Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tough choice on the icons...Ok, for the past 15 years or so, off and on for a couple days I'd be intensely hungry but "suffered" for eating with bad cramping quite a few hours afterwards. I quickly learned to stop eating for a couple days or just deal with the cramps.I'm pregnant for the 4th time (3 kids) and 14 weeks along. For the past 8 weeks I've lost 45lb and have had SEVERE cramping - which has lately turned to constant pain in my small and lower intestines. I can pinpoint my pain (now, couldn't a few weeks ago). I've also had D (that is diahrieelielw, right?) which turned to C for a week (1st time in my LIFE) and now that I'm not eating, nothing is coming out. Oh, and D is like water when it happens. Not just loose.Had a GI consult - he was very nonchalant - I should just learn to "deal" with the pain - and wasn't really concerned at all about the weight loss or the fact that in order to avoid the pain, I am eating (and I use the term loosely) water (on really bad days after a particularly bad attack) or jello, clear bullion and tomato soup. Is this really living with IBS? He says after the baby is born and if I'm still in pain he'll do a colonoscopy (sorry if I butchered the spelling) to check for (again, spelling may be off) colitis.I'm not one for drugs - I'm on Zofran right now to decrease the vomiting (which allows me to keep soup down) but when the pain is bad everything comes up - even spit.Is this living with IBS? Is this what so many people are just "dealing with"? Am I just an incredible wimp?Has anyone tried this diet? http://www.scdiet.com/index.htm How about this? Nature's Sunshine Intestinal Soothe and Build (has Chamomle Flowers, Marshmellow root, Plantain Herb, Rose Hips, Slippery Elm Bark, and Bugleweed Herb)Thanks for any and all replies.ETA - has anyone tried this? http://www.microhosting.com/amp/ [This message has been edited by mamakat (edited 04-09-2001).][This message has been edited by mamakat (edited 04-09-2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Before you start taking anything, I would really go and get another opinion, coz you just can't risk taking stuff whilst pregnant, even herbals can be dangerous for the child.Do you think the vomiting is different to morning sickness? Did the pain come before or after the vomiting? Where exactly is the pain (left, right, hi, lo).If the doc hasn't checked you thoroughly, then go elsewhere coz you could have any number of things, including a grumbling appendix, bowel infection etc. IBS is a just a cop out if he doesn't want to check it further - and I stress this coz you are pregnant, you should be putting ON weight not losing it, and you and the child both need a good, healthy diet, jello and broth is not enough to build healthy bodies for either of you.Good luck,Kylie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply - the vomiting is part Morning Sickness (which should be over by now) but is usually exacerbated by the pain. When I'm cramping or in the constant pain attack, I can't stop vomiting. I was hospitalized (and I don't "do" hospitals - even for childbirth) for a week to get the vomiting under control and Zofran (Class B drug) was the only thing that minimizes the vomiting. The pain is high and low - high (like the small intestine, but not high enough to be the stomach) and low (just above my public hair - so I'm guessing lower intestine) at the same time. It used to only be high.thanks - I know about my diet, but the pain is actually worse than labor (and I have my kids at home - without drugs). It is indescribeably intense.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can understand as I was hospitalised for a couple of days whilst pregnant with No 2 with a stomach bug, the pain was indescribable (cramping - I found out recently it was the diaphragm doing this) and couldn't stop throwing up. The pain was so bad it felt like my stomach was "in labour"!Certainly the cramping after eating and pains lead you to suspect IBS, but could also be other things. It's hard when your pregnant to have tests done - rather than a GI could you get onto a doc with an obstetrical background to take it from another angle? I hate to think you'll just have to "grin and bear it" for the next six and a bit months, you've enough on your plate being pregnant and with other kids to look after without being debilitated by this thing.See if you can find an antispasmodic drug that can help with the cramps that can be taken during pregnancy, that might help the pains - I've been using Buscopan which is great, but not sure whether safe, and saw an ad for a thing called Mintec which is a natural product of peppermint oil with an enteric coating (don't ask me what that is) specifically targeted at IBSers with cramps. These are Aussie products but I'm sure you could find a similar US product.Other than that I can't think of much more to help you with.Log on and type bump if this post falls behind, coz I think there are others here who should have good input for you.Good luck,Kylie

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I'd be working with your OB-GYN person as well as see if you can get a second opinion with a different GI guy. Losing weight when pregnant is not a good thing and the baby needs nutrition. I had a friend who ended up having to go on a feeding tube during her second pregnancy as she couldn't keep anything down and she lost a heck of a lot less weight than you did. She said it really was not really a big deal and she felt alot better, and the baby did alot better since she was getting the nutrients she and the baby needed.DO NOT MESS AROUND WITH HERBAL MEDICATIONS while pregnant unless you have done very, very, very extensive research on them. A lot of herbal medications can cause harm to the fetus or abort the fetus so you need to be just as careful with them as you are with synthetic medications. see http://www.gardenguides.com/herbs/preg.htm for one list of herbs here is another list of herbs to avoid. One hint is anything that has ever been used for female problems is often a bad sign. Many of these are things woman use when their period is late and they use them to make themselves have a period which will generally end your pregnancy. http://www.alternativeparenting.com/pregla...y_and_herbs.htm Peppermint is one thing that I beleive is safe and is an antispasmodic and that may help with the pain.But Check EVERYTHING with your OB-GYN and definitely talk to them about the weight loss (like today).K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Mama, Not for nothing but K is RIGHT!!!Also I had a friend who had her Gall Bladder "go bad" while she was pregnant. Maybe you could mention this to the second opinion GI. Take care of this, don't let one (forgive me) ignorant Dr. call your shots. Get a second opinion for sure. I only gained 10bls with my 2nd pregnancy, I paid for that dearly, fortunately my daughter didn't. The baby will "take" whatever it needs from you, you are the one that the Dr. should be concerned about! Don't want to scare you, but that GI you saw really could have done a better job, to say the least! See if you can get a referral for a better GI Dr. You will need one thru out your pregnancy.I'm keeping you in my prayers! I only had 1 other child when I went thru this, I can't imagine how you are managing. Call in every marker, all the heavy artillery help you can muster! Ship some of them off for "playdates" elsewhere as much as you need to. ASK for HELP from all of your support systems. Take care of you & vent here whenever you are so moved cause "we're here for ya". (((HUG))) BQ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone - after 3 days of no food (well, of water, clear soup and juice) I'm feeling great. Mild cramping and always tender, but I'll take that anyday.I just get so hungry...I think I've found my "cure" - just stop eating! I don't know why anyone hasn't thought of it yet - it is the PERFECT cure!Last night, I pretty much decided to go for another GI consult - the past 7 weeks have been markedly different from the past 15 years - if it is IBS is it much worse all of a sudden and from what I've read, in pregnancy, most all women have a "remission" of IBS symptoms. Also, I'm never bloated - well, I never feel bloated. And I don't always get relief from cramping with elimination - they just come and go. Obviously I have a lot more to learn but at the least, I'd like a GI (or doc) who will do more than "cluck cluck" at me. I also have an appointment with my OB on Thursday. She's very concerned, but is no GI. She has prescribed Bentyl for the cramping, but I really don't want to take anything (even though it is a Class B drug) - especially since I'm already on Zofran.I had a US of my gallbladder and it looked good, so I don't think that's it. Also, the pain and cramping is directly linked to food. Food goes in and suffering starts 6 to 9 hours later.Thanks so much to everyone and I'm going to get a GI who has pregnant patients and make him/her listen to me and give me more options than, "shuddap and deal with it".

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Not eating is a prescription for death, that's why no one thinks it is a cure. Although there are times when I did wish it was a cure (I nearly had to withdraw from a clincical trial as the only non-drug thing that controlled the symptoms was not eating. Luckily they had found they could track medication usage as a symptom and kept me in. You might want to investigate doing one of the home hypnotherapy things to help with your symptoms. Their drug free and help alot of people. Mike's tapes are the most used here www.ibsaudioprogram.com and a cheaper set that doesn't have as many users here is available at www.ibstherapy.com . I did Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in the clinical trial I mentioned and both it and hypnotherapy seem to have alot of the same types of results. The CBT pretty much has me in remission with small amounts of drugs it is in total remission so I do know that the mind-body approach can work really really well for some people.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html [This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 04-10-2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mamakat, hope you can find a good doc soon. Been thinking of you and wondered could you try some sort of liquid supplement until things are worked out for you? We have a product in Oz called Sustagen Mum, and its a drink filled with all the necessary goodies for mum and bubs for pregnancy and feeding, you can mix with milk or water and drink hot or cold (we use Sustagen sport hot at night as a drink and I mix it with milk for the kids, so I know that they are at least getting some of the right nutrients!!!)Good luck with hugs,Kylie
Forgot to add that I found during my experience with docs when pregnant they seem to think your brain is somehow switched of and basically treat you like a smiling idiot - just because there's a lump in front of you doesn't make you a mindless fool and the symptoms you experience aren't any less real. Pregnancy is not an illness it is a state of being and is aside to what is actually happening to you and your body (sorry, had to vent on that one!!)[This message has been edited by Kylie (edited 04-11-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.