Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have lost my mind. My problems began 4/99 when I was 4 1/2 months pregnant. I was told the fetus had no brain. I terminated the pregnancy. I was placed on antibiotics for the termination. Three weeks later I had a sinus infection (boom more antibiotics). Three weeks after that they thought I had a UTI (I had a cyst on my ovary from the pregnancy and it was rupturing). Suddenly I had taken over 6 weeks of antibiotics and boom diarrhea and nausea so bad that I couldn't eat for 1 month and lost 15 lbs which I can't afford. I am 5'9 and 135 lbs. Then in Oct 99, a piece of furniture fell on my toe and it crushed my toe so that the skin exploded and I had stiches. I had to have surgery on the toe with 5 pins sticking out. I was placed on over 8,000 mg of antibiotics in a one week period. I was in a wheelchair for 5 weeks then in a cast for 8 weeks. When they pulled my pins out they saw signs of infection so, again 1,700 mg a day for one month of antibiotics. Jan. 2000, I started urinary frequency and it hasn't stopped. The Urologist placed me on Detrol in April 2000. I almost got hurt by something falling at a grocery store and my heart started pounding and never stopped. I went to the ER and they determined that the Detrol was causing the Tachycardia. They suggested I see my Cardiologist since I already had Mitral Valve Prolapse. May 2000, I had my appt. with the Cardiologist. He ran an 24 hour EKG (normal) and an Echo (showed fluid around my heart). When he told me I almost passed out. I was tested for Lupus, TB, Rheumatoid Arthritis, CBC. All normal. He sent me for a CAT Scan of the chest and they said nothing they saw showed why I had the fluid but it wasn't effecting my heart. They did find on the Cat Scan a solid lesion on my liver. August 2000 they sent me for an MRI of the liver. Turned out it was a Hemangioma (no big deal). Turned out I was born with the fluid around my heart and it's only a teeny tiny amount. One month ago I began feeling gas vaginally or at least that's what I think it is. I went to the GI and he sent me for more tests (all negative) Since 4/99 I have had 2 cystoscopy's, 1 sigmoidoscopy, 1 endoscopy, barium enema, upper GI series, 10 vaginal sonograms, Cat scan, MRI, hystosonogram, chest xray and over 5 complete blood counts. All normal. They are telling me my urinary frequency is from the irritation of the IBS. I have convinced myself it's life threatening but, logically if that was the case it's been almost 2 years since then and I am still here with all tests still reading negative.------------------Jill

·
Registered
273 Posts
Have you ever had blood tests for Estrogen,Progesterone and FSH levels? I had premature ovarian failure (Menopause,and I was still menstrating),but my acid reflux and IBS were out of control,even with diet and drugs. After the tests came back-I was in Menopause-and after much ado-I wear the Estradiol patch-made from soy, and it stopped my palpatations and hotflashes,and helped my ability to fight infections. I feel these hormonal tests should be standard,and are as important,as a pap smear. Not only can one problem be hard, but several are terrible, until you can eventually uncover them and start the process of attending to them.I would recommend therapy until you can cope and deal with your situation. God bless. [This message has been edited by Sequoia (edited 03-06-2001).]

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Wow, you have really been through the wringer! With all of the blood work that they did, did they do a thyroid panel? Looks like they checked for several autoimmune disorders.I'm asking because with my thyroid disorder I had hot flashes, tachycardia, diarrhea, irritability, frequent urination, anxiety, panic and a host of other symptoms that would wax and wane. My thyroid disorder also can cause congestive heart failure if left untreated.------------------Join me at http://www.mediboard.com to discuss Graves' disease and other thyroid disorders!Diagnosed with Graves' 4/99, treated with anti-thyroid drugs and beta blockers since.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about I have had every test. Thyroid, hormones. My progesterone is the only thing a little low. I ovulate and everything. I am only 34. After the termination I convinced myself that the cyst on my ovary was cancer because it looked abnormal. I made them give me the ca-125 and a doppler u/s. CA-125 was 6 and doppler was normal. Then the cyst was gone which meant it was a normal cyst. At least once a week I think I cancer and the Drs just can't find it. My new Dr. said if that was the case and it was left untreated for 2 years I would have been dead by now. That does make sense.------------------Jill

·
Registered
273 Posts
You state your progesterone is alittle low-that regulates your ability to shed the uterine lining-when progesterone is low,your uterine contractions, while shedding, can mimic ad intensify IBS spasms. Do you have PMS alot? Taking progesterone 7 days out of the month, can be a god send! I only reaped one month benefit from it, before my periods stopped all together> Will the gyn let you try this,if your having more pain before and after your mensus?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, no cramps practically at all during my period. My uterine lining is thin right after my period. All seems normal there except my cramps stopped. No one can find anything wrong with me except IBS. Actually, the IBS only acts up when I eat something with fiber. The urinary frequency and what feels like a vaginal fistula is what is bothering me the most.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
---------------------------------------------Actually, the IBS only acts up when I eat something with fiber.---------------------------------------------OK - this point jumped out at me - which particularly fibre products cause you problems? is it wheat products?Have you discussed this with your doctor? The reason I'm jumping on this is that my problems all relate to wheat - so everytime I was eating wheat for fibre - I would get these pains and cramping - hence I'm being tested for Celiac's.I'm not trying to scare you or anything, just wondering if your doctor has considered this?Clair

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I am curious, what is a vaginal sonogram and what does it look for. I too have air passing through my vaginal opening and have had no tests except for an ultrasound, is that the same thing? I believe that my fistula is attached to my uterus or my ovaries since it can't be seen by an internal exam (with camera). I have been to a colorectal surgeon and he could not find it and told me that until stool passed through it, not to worry about it. I would rather take medication to close it up than wait for it to get big enough for stool to pass through!! By the way, a fistula is from either severe endometriosis or IBD not IBS. There are other rare conditions in which fistuals can grow but I can't remember them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A fistula does not come from endo. It can come from surgery for endo. The other reasons are IBD, Crohns, Radiation Therapy, previous pelvic surgery and different forms of cancer. I have had every test and they can't find anything. My Urogynecologist said that I have no reason to have a fistula and they are rare. I only get a tiny bubble so they think it's not air. I have had a barium enema, upper gi and a cystoscopy. They said the ultrasound wouldn't show it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Two weeks after giving birth to my first child (which involved a whopper of a tear, all the way to the rectum) I found I was able to pass gas through my vagina. Oh, how cool is that? It was found I had a fistula between the rectal and vaginal walls caused by incomplete sewing up of the episiotomy/tear. Six months later, I went in the hospital and they cut that wall and sewed it back up again. After my second child was born, I regained my ability to vaginally fart. The doctors swear there is no fistula again and, in fact it did not show up on my barium enema, but I know it's there somewhere. I've often wondered if all this messing up of this wall has anything to do w/the bowel problems I have. I don't think it does because the bowel problems start higher up. Anyway, is there any chance you have this type of fistula? They are very difficult to detect.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I doubt it since I haven't given birth in 5 years and my termination was 2 years ago and never had this trouble until 1 month ago. My Uncle is a Gyne in New Jersey and he said no chance of having a fistula.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Strange Paie because that is what my gynecologist told me about fistulas. Do not believe anyone that says the air is normal and that you do not have a fistula. You would know, not only have you had one before but it is your body and you know what is normal and what is not. Sometimes they are so small that you can't find them until they get worse. I have more than just bubbles coming out of mine it is really big farts. Could you please answer my original question Paie?Thanks[This message has been edited by Nicol (edited 03-05-2001).]

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They said that they don't think what I am feeling is an air bubble. I just feel a feeling like a pea is stuck and I think it's from my urethra. I had a cystoscopy which would have shown it and I don't have any reason to have one soooo, guess not. An u/s shows your ovaries, uterus, bladder. They check for fluid in the abdomen, if there are cysts on your ovaries, if you have fibroids or your endometrial lining is thick or thin from having or not having a period. An u/s by no way shows if you have a fistula. My Dr said that a fistula generally doesn't enlarge. I go to the top GI, Urologist and Urogynecologist and they all said they don't think I have one because I have taken so many tests. They also said that even if I had a tiny one the Barium Enema would have shown it.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
You know Paie that is odd because a few Dr's have told me that it is very hard to find a fistula and if they don't see it within the first few seconds of a barium enema then they won't see it at all. I have friends who started out with the air bubble thing and ended up with stool coming through. All of their first tests were negative as well. They can and do get bigger, especially if IBD is present. I actually get large "farts" coming out and sometimes I just fart out the wrong place. They keep asking me if I am sure it is coming out of my vagina, like I wouldn't KNOW! What idiots! Keep an eye on it and if it gets worse go back and hound your GI. You can go and see a colorectal surgeon but they will only be able to see it if it is in the vaginal wall and not higher up in the uterus or ovaries. I found mine doing sit ups and let me just say that I have had to c-sections so why on earth would air just start passing through one day if nothing has changed?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, but I don't have IBD and I have never had pelvic surgery. So, where would it come from. I was told by a Colorectal Surgeon to ingest charcoal and insert a tampon vaginally. Leave it there for a few hours and then take it out. If there is nothing on the tampon there is no fistula. What I am saying is you have had previous surgeries. I haven't had any. I don't have IBD and never had anything else. You CANNOT have a fistula in the ovary. That doesn't make sense causing gas in the vagina. The intestine is what carries gas that would be the way that you are expelling gas vaginally. The only other way would be if the fistula was between the bladder and vagina. I had a cystoscopy which views the bladder physically with a camera inside the bladder and the Dr saw nothing wrong with the bladder at all. I had a sigmoidoscopy as well and nothing.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Fistulas can form anywhere. One guy had them all wrapped around the outside of his colon, people have had them going to thier gallbladders, as well and some even come out of the skin. I will try the charcoal thing and see if it works but it should take longer than a few hours, otherwise how else is the charcoal going to get into the colon digestion does take some time. The fistula I have is originating from my colon and going somewhere near my vagina, hence the air passing through is gas. I never had my bladder checked but do not think it is there. I have pushed farts out and they have come out of my vagina. Are you sure you do not have IBD? It can take a long time to manifest and you can have many symptoms including fistulas before an IBD diagnosis. It may not be the norm but I do know of people that this has happened to. It think this is a very good exchange of information Paie.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nicol - did you do the charcoal test? I spoke with a famous Radiologist here and to 4 Gynecologists and 2 GI's and they all said if ALL of my tests were normal there is no fistula. I will say my bubble that I feels comes after I urinate and if I push on it it doesn't move. It can sit there for over 5 hours and doesn't move sometimes. Dr's say that it doesn't sound like a fistula. The charcoal test for me was negative 3 times. I left the tampon in for 6 hours each time. It would be in my colon because the black color was in my stool.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I had a Fistula after the birth of my second child. It was cauterized-and that seemed to take care of the problem for the time being but after my third child was born, it was back. My Gyne did surgery to fix it and I no longer have stool seeping from the vagina but do still have the air that passes through the vagina sometimes. It's a real pain but I don't know what else to do about it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.