Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how supportive your jobs/employers have been?Do you tell your employer or hide it? (as if that's possibel)spHas anyone ever been fired because of their IBS problems?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
My employer has been very understanding but his daughter suffers with mild-IBS. He does not mind if I adjust my hours if I have doctor appointments or therapy sessions or even if I need to go home and rest. I think I am very luckY!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
My employer was very understanding. Even though that made things harder on everyone for awhile.A lot of it has to do with your attitude as you talk to them about it. If you come off as a whiner who is trying to get out of doing work they may be less understanding than if you come off as having a difficulty that you are working on overcoming and are moving toward finding a way that ends up benifiting both you and the employer.K

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have not gotten specific with my boss; just told him I have a "digestive disorder" and that I was being tested for food allergies (allergies and intolerances... bosses don't need to know the difference). But he's really cool about it and when I ended up in the hospital last June he figured that it was quite serious. As long as I work my 40hours per week, he doesn't care which 40 (except right now... I'm doing post-holiday customer support, so I need to be here when everyone else is).------------------JennT

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if it's going to affect your job you should explain IBS to your boss. i suggest using a pamphlet or a printout to help with this. a doctor's note always helps too. just as long as your boss know that IBS is a REAL ILLNESS there shouldn't be any problems...

·
Registered
236 Posts
The job I'm at now, almost two years in March, is a godsend in many ways. The work itself fulfilling. The publisher's a pain, but my immediate boss, the office manager, also has IBS, so it's like instant understanding. I have never found revealing my IBS to be a problem, except for myself and my expectations.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm glad that everyone seems to have understanding emmployers. I haven't told my boss yet but one of the ladies that I work with knows.I'm just a little aprehensive still. I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression and I am a very private person. I guess I will say something eventually

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At some point I realized that if I don't tell my boss what I have, I may loose my job or my mind.So I told my boss, not in details though. I felt much better after that. He is trying to be supportive but I have this feeling of GUILT that I need to miss more days due to not feeling good or tests, and sometimes I have to work from home and call-in for meetings, and also leave meetings because my symptoms get worse...I am a very private person. The only thing that's on my mind lately is what do other co-workers think about me (all of them are older men)? Should I tell the whole group and get it over with?

·
Registered
395 Posts
My former boss knew about my IBS and was very understanding about it. However, as my IBS became worse, I became more uncomfortable with the job. I've been a travel agent for twelve years and it got to the point where I would go all day without eating out of fear that I'd have to run to the bathroom while there was a client at my desk planning a vacation. Working by phone was okay, but the walk-in clients could really intimidate me. Just thinking about it would get my tummy rumbling. Now I work from my as an independent travel consultant and it's great. I'm my own boss and I don't ever have to worry about getting to the bathroom!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I almost lost a job due to it, but most of it was because at that time I didn't know what it was and as they said (and I hate this) "I'd look fine while at work, so people would wonder how I could get sick so often" I've had two different employers say that to me!!! It's been a problem when I was really bad off and they (especially the company nurse and doctors) didn't view IBS as that serious of a problem.But I'm much better off now so it doesn't interfere as much.Ty

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.