Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have directions on the pack to take one tablet (15mg) twice a day, but what I'm reading online is to take is as and when required. Can anyone share their experiences with this?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you are taking it for diarrhea and you have diarrhea all the time you probably would be better off taking it regularly. Often for diarrhea uses and IBS if you take it after the diarrhea starts sometimes it is over before the medication does you any good.The prescribed pattern is the best way to take Imodium for chronic IBS diarrhea and they work by similar mechanisms to prevent diarrhea.If you use it for occasional acute diarrhea you take either of them as needed, but those directions do not apply when it is chronic daily diarrhea with IBS.K.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking I'll stick with my daily Imodium, but if I'm gonna be out a long time I'll take a couple of CP before I leave. Sound right?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It depends on what works for you. Sometimes one will work a lot better than the other. I thought you said the Imodium wasn't working very well which is why you asked for something else?A lot depends on which thing gives you more control and how much control you need at any given time (and how badly taking a bunch at once constipates you, or makes you drowsy because I think codiene is more likely to make you drowsy if you take a bunch then Imodium is)I would experiment a bit at home before going out, but I'd also probably take it the way my doctor recommended first before playing around with my own attempt at guess work about dosing.K.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know, I'm really dubious about just taking it every day when it seems so easy to get addicted to it. I told him that Imodium works to an extent but I can't really rely on it and he said this is a bit stronger.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I use codeine phosphate if I think I'm about to get d when I'm out. It's a narcotic as well, so it calms me down. The first time, I bought it in Italy and took 60mg by accident, the only side effect was a very happy buzzing feeling, and c for a couple of days. Now I have 30mg tablets that I take as and when I need them. Have you asked your doctor about Diphenoxylate? It's a strong anti-D. It works every time for me, though I try not to use it too often as it causes c. But it's invaluable when Immodium doesn't work.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He told me to go back in a month, so I'll try to go back armed with some information and such then. Today was the first time I'd seen him about this (my usual doctor was terrible with it) and he seemed very willing to listen and help. So you use it. How long have you used it for and how often? How reliable do you find it?

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've been using codeine on and off for 4 years, usually 3 or 4 times a month, when I've got an important event or the immodium fails. I try to keep it as a back-up, partly becasue of addiction risk and partly because my doctor won't prescribe more than 10 tablets a time (I guess to discourage me from getting dependent on it). It's always worked for me, though sometimes it takes about 40 mins to kick in.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Good for you that you found drs. that are willing to give you something for the extra hard days that you still have to function. And good for you that old Kathleen didn't give you the addiction lecture.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
quote:Originally posted by Sukie:I've been using codeine on and off for 4 years, usually 3 or 4 times a month, when I've got an important event or the immodium fails. I try to keep it as a back-up, partly becasue of addiction risk and partly because my doctor won't prescribe more than 10 tablets a time (I guess to discourage me from getting dependent on it). It's always worked for me, though sometimes it takes about 40 mins to kick in.
I've got 28 o/What strength do you have?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I do feel different when it is a doctor giving it because they think it is best rather than people buying it on the street or begging for it when I don't know they tried everything else. Or when people make statements that sound like every doctor should always prescribe it because there couldn't be a reason for them to withhold it. They just like to torture IBSers, that sort of thing.But like always, everything I do is wrong, I guess
Because of course my advice is just like those doctors I'm only here to hurt as many people as a possibly can, or some such.Sorry if I did anything that makes you be so nasty to me. I really do try to help, but no one ever seems to see that.Some days I don't know why I bother.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kathleen has tried to help me a lot, despite my best efforts to throw it back in her face, so any advice she gives is alright by me.I have the same concerns as you do about it, but I don't think I have much of a choice. I have to find something that can help me get through my busier days. The reading I've done seems to be telling me 'Yes, Codeine is effective", but also telling me that my doctor probably hasn't given that much thought to how I should be taking it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I repeatly told you what a dilemma I've had OVER 20 YEARS. I;ve tried everything under the sun. Antidepressants, antispasmotics, fiber, no fiber, eating a certain diet, NOT EATING A CERTAIN DIET, and when a 50 year old mother of 3 says( with a severely ill husband too) she needs a couple pain pills to survive her life now and again ( say 20 for 3 months) I've gotten repeatedly reprimanded for the addiction aspect. I AM NOT LIVING HERE, I'M EXSISTING, and if a back pain patient can get pain pills to funtion i feel that IBS-D people should too and not treated like they have brought it on themselves or treated like they just want them for the high.

·
Registered
617 Posts
whatever, I feel just because you have a degree in one thing by no means does it make you an EXPERT on IBS-D . YOUr a patient telling your story like everyone else here

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, let's put personal attacks aside and just help me get my life back.It's great to know that there are others that use it, but I'd really like to know about dosage, when I should take it etc

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Twocups.I gave some general reasons why I warn about this medication. not what I thought your personal story was. *sigh* I was not attacking you personally.Your story is not the only way the codiene thing plays out here. Fine. I will stay off all codiene threads from now on and let you be the only voice that is heard about this medication. Will that make you happy? No one will ever hear there is a downside about it from me again. I don't like doing that, but since we cannot ever get along I think maybe this is the only solution for the good of the board. It isn't fair hijacking threads with our personal problems. You will never get that I have heard your story, you never hear that I am glad it works for you. I can't say that this is one route that should be approached with caution so I want people to be careful and there are real reasons doctor don't just hand this out for IBS all the time without you thinking that I'm trying to make you into a bad person for taking it, or that you shouldn't take it or whatever it is you think I am saying to you when I speak in the general case.I will leave this topic totally alone just to keep from upsetting you and avoid any more threadjacks.Masterplan, if you use the search function you might find some of the othe threads where people discuss dosages if they don't happen to reply here. Click the find tab and type in Codeine.K.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I've found loads of threads but very little specific information about dosage. There's been the odd bit of helpful stuff here and there.

·
Registered
617 Posts
again Kathleen, you are not an expert or dr on the subject, just another PATIENT EXTENDING THEIR STORY. WHY WOULD PEOPLE BE ASKING YOU FOR DOSAGE ????? wHAT ON EARTH QUALIFIES YOU FOR THAT?

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've just looked up the dosage in The Complete Home Guide to Medication, Dr.Warwick Carter MB.BS.FRACGP.and it says under Dosage: 5mg. to 60mg. every 4 to 6 hours. It also says May cause dependency or addiction if used unessarily for long periods. The mildest of the narcotic drugs. Very effective and except for slight risk of dependency, very safe. Widely used in many cough and cold mixtures, pain relievers and preparations for diarrhoea. My tablets are 30mg. Personally, I think if a drug can significantly improve your life/allow you to function normally it is worth side-effects/slight risk of addiction. If my IBS-d was preventing me from going out, I would take codeine regularly -if I could get the doctor to prescribe it here! At my GP practice they are v.reluctant to prescribe anything other than the few drugs recommended in their book.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts