Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just discovered I have IBS D and have had it since I was 7 years old. I was constantly fobbed off by doctors and pushed in the other direction until finally someone diagnosed me with it after many tests.I must say it is relief to know what is wrong with me but I am quite concerned and scared as there is No known cure.Can someone please give me some advise as to how I go about controlling it and getting my life back on track.Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would suggest you begin by reading everything you can on IBS. Knowledge is power. You might start with "IBS-The First Year" by Heather Van Vorous. There is no cure but there are a lot of different ways to deal with it. You would also benifit by reading all the posts on this web site that might relate to your symtoms. There are things here that may help that many doctors may not be aware of. You should also ask you doctor for advice on how to cope. There are several different medications available. Hang in there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
whats ibs D and ibs c? is it an american thing? imsure we dont have these catergoies in england.......im aware that i just have ibs...no other title :/ please explain someone!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Welcome Craig
I agree with Nick. Educating myself was key in learning to manage my symptoms. Keep in mind also that IBS is different in all of us and therefore treatments that may work for one person, may not work for others. Have you used Lopermide (sp?) Or Immodium?Also many have had great success in controlling D by using Calcium supplements.Here is a link on our "OTC" Forum (which you could find with ALL of our other Forums by the "Hop To:" navigator at the bottom of the page here.)Calcium Link: http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/u...c;f=42;t=000001 Also Here is a link to a very good and informational Gastro site. It is a good place to start. Just click on it, then click on "Diseases" then click on "IBS". Be sure to also click on the "Related Diets" link at the bottom of the IBS page. http://www.gicare.com Visit all of our forums and read, read, read and then post any questions you may have. This has been a very supportive and understanding group to me and to many others. There is ALWAYS hope for management of symptoms. So don't give up.
To kat*: IBS D refers to folks who have predominantly diarrhea.IBS C refers to those that mainly suffer constipation.Course there many folks who alternate between the two, fluxuating from diarrhea to constipation and vise/versa. P refers to Pain predominantG refers to gasHope this helps.BQ

·
Banned
115 Posts
Craig:I would definitely recommend reading Heather Van Vorous' books. She has another called "Eating for IBS" and I follow her guidelines religiously when I'm suffering and they really help.You may want to try taking a calcium carbonate supplement, as many other people suffering from D predominant IBS have had great success with it. Myself included. It doesn't take away all of the symptoms (pain, gas, etc.) but it does help you form a more solid stool, so you have less risk of crapping your pants. It also reduced the number of times I go the restroom considerably. Here's a thread that talks more about this. http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...c;f=42;t=000001

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'd try the Calcium first, also. My next step would be having the doctor prescribe Lotronex or Zofran. Don't suffer for years without help like I did. Most of the other prescriptions you can get from the doctor will do little or nothing. The OTC products generally just rob you of your money & leave you physically the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Guys and Girls,Thankyou so much for all of your responses it is amazing how many people suffer from this around the world. It is good to know I am not alone on this.I have tried immodium which works wonders and I am also drinking Aloe Vera Juice which is amazing stuff.Has anyone else ever tried Aloe Vera Juice at all?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts