Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering...when do most of you guys feel sick?? ...right after you eat a meal? the day after? or just always? b/c I usually get sick within 15 mins of eating and assume that what I had just eaten is what made me sick..but is it possible that what I had eaten the day before is actually the culprit?

·
Registered
353 Posts
If I am going to have problems, I know it right after the meal (within 15 to 30 minutes). However, every morning is a surprise as to how my BM and, thus, my day will be. In your case, I would say it is probably the food that you have just eaten if it is a pretty reliable 15 min. wait until you are sick. However, you could have also be sick from the day before in addition.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi! By "sick" do you mean D, urgency, cramping???If so, it may not be the types of food you are eating (if it happens 15 minutes after EVERY meal). Just the act of eating stimulates your bowels to get ready for the food that is on its way. People with IBS tend to have sensitive bowels (understatement of the year perhaps?) so when food is being swallowed, it can send your bowels crazy and wanting to get rid of anything in your bowels to make room for more. This could explain feelings of urgency and cramping soon after eating. It wouldn't normally be the types of food that you are eating, because 15 minutes isn't nearly enough time for the food to reach your bowels, no matter how hyperactive your bowels are! I have heard that it is about 24 hours for food to pass through your digestive tract (give or take depending on individual)Hope this all makes sense.Polly

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks everyone for the info. and help...I think more than anything it's me stressing out about eating and then getting sick that is actually getting me sick. I know I'm IBS-D...and I'm actually quite scared to use immodium...I'm always afraid of making things worse...so I don't experiment much with medications..but I was wondering about immodium...if I were to take it on a highly stressful day like before a final exam...would this mean no D? or does immodium work like pepto bismol and wipe out all of the D right away and then you are okay?..I'm sorry if I am confusing..I hope I make some sense.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.