Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here�s a question that I am just curious about:Is anyone else frightened by �D�? As soon as I get an attack I have a mini-panic attack. This tends to feed my �D� and make it worse. I think because I was raised in an environment where if you had �D� you were sick I still associate �D� with that. Although I take it one step further. �Oh I must have cancer�; or �I must have some horrible unknown disease.� Very irrational thoughts. When, in reality, if I could just ignore it would probably last no longer than the first time.Just curious if others have the same issues.

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
I think it is fairly normal for IBS symptoms to set off various not-so-adaptive though patterns in the mind. Some of these can then set off more symptoms and you can get a pretty bad vicious cycle going pretty quickly, even when the symptoms are not causing panic attacks.You may want to use the "Hop to" bar at the bottom of the page and check out the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (often used precisely for working with the not-so-adaptive thought patterns) Anxiety and Hypnotherapy part of the board. These mind-body treatments have a good sucess rate at treating IBS because the neural net that controlls the gut interacts with the brain and the interaction can be altered in ways that benefit the patient.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
I think it is fairly normal for IBS symptoms to set off various not-so-adaptive though patterns in the mind. Some of these can then set off more symptoms and you can get a pretty bad vicious cycle going pretty quickly, even when the symptoms are not causing panic attacks.You may want to use the "Hop to" bar at the bottom of the page and check out the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (often used precisely for working with the not-so-adaptive thought patterns) Anxiety and Hypnotherapy part of the board. These mind-body treatments have a good sucess rate at treating IBS because the neural net that controlls the gut interacts with the brain and the interaction can be altered in ways that benefit the patient.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
544 Posts
yes. i havent had a panic attack since last summer, i think. i was at a picnic/party with friends and felt the growing, twisting pains in my gut. it really felt like it was going to end up in D - usually at least 3 trips to the toilet. we were outside, it was hot out, i was in pain, i was in a social situation, and the bathrooms were busy and dirty. combinations like that bring on the panic, fear, and anxiety. i have to try really hard not to let it get to me cuz i know it makes my D worse. it turned out to be okay - the cramps passed, i had no D, and i dont recall having much gas either. my guts just had to put a monkey wrench in my good time that day. but i know what you mean about the panic. i havent been in a situation like that recently. thankfully i dont get D so much anymore, and if i get cramps its usually just gas. take care -jj

·
Registered
544 Posts
yes. i havent had a panic attack since last summer, i think. i was at a picnic/party with friends and felt the growing, twisting pains in my gut. it really felt like it was going to end up in D - usually at least 3 trips to the toilet. we were outside, it was hot out, i was in pain, i was in a social situation, and the bathrooms were busy and dirty. combinations like that bring on the panic, fear, and anxiety. i have to try really hard not to let it get to me cuz i know it makes my D worse. it turned out to be okay - the cramps passed, i had no D, and i dont recall having much gas either. my guts just had to put a monkey wrench in my good time that day. but i know what you mean about the panic. i havent been in a situation like that recently. thankfully i dont get D so much anymore, and if i get cramps its usually just gas. take care -jj

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I make a conscious effort to turn off the 'worry' part of my brain when the D strikes. It's just to counter productive and tiring worrying and wondering what is going to happen. Experience has taught be that the D is never a serious problem. Just an indicator of what's going on (side effects of medications, stress, food). When it strikes in public I just make for the toilets and stay there til it's calmed down. Having a small bottle of water and a packet of imodium in my shoulder bag is very helpful.------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I make a conscious effort to turn off the 'worry' part of my brain when the D strikes. It's just to counter productive and tiring worrying and wondering what is going to happen. Experience has taught be that the D is never a serious problem. Just an indicator of what's going on (side effects of medications, stress, food). When it strikes in public I just make for the toilets and stay there til it's calmed down. Having a small bottle of water and a packet of imodium in my shoulder bag is very helpful.------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
The worryy part of the brain is activated in IBS.These are really worth reading to help in understanding alot on IBS.The wisdom of the gut: Those butterflies in you stomach are not just in your mind. http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/000403/gut.htm IBSThe bottom of the page on DR Bolen's site explains this well. http://www.irritablebowel.net/WhatisIBS.htm Some more on thisCentral fear circuits less activated in IBS patients http://www.gastro.org/reuters/2000/May/22/...522clin003.html and even morePain and the brain in IBS http://www.med.ucla.edu/ndp/Fall97Brain.htm ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
The worryy part of the brain is activated in IBS.These are really worth reading to help in understanding alot on IBS.The wisdom of the gut: Those butterflies in you stomach are not just in your mind. http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/000403/gut.htm IBSThe bottom of the page on DR Bolen's site explains this well. http://www.irritablebowel.net/WhatisIBS.htm Some more on thisCentral fear circuits less activated in IBS patients http://www.gastro.org/reuters/2000/May/22/...522clin003.html and even morePain and the brain in IBS http://www.med.ucla.edu/ndp/Fall97Brain.htm ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

G

·
I don't worry about whether the D indicates a serious illness - I can accept that it is 'just' anxiety.If I'm at home then I tend to just get on with whatever I'm doing between D attacks and not think about it too much but if I'm out in public then I'm scared sh*tless (if only) by any indication that I might be about to have a D attack and start to obsess about it. I've had regular D (at least once a week) for about the last two years and ironically, although it was originally caused by anxiety, now I'm more anxious about my D than I am about my anxiety, if that makes sense.

G

·
I don't worry about whether the D indicates a serious illness - I can accept that it is 'just' anxiety.If I'm at home then I tend to just get on with whatever I'm doing between D attacks and not think about it too much but if I'm out in public then I'm scared sh*tless (if only) by any indication that I might be about to have a D attack and start to obsess about it. I've had regular D (at least once a week) for about the last two years and ironically, although it was originally caused by anxiety, now I'm more anxious about my D than I am about my anxiety, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I get mini-panic attacks as you say. Even if I am not having D, the anxiety makes me get it. For example, traffic jams make me feel trapped (no bathroom, nowhere to run or leave the car); I try to avoid elevators and stuff like that. I guess it has to do with the fact that when I first was diagnosed with IBS I would always get D as I was walking to school, in the middle of the park! So that horrible gut feeling reminds me it's time to run... again.
But I never worry about this being cancer or something else. What I really worry is that it affects my self esteem because I cannot control it (of course I know it is not my fault, but still makes me feel bad). I am considering going into therapy for this.If it makes you feel a little better, you are not alone.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I get mini-panic attacks as you say. Even if I am not having D, the anxiety makes me get it. For example, traffic jams make me feel trapped (no bathroom, nowhere to run or leave the car); I try to avoid elevators and stuff like that. I guess it has to do with the fact that when I first was diagnosed with IBS I would always get D as I was walking to school, in the middle of the park! So that horrible gut feeling reminds me it's time to run... again.
But I never worry about this being cancer or something else. What I really worry is that it affects my self esteem because I cannot control it (of course I know it is not my fault, but still makes me feel bad). I am considering going into therapy for this.If it makes you feel a little better, you are not alone.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I definitely have a response cycle that includes anxiety, but it goes more like this. After weeks on end of diarrhea (I go 10 or more times a day, all of it runny, often explosive D), I get dehydrated and run down, which leads to little periods of dizziness. I get dizzy, I tense up to catch myself, sort of like I'm falling, which is an anxious, panicky feeling.The D symptoms immediately grow worse.I'm not anxious about having D in public. I have spent way too many years this way to think of it as weird or scary. I confess if I'm having a bad time I do decline parties where I know I won't have the bathroom access I want and need. That isn't fear really. Instead, it's the least I can do for myself -- that is how I think of it.Love,Lydia

·
Registered
268 Posts
I definitely have a response cycle that includes anxiety, but it goes more like this. After weeks on end of diarrhea (I go 10 or more times a day, all of it runny, often explosive D), I get dehydrated and run down, which leads to little periods of dizziness. I get dizzy, I tense up to catch myself, sort of like I'm falling, which is an anxious, panicky feeling.The D symptoms immediately grow worse.I'm not anxious about having D in public. I have spent way too many years this way to think of it as weird or scary. I confess if I'm having a bad time I do decline parties where I know I won't have the bathroom access I want and need. That isn't fear really. Instead, it's the least I can do for myself -- that is how I think of it.Love,Lydia

·
Registered
23,788 Posts

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
G

·
I have panic/anxiety disorder and when I feel a D attack coming on, I definitely go into panic mode, especially if I'm in public or just outside of my safe house.I had a real bad attack on a vacation in Scotland and I almost fainted. I thought i was dying. The pain, the dizziness, it was awful, I woke up in the middle of the night and ran to the toilet and had to wake my husband because I was so scared. Now I have the panic really bad when a D attack hits. It's an association thing for me. I've had both the panic disorder and the IBS for 13 years.did I mention that I'm new to this forum? sorry if I didn't. I'm a 32 year old female, living in Ontario Canada, who has tried antidepressants, Dicetel, therapy and dairy/meat free and high fibre diets. Nothing helps. I had a period about 5 years ago that was no less than miraculous but it didn't last long and both the panic and IBS returned with a vengeance and haven't abated since.I look forward to getting to know all of you better/

G

·
I have panic/anxiety disorder and when I feel a D attack coming on, I definitely go into panic mode, especially if I'm in public or just outside of my safe house.I had a real bad attack on a vacation in Scotland and I almost fainted. I thought i was dying. The pain, the dizziness, it was awful, I woke up in the middle of the night and ran to the toilet and had to wake my husband because I was so scared. Now I have the panic really bad when a D attack hits. It's an association thing for me. I've had both the panic disorder and the IBS for 13 years.did I mention that I'm new to this forum? sorry if I didn't. I'm a 32 year old female, living in Ontario Canada, who has tried antidepressants, Dicetel, therapy and dairy/meat free and high fibre diets. Nothing helps. I had a period about 5 years ago that was no less than miraculous but it didn't last long and both the panic and IBS returned with a vengeance and haven't abated since.I look forward to getting to know all of you better/

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.