Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to work full time this summer (I'm a 19 yr old college student in San Diego) and am looking for a job where its relaxed and won't look bad if I have to make frequent trips to the potty. Anyone have suggestions for types of jobs that fit that? I love working with people and kids so I thought maybe daycare, but I just don't know. This IBS really stops me from working where I want to.------------------19 year old female, college student,*D* type taking Caltrate Plus. Email me to chat

G

·
Hi, I haven't acutally had that many summer jobs, but I'd think that working in a library, (reshelving, etc, not at the front desk) would be low key. I would stay away from sales type positions, (obviously, huh?) Have you checked on campus for work study jobs open? Sometimes those involve a lot of leg work but little "in front of people" time. The watching kids option sounds fun, but remember that you often can't leave them at all for a minute. If you're worried about it, I would investigate to see if you would be "in charge" or helping out. San Diego, eh? What about pd internships? You might as well try for a job in a place within your chosen career field, then you can investigate how difficult it might be to work in that field with your IBS? I hope this has helped. What field are you interested in? That might help choosing. I personally would like to help out at the zoo, but I bet those are hard to come by, eh?
San Diego is cool!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hello, I have worked in three different day care centers over the past six years. I am presently getting a masters in education (JUNE) and looking for teaching positions. I have found working in day care to be fun, layed back (especially in the summer) and usually easy to get to the bathroom. Providing they dont stick you with your own group. usually day care's have two or three adults per group of children. You can get really close with the people in this type of situation which is great for opening up and letting them know the situation.Also, in summers past, I have been a nanny. This job is a great one for IBS because you are the adult, and even when you take the kids out, they usually need to go to the b room more than you do. Where I live, you can charge ten dollars per hour (no taxes) and after forty hours a week, you pull away with 400 dollars. not too bad for a nineteen year old who hasnt finished college yet!LALA

1 - 3 of 3 Posts