Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,I have recently finished university and managed to get the degree I wanted (with a great deal of struggles)...I am nnow looking at doing things to start my career as a clinical psychologist but as a lot of the experience I need requires social situations (I have social anxiety due to the IBS) I am really scared to go through with them. I could ake my life easier by getting an easy job that makes me feel comfortable but I no id feel like I was leeting myse;f down and doing something that I dont want to do.Is there anyone who has IBS who has a professional career and manages? or perhaps a student/ex-student who's in my position...id like to know ur thoughts on this or how ur managing to cope.It really gets me down, i feel like im fighting a losing battle the whole time. Any help/advice would be appreciated. :)x

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi everyone,I have recently finished university and managed to get the degree I wanted (with a great deal of struggles)...I am nnow looking at doing things to start my career as a clinical psychologist but as a lot of the experience I need requires social situations (I have social anxiety due to the IBS) I am really scared to go through with them. I could ake my life easier by getting an easy job that makes me feel comfortable but I no id feel like I was leeting myse;f down and doing something that I dont want to do.Is there anyone who has IBS who has a professional career and manages? or perhaps a student/ex-student who's in my position...id like to know ur thoughts on this or how ur managing to cope.It really gets me down, i feel like im fighting a losing battle the whole time. Any help/advice would be appreciated. :)x
I am trying to manage a career with IBS. I've done a couple of things wrong so I can at least give you some advice so you avoid those mistakes. Here are some suggestions:
  1. Before starting your new job, try to get your IBS under control as much as possible. Create list of IBS symptions/bad scenarios and solutions (i.e diarrhea - Immodium, gas - GasX or tea). Keep a medicine baggie with you and test/tweak the solutions over a month. This means that even if you have bad IBS symptoms on the job, you will have a way to control them quickly. See a gastroenterologist and nutritionist. Ask them how to best manage your IBS and see what they think of your solutions.
  2. Take baby steps toward being social. A psychologist can help with this. Start off with having a get together with a friend who knows you have IBS. Have the next get together in a public place. Then, add someone you don't know to the mix. You can only overcome your social anxiety by experiencing more social situations.
  3. Work hard on your IBS. How well you manage your IBS is directly proportional the work you put in. You will need to diligently eat right, drink lots of water, exercise, and sleep well (8 hrs) ALL THE TIME. Use computer programs like FitDay (PC), DietController (Mac), or iPhone/iPod apps to record your diet and moods daily. Make the exercise fun otherwise you won't do it. Join a work or after-work league and play basketball, baseball, volleyball, swim, cycle or even dance. This will keep you fit and help you be more social. Personally, abdominal exercises allow me to get out stool and trapped gas easier than I could before.
  4. Control negative thoughts. If you think, you'll fail at your new job because of IBS -- then you will fail. DO NOT use IBS as an excuse to not do a great job. Think that you will do well at your new job despite the IBS. Think that you will succeed. You're the one in control of your life -- not the IBS. Remember that you have what it takes. Your university doesn't just hand out degrees; you earned it and your employer will hire you based on that. Try to see IBS in a positive light (hard right?) As a psychologist, you will undoubtedly have some IBS/social anxiety patients. If you've successfully managed you own problems, then you can help then better than other psychologist. Just think positive. Plus, due to your IBS diet, you will live a longer and healthier life than most people.
  5. Stay on top of your work. Stress is a big IBS trigger. Staying on top of your work can reduce this. Many days you'll have the urge to just leave right at "quitting time" because of IBS symptoms when you know you should've stayed a bit longer to just catch up on some work. DON'T do this! Use your IBS med kit/solutions and hang in there. Use your judgement on whether you really have to leave or you're just running away.
  6. Have someone to vent to. There will be some days that are just horrible. Everyone has bad days -- even those without IBS. Having someone to talk to can relieve your stress and give you some perspective.
  7. Actively seek out others like yourself. Don't just stop with this post. Use this forum and the internet to find a people like you -- medical professionals that have IBS -- and seek their advice. Their info will be a lot more tailored to your situations. Be careful to stay away from any negativity.
Do all these things and you'll be in good shape.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bones,Wow ur advice is fab...its certainly made me feel more positive just reading it. I am trying to take control of my IBS atm but its been really hard lately and have felt like giving up so glad ur post came along
I will try and put into practice all of the things you have said as it is really good advice. I am seeing a counsellor and have to do Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Exercises as homework. I am also seeing a dietician and regularly see a doctor to revise my medication etc but its just SO hard! I bet you can relate to that. May I ask you what career path you went down? I really want to succeed in my career I just know its going to be double as hard as most other people as I have the IBS to battle against. What sort of abdominal exercises did you do as ive heard a lot of people say these helped and I need to tone up anyways?Thanks so much for your reply
x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.