Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hospitalized a week ago after continually suffering from severe bowel spasms, nausea, abdominal cramps, bloating, loss of appetite.......they did a colonoscopy and said everything looked okay, but took biopsies to check for celiac, etc. Since Wednesday, I've been trying to reintroduce food into my body, staying off gluten and dairy, just in case, but now I'm worse than I was before! The doctors said my problem is probably chronic constipation and I should eat more fibre, but my stomach won't seem to tolerate any food. Today I had a lactose intolerance test and I felt fine during the test, but when I got home I tried eating a gluten-free banana muffin and then had severe stomach pain and felt an urgent need to go, but even though there was lots of mushy stool, I couldn't push it out and had to disimpact myself to get it out. It was mainly undigested food and long reddish/purple thick strings, which I'm worried may be blood. Then a few hours later I got diarrhea and I finally caved and took 2 immodium, but my stomach is still killing me. I've always been IBS-C predominant, so now I'm worried that I'm swinging the other way or that they damaged something during the colonoscopy. I had stool tests done about a month ago and they were negative, but should I have them done again to make sure I don't have an infection or bacteria? I don't know what to eat or drink that won't bother my stomach, so I'm going to try some Resource meal replacement drinks, which they gave me in the hospital, but they contain whey, so I'm worried that that might be an irritant, too, but all the other meal replacement drinks have some kind of milk in them and I'm trying to avoid dairy right now. I'm also thinking of trying baby food, but I want to be able to eat again like a normal person and I have no idea where to start! Right now I'm scared to eat anything because my body seems to reject everything. I'm also thinking of trying pelvic muscle therapy to try to retrain my bowels, since I think they're so used to not having to work from me disimpacting myself, that they've become really weak. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what I should do to try to retrain my body. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As an aside, I found the colonoscopy to be incredibly painful. They gave me double the sedation they normally give patients, but I don't think it kicked in until they did the upper GI scope, because I remember the entire colonscopy and was screaming in pain, but I can't remember anything after I swallowed the camera. Also, I used to suffer from crippling acid pain, but they stopped a few years ago and since the procedure, they've been back with a vengeance. I'm wondering if it might be an ulcer, but they said that the upper GI scope would check for ulcers and they didn't find anything. Should they have done more tests besides an upper GI scope and colonoscopy? I had to check myself into the hospital to get them to even see me, so getting more tests will require fighting tooth and nail again, which I don't look forward to. Should I ask my family doctor for an ultrasound, maybe, to check my other surrounding organs (gallstones, kidney stones and hernias all run in my family)?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ruby333,I wish I could make it all better for you... I certainly feel for you. When I had my first and worst flare up, I didn't have to go through a colonoscopy, but had a barium enema and many other tests and was treated for all kinds of different ailments before they diagnosed me with GERD and IBS. All I was able to eat and drink was chicken broth, plain jello, pureed baby food, very small portions. I lost about 25 lbs during this time... but I was able to survive. Take care... I am thinking of you and will keep you in my prayers. :love: Angela

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hi Ruby, I am new here....and after reading your post I think I have come to the right place. Sorry you are feeling so bad. What I do and did when having "the spasms" is stop eating and drink water, lots of it. Then I make a soup with 1/2 potatoes, some beets, carrots, celery, little bit parsley, dandelion, cabbage, onion and garlic.small amounts of everything except the potatoes which is half the amount of the rest of vegetables. Boil until all are soft. Then drink the soup. and when you can eat....eat the vegetables. it is nourishing and FRESH. and for me I would have to stay away from all carbs like the banana muffin you mentioned. maybe a baked potato would be ok. hope this helps. and breathe deep from your stomach Joann

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.