Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just my appointment with the GI I mntioned before. The one that was supposed to be a bit mean... Well, he's polite but definitely not that nice. He has ordered a short, 5 min colonsoscopy of my lower interstines. That day I have to give myself an enema. I am so scared! I had an enema when I was little, and it was so painful! Also, I had a fully colonoscopy before, and I can't imagine being awake for the procedure!!!!
I'm sad, scared, depressed, and slightly constipated. I feel like I've sunk to my lowest.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
123, I don't think you mean a colonoscopy. I think he was referring to a sigmoid scope, which is what you described, just a look see with a scope at just the end of the colon. Perhaps since you were a child and not doing the inserting yourself with the enema it was uncomfortable??? I've never had a sigmoid, so I can't help ya there. Well one thing that is good, I suppose, is it is only 5 minutes long. Also it will probably allow him to check for other nasties and rule them out. When is it scheduled for?BQ

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
123, I don't think you mean a colonoscopy. I think he was referring to a sigmoid scope, which is what you described, just a look see with a scope at just the end of the colon. Perhaps since you were a child and not doing the inserting yourself with the enema it was uncomfortable??? I've never had a sigmoid, so I can't help ya there. Well one thing that is good, I suppose, is it is only 5 minutes long. Also it will probably allow him to check for other nasties and rule them out. When is it scheduled for?BQ

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The scope is scheduled for the afternoon of February the 6th. I hope such procedures aren't painful. Do you know if they have any affter effects from having the scope? Constipation?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The scope is scheduled for the afternoon of February the 6th. I hope such procedures aren't painful. Do you know if they have any affter effects from having the scope? Constipation?

·
Registered
922 Posts
123, don't get upset with your MD. They really can only help you if they find a physical problem and you don't want that. The lower test is a sigmoidscope for just a short distance inside and thought not comfortable is not excruciating and there should be no after effects. I would go on liquids the previous day and use a good "fleets enema" you can get at the pharmacy. If you want something that will possibly really help or even totally relieve your IBS please read my post on the "new member" and/or "IBS and anxiety" threads. This worked for me and with an open mind and help from Eric and Mike you will be a new person. Good luck, Norb

·
Registered
922 Posts
123, don't get upset with your MD. They really can only help you if they find a physical problem and you don't want that. The lower test is a sigmoidscope for just a short distance inside and thought not comfortable is not excruciating and there should be no after effects. I would go on liquids the previous day and use a good "fleets enema" you can get at the pharmacy. If you want something that will possibly really help or even totally relieve your IBS please read my post on the "new member" and/or "IBS and anxiety" threads. This worked for me and with an open mind and help from Eric and Mike you will be a new person. Good luck, Norb

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
You definately won't be constipated after. You will still have some of the laxative in your system so then next time you "go" things will be coming out with no problems. I just do not understand Dr's, if he is planning to go up there then why does he not go all the way up and give you a colonoscopy? Nuts!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
You definately won't be constipated after. You will still have some of the laxative in your system so then next time you "go" things will be coming out with no problems. I just do not understand Dr's, if he is planning to go up there then why does he not go all the way up and give you a colonoscopy? Nuts!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had the sigmoidoscopy 2 months ago. It was really not that bad at all! Don't worry. There are some cramps which can be helped by pressing on the lower abdomen. ( The nurse told me before hand.) It is the pain equivalent of giving blood. Good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had the sigmoidoscopy 2 months ago. It was really not that bad at all! Don't worry. There are some cramps which can be helped by pressing on the lower abdomen. ( The nurse told me before hand.) It is the pain equivalent of giving blood. Good luck!

·
Registered
428 Posts
HI,Sorry just ran across your post. Sigmoid scope.....not to worry. It really does just take 5 minutes. I insist that mine only took about 90 seconds. You don't feel mush at all....definitely no pain. If you feel anything it will be pressure like you have to go to the bathroom...but no pain. Once it's over it's over...no side effects afterwards.Someone asked why no do a full Colonoscopy....my GI said it's because the full scope is allot more dangerous and more costly. The sigmoid doesn't require any anesthesia and there is less chance of bowel ruptures.Don’t worry about the sig. You’ll be just fine. Rally no big dealKARL

·
Registered
428 Posts
HI,Sorry just ran across your post. Sigmoid scope.....not to worry. It really does just take 5 minutes. I insist that mine only took about 90 seconds. You don't feel mush at all....definitely no pain. If you feel anything it will be pressure like you have to go to the bathroom...but no pain. Once it's over it's over...no side effects afterwards.Someone asked why no do a full Colonoscopy....my GI said it's because the full scope is allot more dangerous and more costly. The sigmoid doesn't require any anesthesia and there is less chance of bowel ruptures.Don’t worry about the sig. You’ll be just fine. Rally no big dealKARL

·
Registered
68 Posts
I actually kept count of the time from the minute I walked into the examination room, chatted with the doc, had the procedure, chatted some more. All that took just 20 mins. I reiterate--please don't worry about it. I suffer from severe panic disorder and anxiety and it was really no big deal. Calm down.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I actually kept count of the time from the minute I walked into the examination room, chatted with the doc, had the procedure, chatted some more. All that took just 20 mins. I reiterate--please don't worry about it. I suffer from severe panic disorder and anxiety and it was really no big deal. Calm down.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.