Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.I'm 18 and have just been diagnosed with IBS. I went through about 13 months of constant pain and sickness. The doctors refused to do anything about it until I went to a different hospital (go figure). They thought I had Crohn's at first because when I get sick, I get SICK. I can't sleep well anymore, and I'm constantly depressed. I'm in my last year of High School and my college of choice wants to put me in a 2 Bedroom Dorm...no way. It's way too embarrassing. I'm so stressed about that.My main problem, however, is that all the doctor told me was that I have severe IBS. That's it. Wonderful, right? Now what? That was a doctor that wasn't my family doctor though...but still..couldn't he have given me something? All I have is Dicetal from about 8 months ago when they put me on it. It never did anything. It still isn't. I have an appointment with my family doctor on Thursday, and I really hope he does something. For the past few months, everytime, and I mean everytime, I bleed when I go to the bathroom. Whether it's diarhea or I'm a little constipated. And it's scary when I have diarhea and I have a toilet full of blood. I've told numerous doctors of this and nobody has answered my questions. What could it be? This is so hard for me because I'm still in High School. I feel like I barely have a life because I get sick so often and can't even go out to eat with all my friends. I see all of you talking about types C and D. I have no idea what that means, and I think that a doctor should have explained it to me. I don't know what to do. I'm completely lost. Please help me!

G

·
Hey there.I am a 17 year old male with IBS. I am also on my last year of high school, so I know how you feel. I have had IBS/c since November 2002 and was diagnosed officaly in October 2003. First off, I know there are many differences between males and females with symptoms but I will do my best to help. It is important to know that IBS is not all in your head like some people may say, but anxiety makes it worse. Personally, I take 3 tsp of pysllium husk fiber (bulk forming) to help. Not sure how this would help you though because of the diharrea. What I would start with though, is an over the counter medicine called Digestive Advantage IBS. Its completely safe, and cheap too. Since I am no doctor, you may as well read this article I found which explains IBS well. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/ibs_ez/ Oh yeah. The whole C and D thing is simply constipation / diaharrea. Easier than to write out every time. lol.Good luck with this as I was in your shoes for a long time and am more than happy to help.Feel free to email me or message me on aim: d_cope87###hotmail.comdcope87Take care.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Lind,Try and find a good GI doc and they know far more about IBS. There are several approaches to controlling it and you'll have to find what works for you. There are many symptomatic approaches, but the key is elimination of other similar diseases.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.