Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 7 years of nauseau, pooping, loss of weight, oss of energy; not being able to travel; being boring to everyone (my husband is sleeping soundly after I tried to explain my problems, for the 1000th time tonight) my doctors ( 7 of them, in the past 6 years.. discount me as just a woman with some sort of stomach problem.. Just "IBS/

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I am very sorry you feel this way. I think depression and frustration go hand in hand with IBS sufferers. I think most of us have been where you are at one time or another. That does not lesson what you feel...but I hope take comfort in that you aren't alone.I strongly urge you to contact a counsellor...your doctor..a crisis line etc. There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking and receiving help. The one thing that really kept me going at my lowest was those I love. Could I fathom leaving them...having them suffer my loss without me? Did I want to have my own family go through what I was feeling...alone...depressed...no future. Because that IS what those who you leave behind will feel if you decide to go. Pretty selfish, isn't it? You seem a caring individual...don't do that to those you love...even if you don't care for yourself.We are here...but we can only do so much. You have to do the rest for YOU. Please...call a crisis line in your area if you come close to slitting your wrists or anything close to that.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Libbys, You are important to all of us here and we need each other. Don't you ever give up! I'm sure you are bound to find help and it may be just around the corner. Don't be afraid to change doctors make them listen to your problems and also they took an oath to help the sick. You have friends here who will listen and try to help you and you in turn can help others. Your Ma. neighbor,Charlie

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It CAN get better. I'm living proof of that. If I'd given up years ago, I would have never experienced so many things, and I'm so glad I stuck it out. You can do it too!! The people on this board helped me so much. And there is so much valuable information on here. Between this board and a good doctor, you CAN find a way to manage your symptoms better.Don't give up!!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Dear Libbys,Please, please do not do anything drastic. I know the Hell you are living in now. I have been there, too. It took me 5 GIs until I found one who listened, did ALL the tests, and didn't blow me off as having something all in my head or a nervous stomach.Please tell me everything you have been tested for. Have you been scoped? I noticed that you recently posted about H. Pylori. Have you been tested for that? That turned out to be the root of my IBS problems. I had active H. Pylori infection which caused acute, chronic gastritis and duodenal ulcers.You mentioned your problems started 7 years ago. Did this coincide with any other event, perhaps an illness you might have had, travel in a foreign country, divorce, death, etc? Have you tried Mike Mahoney's hypnotherapy tapes?I knew there had to be something organic going on with my condition because I never had any GI issues until I became sick in a foreign country. I refused to be blown off as a neurotic hypochondriac, though. Like I said, I got the brush-off 5 times before I found a GI who would listen. I was in hell and constant pain for a few years and even had to put off getting pregnant, but thank goodness I finally found a doctor who helped.What medicines have you tried? Have you tried Reglan or a PPI such as Nexium, Prilosec, etc.Please don't give up. We are here for you. Please feel free to email me or PM me anytime and I will help you in any way I can. Stacey

·
Registered
550 Posts
Libby's, never give up hope they will find a cure for IBS. Like you, I have had IBS for 7 year's and yes, it has changed my life.Please call a friend or the Crisis Line if you need immediate help. Don't give up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi, Libby's! Your message came at the perfect time, that is exactly what I am feeling right now, have been for over a year now!! It made me feel a little better to see I'm not the only one who does not want to live anymore, who is sick and tired of all this pain and lack of caring in the medical community! I come to this board because misery loves company. I certainly do not get much sympathy from my family, I think my husband feels the same way yours does. He is probaby sick and tired of hearing me complain about being in pain every day :-(Only things that keep me alive is that it would devastate my grown kids and that I might go to hell. I tell you, though, today I was thinking the exact same thing you were! Although I was thinking about ODing on something, just sleep yourself to death. With my luck, it wouldn't work and I'd end up alive but with a messed up liver.*sigh*LoriMiserable in CO

G

·
Libbys,I have had IBS for more than 20 years. I know how awful it can be, but believe me there are good times to go with the bad.I have traveled all over the world successfully, as well as around the US. If you hang in there you will find a way that makes it easier to cope.Just remember that even in the gloom a light is waiting for you. Not to mention the outstretched hands of us here on the board.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
Thanks for sharing that. My hope leaves me at times and I get those same bad thoughts. I used to be always sick but most of the time I had hope. Now, I am getting better but when things cave in I become hopeless real quick. Tonight I had another bad asthma attack after I ate and then the rest of the night I became incredibly discouraged.

G

·
Libbys,I have felt like you have before, very intensely. I won't sugar coat IBS, and its true..in the end you are in control of your life. And you can end your life, sometimes when things feel really bad, to realize that is comforting, but if you have the power and gall to make such a bold and brave move, you might want to try some other bold and brave moves first. The first one would be to not stop until you find a caring and a sympathetic doctor. I imagine a lot of the grief you feel, and you've even expressed this, is based not only in your horrible symptoms but that you do not have anyone who understands or empathizes with how you feel. That must make you feel very alone and crazy even. Sure, we on the board understand, but I think its very important that your doctor understands how you are being affected and your husband too. If you are in pain and miserable and no one gets it, no wonder you've had to explain it to your husband a million times. You are just trying to be heard. I did this too and finally I found someone who got it and now when I feel bad he just knows and understands and I don't have to ######. I found a doctor who is sympathetic as well. Just knowing that my pain is heard helps me get through the bad times. Before you do anything rash, I hope you fight for yourself enough to be heard. We are listening too, if you want to talk. PM me, if you'd like.-Susan

·
Registered
105 Posts
Dear Libbys & others who feel that they can't carry on,Please, please don't give up. I know it takes a lot of courage to carry on when everything seems hopeless but there is hope. There is so much medical research being done and new treatments for various illnesses are being discovered all the time. I am sure that effective treatments/cures for IBS will be found and it would be so tragic if you were not around to benefit from them when they are found.Libbys, like others have already said, please find a new doctor. You have the right to be taken seriously by your doctor. Since your present doctor seems to be treating you like a hysterical woman, perhaps you should insist upon seeing a female doctor. Perhaps you could ask around people you know to get a good recommendation of a caring, female doctor in your local area. Maybe the doctor you find will then be able to explain exactly what you're going through to your husband. Then you won't feel so alone. I belong to a support group for another medical condition and many of my friends in that group have benefitted from seeing counsellors, particularly those who are experienced in helping people with chronic or life-altering medical conditions. You may find this helpful.Please keep fighting. Please don't let this illness win.Love, ClareM

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To all of you who responded to my very low, low message, I thank you from the bottom of my heart!Stacey - you mentioned Reglan, ppi, nexium, etc. I have NO idea what these are. Can you enumerate! They've tried me on Levsin, Wellbutrin, Prozac. Clidinium, Lipram.. God knows what! The anti-depressants make me dingy and the others didn't effect my stomach. Also, why would I have a H Pylori if I don't have an ulcer? My husband had that bug that sounds like an Italian sports car... ghiardia?? about 8 years ago and I've been tested for that. I've told every doc I've seen that the only relief I get comes at night when I have a drink and that I suspect I have some small bug that is put to sleep by the alcohol but they all look at me as if I were nuts. Oh well.. onward and let me know about the meds you mentioned. Oh! Does anyone know of a sympathetic female doc in Albany, NY or Springfield Ma? Thanks again to all of you! Libbys

·
Registered
368 Posts
Dear Libby, I just wanted to say that I had a close family member kill themselves b/c of a disease and they thought no one cared.....The line at the wake was out the door for 2 and a half hours with people that loved him. Just when you think life isn't worth living anymore, think about the people that love and care about you and how sad they will be without you. I've had IBS since I was 13 and I'm 23 now, its hard, I know but life is worth living!!!! :love:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dear Tamgirl21 - I'm old enough to be your GRANDMA but it doesn't matter, does it.. as it's an awful syndrome.. or whatever! At least they'll have found the answer to your prob before you get to my age! Thank you for your nice response. I'm going to be fine.. won't allow myself to think suicidal thoughts anymore as I have two great daughters near to your age and want to be around (even if near the john) to see them grow and grow. thanks again and I hope you have a really good "doc" who's looking after you.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I would have killed myself long ago if it were not for my relationship with Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. He has a plan for all of those willing to believe in Him. Without faith in Him, life would seem totally pointless.I hope and pray that you (and all IBS sufferers) will someday find relief from the pain and discomfort.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Dear Libby, Thank you for responding, I hope you are feeling better!!!!!! Actually I am going for my 1st colonoscopy after 10 yrs with this ####!!!! To AD: I really like what you wrote, faith in God has really helped me through some tough times as well!! :love:

G

·
Libbys,So glad you are feeling better
. I wanted to tell you that things do get better. I had been feeling quite hopeless lately as well and today for the first time in my life I had no symptoms of ibs for 8 hours!! This has never really happened to me. Its such a change that I know I'm on to something. I'm doing hypnotherapy, by the way.Anyway, I've always felt that one good thing about ibs is that the doctors know so little. That gives me hope! I know that sounds strange, but to me it just means there's a big chance they'll find something that will help us soon. By the way, alcohol helps me too and its not just the sedative effect of it. Unfortunately though, the day after I feel worse than ever. There's a post on this board about a new drug they think could really help ibs and its used to treat alcoholism-interesting! They think the ibs mechanism has something to do with opiates in our bodies or how we respond to opiate levels(I guess alcohol changes your level of opiates). I think its interesting that so many of us respond severely one way or another to alcohol and I'm just considering it another reason to hang in there-as they may be on to something this time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.