Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Banned
5,762 Posts
not really. it's just a hypothesis i'm playing with but it makes senseif you put it together with the research onfriend and befriend rather than fight or flight which gives clues about why women tend to have some health problems and maybe some men who tend to nurture as well.tom

· Banned
5,762 Posts
the paper I have says, "Their ultimate diagnosis was spastic colitis, which today would be described as irritable bowel syndrome." That's close enough for me.and Judy, I don't understand. Are you saying he was not nurturing?tom

· Banned
5,762 Posts
Judy, Take a look at the thread on befriend vs. fight or flight, I think it was called and read the article. women tend to befriend and men to fight according to the research which is pretty good. This is related to hormonal differences. As I said at the start this is speculative and only relates to conflict situations. It's also not a value judgement as it's based on me and the observation that a lot of men in the helping professions (and women, too) have IBS. this is not a causal kind of thing and it's not simple. It might mean, for example, that out of 10 women with IBS, 8 might be nurturers and 2 might be fighters and out of 10 men with IBS 6 might be nurturs and 4 might be fighters while in the general population 70 percent of women are nurturers and 30 percent of men are nurturers. It certainly has nothing to do with JFK's manhood. i personally consider nurturing males more 'manly' than fighters. let's take this off the board and send me a bc message if I've still got you confused by bringing this up.tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.