Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've suffered from IBS-D for about 1 year now and have found this board a life saver.During this time I've found that stress as well as milk products and coffee are my triggers.What is really strange is that, for the first time, I also find myself suffering from a very painful attack of Shingles....something I'd only heard of before. In reading material on this, I find, that aside from all of us who had chicken pox as children, carry this virus in our bodies, an attack can be brought on later in life through a compromise of the immune system, including stress. I find it odd that these two conditions woould hit me within such a short period of time.Have any of my fellow IBS suffers also found themselves dealing with Shingles at one time in their lives? Just curious. Also do you know of a support board for it? I haven't found one yet.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have not found a BB for shingles. I had shingles when I was very young without any complications. I hope I never get shingles again. I have seen first hand what this virus can do. I hope you were diagnosed early and have been prescribed meds (Zovirax or Famvir) which I understand are very effective in treating the virus. Did the doctors tell you that the blisters contain the chicken pox virus which is contagious. Therefore avoid contact with newborns, pregnant women, people who have not had chicken pox and individuals with compromised immune systems.I have never heard of a relationship between IBS and shingles but I am not a doctor. The attached link is some information from the Mayo Clinic wrt shingles.rememberhttp://www.mayoclinic.com/findinformation/conditioncenters/invoke.cfm?objectid=21900E85-BC1E-4185-B2C7032E0B7C7796I hope you recover without any complications.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have not found a BB for shingles. I had shingles when I was very young without any complications. I hope I never get shingles again. I have seen first hand what this virus can do. I hope you were diagnosed early and have been prescribed meds (Zovirax or Famvir) which I understand are very effective in treating the virus. Did the doctors tell you that the blisters contain the chicken pox virus which is contagious. Therefore avoid contact with newborns, pregnant women, people who have not had chicken pox and individuals with compromised immune systems.I have never heard of a relationship between IBS and shingles but I am not a doctor. The attached link is some information from the Mayo Clinic wrt shingles.rememberhttp://www.mayoclinic.com/findinformation/conditioncenters/invoke.cfm?objectid=21900E85-BC1E-4185-B2C7032E0B7C7796I hope you recover without any complications.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.