Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed several threads about people being afraid of being called for jury duty.I didn't register to vote for many years because of this. JUST SO YOU KNOW...you can get out of jury duty for medical reasons. When they send a summons for jury duty, you can check the section for medical exception. I just note that I have IBS and anxiety, and I am excused. My doctor will back me up if needed. Now I can be a good citizen and vote.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I just got out of jury duty, although I'mnot sure if it was the IBS or the fact that it was a case that hit too close to home and the lawyers knew I couldn't be totally impartial.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I just had jury duty a few months ago. i kept getting notices, and I continued to blow it off. Finally, they threatened to 'take serious action' for avoiding my duty as an AMerican Citizen. So, I bit the bullet, and I went. I didn't want to feel 'weak' by asking my doc to get out of it. he probably wouldn't have let me because he is almost like my dad in the way that he doesn't want me to avoid situations because of this stupid anxiety. I also felt embarassed that the 'government would know why i couldn't come. I was a little paranoid that they would put 'mental' next to my name in some big compuetr file they have on everyone in the U.S. How paranoid is that??? ANyway, I went, and I sat, and I sat, and I popped a Xanax, and I popped another Xanax, and then I passed out. I think I was snoring, but I never got questioned for any case, i just sat in this huge room in downtown Chicago. It was insane, but I am glad I did it, and I am even more glad that it is over.LALA

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Lala, I can just see you snoozing away at the courthouse (L)! In my county, you need a written note from a dr. to be excused from jury duty for medical reasons. So far, I've always gotten out of it because I have children under 10 to care for, but the youngest is now 9, so I will definitely have to go for the medical excuse. Having me as a juror would not be in anyone's best interests, especially if I had to bolt from the room several times during important testimony. They'd have to put everything on "hold" until I got back, and I can just imagine how annoyed everyone would be.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have never been called and I've been registered for 20 years! I figure it's about time. It scares me to death! The hardest part for me is anxiety and driving downtown, finding the place, parking in the parking garage, finding the floor, etc. I would come close to a panic attack and yet I'd dread having to ask my doctor for an excuse. I would feel like such a wimp! I'm sure I'd just go but I would hate it and yet feel proud when it's over.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hello everyone. This is my first post on this board. I usually post on the other IBS board. I had the WORST jury experience a few years back! I was called to be on the jury - a two or three day trial! On the second day, when the court room was dead quiet, my stomach growled so loud that all the jurors looked at me. I was so embarrassed. I started getting a panic attack. I just couldn't handle another day or two of this! My stomach was a mess. My hands started sweating, my heartrate was up and I almost fainted. I finally told the baliff that I couldn't handle being there. I was called out infront of the judge, the lawyers and the defendent and told them I couldn't handle convicting someone (that wasn't the real reason but I couldn't get myself to say that I had D, gas and a panic attack!). Of course everything I said was being recorded by the court reporter. I finally made me the "alternate" and I was allowed to leave. It was so humiliating. I looked like such a wimp. If I didn't have these problems I would be a great juror!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where I live you don't actually have to have a Dr.'s excuse in hand. You just make a note of your condition on the card, and that is that. I don't think they want jurors having panic attacks, unable to concentrate on the testimony, and disturbing the court proceedings. If you don't register to vote due to fear of being called to jury duty, call your county to find out what their policies are.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
I was sent a notice once, and on the card I filled out I said that I was involved in suing someone and as far as I was concerned everyone is guilty! They never got in touch with me again.
Of course, with my luck I'll get a notice tomorrow after telling you all about it.
------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

·
Registered
361 Posts
JeanG - that is a good one! Those faces that you used are sooooo cute!! I've never seen those before! The ones on Parkview are not as adorable!! Where I live they changed the law a few years ago from registered voters being called to those who have a drivers license! This added millions of more people to the pool.[This message has been edited by kitty2 (edited 01-08-2000).]

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi Kitty:Jeff just upgraded our board, so I'm sure Parkview isn't far behind. When you do a post, look to the left of the text box and you'll see Smilies Legend. Click on that and you'll get the new icons!
Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I did my first jury duty before IBS (28 years ago!) The second time was a different county and they did a 6 month one, but only called you when needed, a couple of days in advance, and I got out of it telling them that I could not get off of work with that short of a notice. Worked every time. I actually LIKED Jury Duty, and would do it again now, ibs or not. ------------------Praying for a cure for this NASTY IBS!

G

·
I've been called for jury duty several times but was excused because at that time I worked for attorneys. The last time I was called about 6 yrs. ago I did get on the jury. I was scared the whole time that I would get D but it did not happen until we had to be put in a separate room to make our decision. Rest room was just outside our door but when I went to go, police officer stopped me and said I couldn't go until a decision was reached. I just pushed past him and told him I had to no matter what. He looked real surprised and didn't try to stop me. But you guys know that when you have to go, you gotta go so I would have taken a chance of him shooting me. The bad part is that my husband has never been called for jury duty and wants to be on one really bad. But who do they call? The IBS one in the family. It didn't bother while in courtroom though probably because it was so busy and I was so intent on listening to testimony.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts