Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.This is my first post hope you can give me some advise.My partner has suffered with IBS for years and really he just puts up with it, the doctor just keeps giving him the same old medicine one is Lactulose and can't remember the name of the other one, anyway they don't help much.One of the symptoms he is getting a lot is pains in his joints, and I was wondering if this was one of the symptoms of IBS? also he suffers with gallstones. What I would like to know is there anyone else out there that has the same symptoms? and is IBS, GALLSTONES, and JOINT PAINS all linked do you think? Oh and he feels very under the weather when he has these problems.Would appreciate any advise you can give me.Thank you
maddiemo

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have never heard of pains in the joints for IBS sufferers. Perhaps this is a coincidence or maybe a side effect of the medication. Try Cod Liver Oil tablets for the joint pain and see if this helps.Obviously the medication from his doctor is not working for his IBS, but perhaps some self help may be needed here, plus another visit to the doctor for them to do some more tests. Has he had blood and stool tests?What's his diet like? Has he done a food elimination process? The IBS could be aggrevated by dairy products or wheat, or too many vegetables or fatty foods.Exercise can really help too. If he is overweight, this can put pressure on the internal organs.Probiotics might help as the 'good bacteria' in this gut may be need 'topping up'The list is endless really, and it may take some time to work out what foods are aggrevating the problem.Good luck with this.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Actually, there is a related syndrome called "fibromyalgia." People with fibro often have IBS as well. Symptoms are pain in the soft tissues of the joints. It also manifests itself as a sleep disorder, as the pain often keeps people from a good night sleep. A good Dr. or Rhumetologist can do a fairly simple test for it.Treatment is an SSRI, but that is trial and error. I had good success with Zoloft, a low dose antidepressant. There is a forum on this BB for fibromyalgia.AZ

·
Registered
597 Posts
Joint pain is also possible with colitis. Most doctor's check for UC & crohns colitis but few check for microscopic colitis. The reason for this is that most doctors consider MC rare. But maybe if they checked for MC it wouldn't be rare?! Good Luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.