Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was just recently diagnosed with pain-predominant IBS after over three years of suffering and tests.. want to see if you all think this is the right diagnosis or if it sounds more like FD to you? I have pain in my mid to upper stomach, between my bellybutton and up to just below my ribs. When it's not bad, it feels like I'm very hungry. When it's bad, it feels like I'm being stabbed in the stomach!
The only thing that helps is laying down on my stomach and taking deep breaths. The pain usually lasts between a week and a month and then it goes away, sometimes for a few weeks and sometime for a few months. Some foods seem to make it worse but I'm not sure if that's just in my head. It wakes me up at night and some nights I get no sleep at all.. this has been going on for three years, it started shortly after a car accident. It's really ruining my life, what do you think it is and what can I do?* I have had several blood tests, body xray, ultrasounds, ct scan, upper gi and bowel follow up, and gastroscope - all normal. I think the doctor thinks it's all in my head!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Do you have no other IBS symptoms at all? I have IBS-P (no C or D at all) but it is obviously IBS and not something else because of the location and movement of the pain (from the mid upper abdomen to the left upper quadrant and then sometimes further down) and other symptoms such as burping and gurgling. If you have no other symptoms that link it with IBS, then I would question the diagnosis. It still might be IBS but it appears that most sufferers have symptoms other than just pain.Most doctors think that it's in our heads, or at least the brain/gut interaction. However, they should be pretty used to seeing it by now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Me too, me too! I've been sick for four years, 5 different diagnoses, and am recovering from a terrible series of episodes. I was so confused and scared, I was sure it couldn't be IBS, bc I have a little D and C but it doesn't bother me. I just have terrible pain. It starts with stitches under my ribs, then my stomach gets hard, like I swallowed a rock, and then terrible, gut-bending cramps start. I just spent 3 months basically lying down, sleeping 18 hrs a day when the pain was terrible. It would wake me up at night, long slow cramps building in waves, clutching the sheets.If you haven't got this resolved, you at least need a new doctor. My team of docs at The Center for GI Disorders at BU Medical, say these are classic IBS.It's so unfair, I hate telling people. They think I'm such a baby, like I have occasional tummyaches. I'm starting to call it my Vagal Nerve Disorder, heh. Sounds WAY more serious. Which it is.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is there an IBS-P forum here? Where are my people?
Originally pain-predominant as well, chronically disrupted bowel frequency and form in contrast to my very consistent pre-IBS patterns, but never clearly D, C. or A as most people here tend to describe them. Excruciating pain and many other unpleasant symptoms basically 24/7 for a year or so after onset. Now more often discomfort than pain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.