Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I was just diagnosed with IBS (Diarreah) today. I am 32 years old. I had a fun colonoscopy today to rule out anything else and was told, you have IBS. Other than that, the doctor said take Metamucil every evening. There has to be more getting this under control. Can anyone point me to links, tips, etc.? Thank you! I want to get this under control, I am tired of living on Immodium and Gas X just so I can leave the house! Thank you!

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
\Welcome.Anything you can put your finger on as a first cause? That may help in putting together suggestions.Check out Linda's Calcium thread on this Board for an ongoing maintenance approach.Cheers,Mark

·
Registered
197 Posts
sadly the major downside of IBS compared to most problems is that there is not 1 solution to fit all.my best advice for you is to keep positive, keep and eye on the things you want to accomplish no matter what heppens in the future and to make sure you have a doctor who is willing to try anyting to help ruduce you symtoms,what you will find on this forum is a mix between people who have fouhnd a way to manage their IBS as much as possible at the moment and people who are still struggling to find any element of control.read as much as you can and try everything and anything that looks like it could help and you may just find your answer,I personally have found help in the form of amatriptaline (1 tab 4 times a day) and ibsicol (4 tabs four times a day) its not a complete cure but its a good management aid, then add in some motilium, valium. anti soasmotics of vaious types, loprimide and a controlled diet. but as you read other peoples stories and recomendations and between you and your doc have a little trial and error you might find something right for you which provides more releif with less hassle.good luck and keep posting on all your experiences you never know what might help someone else or where you might get help for yourself

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you. No idea what started it. Just started last July out of nowhere. Just before they discovered gallstones and then they removed my gallbladder. I had dismissed it then as side effects of that but it continued on. The doctor that diagnosed me only said, add Metimucal to your diet and call me in 3 weeks. Helpful. I will do that and then schedule a follow-up. I have been going through a lot of stress on/off. I do notice when you are less stressed - less problems which I have read about. I have started to eat healther, I got a list of fiber foods, and am going to start exercising. I do know that if I have to be somewhere - I'm a college student - I can at least take an Immdoium to get me through classes. Problem is, I hate planning anything because of this problem. I did book a vacation to see my brother this Spring and I really hope I can have it under some better control by then. I guess we'll see over time.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Pm you also may want to aks your Dr about trying Questran (powder) or Colestid (tablet); they are prescription bile salt binders. The Gall Bladder's function is to regulate bile to aid digestion. Without it most bodies adjust the amount of bile in a short time. But there are some folks' bodies who don't make that adjustment and too much bile gets dumped which causes diarrhea. The Questran or Colestid bind that excess bile up and therefore can prevent any diarrhea from too much bile.Ask you Dr about it.All the best

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will talk to my doctor about those meds when I call to see if she thinks Caltrate is okay for me to take. Thanks! I noticed I'm not the only one who experianced IBS-D after having gallbladder problems/surgery. Perhaps this needs to be studied.Not sure about the other post, maybe the poster could elaborate?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
hi,welcome,i just had a flashback,reading your stuff.exactly what happened to me 32 years ago.exactly.diarrhea out of nowhere one day.couple weeks later passed 2 gallstones,emergency surgery removed gallbladder.i always thought the gallbladder was the culprit in all this the more i read, i believe it.i told the dr.s back then they told me i was wrong.they should investigate the gallbladder,before and after surgery.personally i think thats where the problem is.im no dr. but im a sufferer,i personally no more than they do.in my case its not food.they say it is.the pill i take says it isnt food.so their wrong on that in my case.i eat anything.digest it perfectly.i feel like a new person.read my stuff on here,theres more info...good luck peggy

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I don't suffer from gall bladder problems at all and had a recent scan on kidneys and bladder and surrounding areas which indicated no problems.My point is just an observation based on being a member of the forum over the past few months and it's the relation between posters having gall bladder problems and IBS.It's amazing that no or too few doctors have picked up on this relationship based on peoples direct personal experiences of gall bladder and IBS problems.Surely something is being missed here?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Surely something is being missed here?
No not really. There is a certain percentage of people in the general population that the Dr.'s know will have Diarrhea post op after a Gall Bladder removal. And of course with IBS population being so widepsread, those 2 ('normal' & IBS'ers) populations will overlap. Some IBS'ers may be *more* sensitve to excess bile in their systems. But fortunately there is at least a med for this D. Colestid or Questran can be used to sop up the excess bile.

·
Registered
132 Posts
PM I take questrain. It des wonders fr me I had been usig Wechol which is almost ike it but it tablet form, but the questrain is so much bette. i went bck to questrain.I hae tried almost everythig there is.I have IBS DHave hd it fr yearsI have taken bentyl, donatol, all kinds of fiber, and justame it and i have tried it but my gstrlogist told e lat tie i had my clonstomp to take questrain twice a day and it really does wrkGood luk.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Yes, and while apple cider vinegar is yummy IN food, I don't think I'd be inclined to drink it, do you?
I think a number of people have had good effects with it for reflux. There is some info on that here: http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.co...cid-reflux.htmlBraggs ACV is often mentioned as the one to try.As far as D, I have never read or heard anyone suggest it for that; but most people here are looking for a pharma approach, so maybe no one has tried it for D. (I would expect bhop's reversal to have come from the D3, as that has been observed by some others.)Mark

·
Registered
311 Posts
i would suggest u spend alot of time on this site reading every post & question....take notes.........then do other research on ur particular symptoms & get some med searches..........this will give u info...knowledge is power.........

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.