Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few months I've been suffering from severe pain in my left side and have been really unwell. I'm only 20 years old and my doctor has told me that after ruling out many other conditions IBS-D is the most likely cause. As a result of all this I have given up uni and am back staying with my parents because I was feeling so awful. Even now I don't like going out after eating as I never know when I might need to go to the bathroom. I'm hoping that someone can give me some advice on things to try that might help make me feel better. The doctor said at the moment just to monitor my diet :S

·
Registered
253 Posts
Know that you are by far not alone. . . The only way to most surely say it is IBS-D is if you have had a complete GI work-up. This would include an upper and lower GI, biopsies, blood work such as sed rate, CBC, liver and kidney function, pancreatic and gallbladder function, sprue, H-pylori, plus stool cultures for infections or parasites. If you have not had ALL these tests, then you need a different doctor or you need to be a bigger pest to get the tests done. Dietary modifications can include elimination diets. This is where you remove all spicy and greasy or fast food and see what happens. Then remove all dairy (butter/milk), casine, whey, cassinate, yogurt and cheese and see if you get better. One in four people on the planet has a problem breaking down dairy. Third, you can try various grain eliminations such as gluten/wheat (not necessarily because you have sprue but some people are sensitive). Fourth, cut out all genetically modified corn and soy - eat only organic. Other than that, you should certainly stay away from alcohol, coffee and caffine as that will speed up the bowel. Always allow about two weeks min to see if the changes worked and DO NOT cheat. Some things that can relieve diarrhea and this is just a short list and it can be any one or several that work (Most take time - up to three weeks to see some benefit besides imodium). Also, adding and switching too many things at once can often result in not really knowing what helped you and what caused more problems:Imodium - take the max dose prior to going out - this seems to work regardless of what problem you have unless it is infectious or inflammatoryFloragen - a good proboticKilfur - another probotic but it is dairyBubbies Sauerkraut - another live probotic at Whole FoodsHaung Lian Su - an antibiotic type chinese herb available on AmazonVarious IBS formulationsZincLysineGlutamine PowderGas-XCalcium carbonate plus D vitamins - great to form stoolsD supplementspeppermint caps - freeze and take with meals grapefruit seed extract drops as a natural antibiotic to kill bad bacteriaHCi tabs - extra stomach acid to kill bacteria in the small bowel to be taken with food but NOT if you have an ulcerRx antidepressants to control gut motility - many products work quite wellRx medication to slow down the gutCodeine Rx to create constipationAntibiotics such as Tetracycline, Cipro, or Xifaxan if you know you have bacterial overgrowth of the small bowel or too much bad bacteriaDigestive enzymesRx Cholestryramine - a powder that is used if you have too much bile or Habba SyndromeBiofeedback and relaxation techniques or drugsAntiacids/PPi's if your problem is actually an ulcer, gastritis or too much stomach acid Check out the section on Prescription Medications to learn more. Organic clean diets and/or strict dietary modifications - some people have done very well with raw food diet. I have done better on all organic food, adding organic flax seed freshly ground, taking the calcium and vitamin D tabs, antibiotics when I'm really bad (but I have small bowel bacterial overgrowth/SIBO), imodiium for meetings and flights, avoiding coffee, alcohol, dairy, sugar and limiting processed grains. Basically, I eat nothing but organic fruits and veges, a few whole grains such as oats/oat bread, flax and organic grass-fed meat. Biofeedback has worked well for some people to learn how to control emotional triggers and stress. You can use the search feature on this site for a wealth of information as well as wait for one of our moderators to offer their expert opinion. Do not use this site and its information to replace a doctor. Use it to work with your doctor so you can back to a functional level of health.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.