Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that having IBS well that's what we supposibly have, is hard. It's hard to have IBS in everyday life like at our jobs, social gatherings, etc. I'm just wondering everybodys age and what kind of job everybody here has?I have IBS C

·
Registered
709 Posts
i'm 25 and work in a library...it's big with lotsa bathrooms (thank god)...it's tough though, doing any job with ibs...ibs has no timetable whereas a job requires you to be here at this time, go there at that time, etc.--not very compatible, work and ibs...

·
Registered
709 Posts
i'm 25 and work in a library...it's big with lotsa bathrooms (thank god)...it's tough though, doing any job with ibs...ibs has no timetable whereas a job requires you to be here at this time, go there at that time, etc.--not very compatible, work and ibs...

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Yeah,irritable and work are not simple for most of us.But if you are already in a good position at your work,it may help to think at something else.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Yeah,irritable and work are not simple for most of us.But if you are already in a good position at your work,it may help to think at something else.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi everyone!I'm 21 and am currently working in a University. I do some research in the lab and some teaching undergrads, but I spend most of my time reading scientific papers in my office! It's good because unless I am in the lab with a participant (I'm doing research into how the brain makes sence of what we see), or teaching I can go to the toilets pretty much whenever I like and for as long as I need to.
It's only a short-term contract job though, and I'm leaving my 7 month stint at the end of the week. Then I have to move hundruds of miles (again!) to start a PhD this autumn. That should also be good becuase again, much of my time will be spent in my office (or even at home!!) reading.
Until then though, I'll be working in my local pub just to make the ends meet before the PhD starts... not sure how I'm gonna handle that one!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi everyone!I'm 21 and am currently working in a University. I do some research in the lab and some teaching undergrads, but I spend most of my time reading scientific papers in my office! It's good because unless I am in the lab with a participant (I'm doing research into how the brain makes sence of what we see), or teaching I can go to the toilets pretty much whenever I like and for as long as I need to.
It's only a short-term contract job though, and I'm leaving my 7 month stint at the end of the week. Then I have to move hundruds of miles (again!) to start a PhD this autumn. That should also be good becuase again, much of my time will be spent in my office (or even at home!!) reading.
Until then though, I'll be working in my local pub just to make the ends meet before the PhD starts... not sure how I'm gonna handle that one!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Great question shortyflygyrl! I'm 27 and have been milking out my college career in the hopes that a cure is right around the corner. I've been waiting tables for the past 9 years and have been fortunate enough to make a decent living, but at the expense of starving myself everyday I work. I've had IBS since I was 16 so I pretty much know what I can and can't do. It's sad to think that all I want out of life is an office or cubicle near a bathroom and a set schedule!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Great question shortyflygyrl! I'm 27 and have been milking out my college career in the hopes that a cure is right around the corner. I've been waiting tables for the past 9 years and have been fortunate enough to make a decent living, but at the expense of starving myself everyday I work. I've had IBS since I was 16 so I pretty much know what I can and can't do. It's sad to think that all I want out of life is an office or cubicle near a bathroom and a set schedule!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I am in a masters program and plan to do a PhD, specifically so I can work on my own time. I will probably be doing a little lab work and a good deal of computer work, so things should work out. I am already stressed about working in the real world again. I figure I have 5 years to figure this disease out. Oh, I am sorry, it's just a function "disorder." What a load of #### (literally).

·
Registered
353 Posts
I am in a masters program and plan to do a PhD, specifically so I can work on my own time. I will probably be doing a little lab work and a good deal of computer work, so things should work out. I am already stressed about working in the real world again. I figure I have 5 years to figure this disease out. Oh, I am sorry, it's just a function "disorder." What a load of #### (literally).

·
Registered
140 Posts
Great Question, shortyflygyrl....In response...short and to the point....Am 56...have had IBS-D for almost 14 years...Employed for the past 13 years, 3 mos. as a psych therapist in an all male, maximum security prison; work primarily with the murderers, rapists and child molesters. Have also worked part-time in a private practice and as an adjunct professor of psychology classes for adult continuing education.Sometimes I wonder on which side of the desk the crazy person is sitting !?!
Thank God for a private office, accessible quick restroom and employment...however, that walk across "the yard" twice a day to get in and out is certainly no "walk in the park" so to speak!!Happy Day to all !!!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Great Question, shortyflygyrl....In response...short and to the point....Am 56...have had IBS-D for almost 14 years...Employed for the past 13 years, 3 mos. as a psych therapist in an all male, maximum security prison; work primarily with the murderers, rapists and child molesters. Have also worked part-time in a private practice and as an adjunct professor of psychology classes for adult continuing education.Sometimes I wonder on which side of the desk the crazy person is sitting !?!
Thank God for a private office, accessible quick restroom and employment...however, that walk across "the yard" twice a day to get in and out is certainly no "walk in the park" so to speak!!Happy Day to all !!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am 26, about to turn 27. I am a high school teacher. Luckily,I have a bathroom near my classroom!! I have suffered for about 3 years, nothing seems to help, I REALLY don't want to go on antidepressants. Taking deep breaths and relaxing seem to help me the most, I can sometimes get myself into a panic when an attack hits.Right now, I feel fine. Just frustrated like most of us!Have a wonderful day all!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am 26, about to turn 27. I am a high school teacher. Luckily,I have a bathroom near my classroom!! I have suffered for about 3 years, nothing seems to help, I REALLY don't want to go on antidepressants. Taking deep breaths and relaxing seem to help me the most, I can sometimes get myself into a panic when an attack hits.Right now, I feel fine. Just frustrated like most of us!Have a wonderful day all!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.