato & pumpkin with green beans. Banana & yoghurt. (nothing else)

Reasonably satisfied but not overly full.

Bed 9.30.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
13/3/15 Friday.

Got up 5.45. BMs from 7.15 to 7.50. 35 minutes.

Very good at work. Only one small gas at 2.30. And 2 going home in the car. (These were all light, digestion gasses)

Grazed on salad veges (lettuce, tomato, 2 small carrots, grapes & a piece of cheese from 10.30 to 3.30.

Well, the good news is this is definitely the diet to cure leaky gas. The downside is that despite grazing on salad pretty much all day I still felt vaguely hungry. Not starving hungry, but still feeling like I wanted to eat more.

I couldn't wait to get home and fill up on a large KFC mashed potato.

(This has some wheat in the gravy but shouldn't be enough to matter. Mashed potato, unlike baked potato, is fairly low starch)

I'm going to start experimenting very carefully with coconut breads.

I need a non-starch food that doesn't cause gas at work and that will help to fill me up. I don't like eating a lot of meat as I have this just about every night anyway.

*** WARNING *** if you start eating salads and they give you a lot of gas or worse, spasms, stop eating.

For lunch you might be better off with just plain mashed potato and pumpkin and some ham.

You don't have to have salad for lunch. I just don't want vegetables because I have these at night and want some variety.

When you start eating salads, have a tiny bit of each vegetable to start with. The next day add a bit more. This helps to gradually become tolerant to the fibre.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bloating for me means mainly food residue that didn't digest properly, rather than digestion gas that seems to come out straight away. I used to have bad leaky gas at work because most of the gas was from incomplete evacuation. What this meant was that if I ate a lot of refined starch for instance it wouldn't eliminate easily the next morning. I think a lot of us here have this, where the stool is mushy and broken and there's long delays between BMs. On a bad day elimination can take 2 hours or more, on a good day 20 minutes to half an hour, but a lot depends on overeating too and this is my biggest weaknesss. You can't digest your food properly if you overeat. But once I'm completely evacuated there's no gas at all until I eat again, and that's only minor. If I eat salads during the day there is only a small amount of digestion gas. The downside is that salads aren't a satisfying food so it's not an easy diet to stick to.

·
Registered
744 Posts
21/3/15

Had the best day ever on Saturday. A 7 minute, complete evacuation. My BM's are usually mushy and explosive (gassy) but these 2 were smooth and effortless. I wasn't getting consistent results with the salads. If I didn't get enough sleep for instance I'd get gas in the afternoons the next day.

This is the diet I had the previous day:

Cooked porridge oats for breakfast, pot of tea
Lunch at work: slices of ham, small block of hard cheese, 2 eggs
Dinner: 7.00 pm. Grapes, 1/2 roast chicken, large bowl mashed potato & pumpkin, dessert: icecream.
Piece of cheese and more grapes at 10.00 pm. Bed 10.30.

This isn't a healthy diet at all. It's very high in protein and low in carb, but it worked wonders. I'm not intending this to be a permanent diet, as I can't just eat protein for the rest of my life. I'm going to gradually add one carb at a time to test things, starting with the easy to digest low FODMAP vegetables.

I shouldn't have said "I've cured my IBS" in the opening title. What I've cured is the IBS symptoms. I still haven't found out what carbohydrates I'm intolerant to. I know high FODMAPs and starches are the worst carbs for me. I doubt I can ever go back to eating pizzas, white refined flour etc but I'd be happy if I could eat high FODMAPs like cauliflower again. I'm just experimenting with one carb at a time.

I strongly advise anyone with Leaky Gas and maybe other IBS types as well to give this a go. This is a reddit forum and a lot of people - even those with diarrhea - have had success with a very similar diet, the Ketogenic diet

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/1dqe88

·
Registered
72 Posts
I found oats to be quite the trigger in terms of gas, although they did help the BMs big time. You feel oats don't contribute much gas wise? Perhaps I'm due to trial them again...

Low carb is definitely the way to go. I'm so severely underweight I don't think I can manage it though...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I eat the quick cook oats and I don't think they give me gas but I go after breakfast so it's hard to tell. I graze on food pretty well all day, so my calorie intake is probably about the same. I eat a lot more cheese and eggs and meat than I used to and they'd be fairly high calorie. I think the worst foods for me gas-wise were the starches, especially the grain starches. Since I gave those up I've had very little gas. I seem to tolerate mashed potato fairly well and it's fairly high calorie, being a starch.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
23/3/15

Really bad constipation for just over an hour this morning. I've never had constipation before where it was quite solid and lumpy. I could feel it was there the whole time but it just wouldn't budge. This was a horrible experience and I would rather have gas than go through that again.

This was my diet yesterday (not recommended!)

lunch: 2 pork sausages, 2 eggs, cheese, chocolate ice-block

dinner: 1 pork sausage, 2 eggs, cheese, mashed potato & pumpkin, some green beans, ice-cream

bed 10 pm. slept well.

This is the type of constipation that normal people get! Obviously I overdid the protein. After the hour was up it all rushed down in one lot though, and I was good after that. Only 2 gasses after lunch today and I haven't had any gas after dinner yet. As bad as the constipation was, at least it was all in the sigmoid / rectum (I'm guessing). Since I gave up grain starches I'm not getting those huge delays between BMs anymore where I think the stool is still coming down the colon all throughout the day.

lunch: tomato, 1/2 carrot, grapes, cheese, some cream cake (everyone in the office had it so I had to have some)

Dinner:

an orange and some grapes

2 bacon shortcut pieces, mashed potato and pumpkin, green beans

piece of cheese

large bowl of yoghurt

1 - 20 of 27 Posts