Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since everyone always says the prep is almost worse then the actual tests, I'm curious as to what exactly can I expect today.I know there will be hours in the bathroom. But is there a lot of cramping and pain? Unbearable pain? Any other side effects that I may need to know about? How long till you usually get all cleaned out?And yes, this whole thing is driving me batty today.
Thanks again for all of your help!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Um ... prep for what?If it's a colonoscopy (which is what it sounds like to me, but that may just be because I had one), it's not all that bad. It's annoying, because you can't eat any real food. Then you have to take fleet (at least that's what I had to take) to empty everything out. There's not much sleep, because you keep running to the toilet. I don't remember there being any pain - it's not nearly as bad as if I had eaten a steak.When I tell people that the colonoscopy prep is worse than the colonoscopy itself, I'm trying to reassure them that the colonoscopy isn't bad. For me, they loaded me up with so much demerol that I found it rather enjoyable. I barely felt the scope - just the demerol.
They let me look at my innards on a TV while they ran it, which was pretty neat. One thing I found surprising was that my colon spasmed during the scope & grabbed the scope - he couldn't move it for a while, but was able to turn it back on itself to see the spasming portion.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Um ... prep for what?If it's a colonoscopy (which is what it sounds like to me, but that may just be because I had one), it's not all that bad. It's annoying, because you can't eat any real food. Then you have to take fleet (at least that's what I had to take) to empty everything out. There's not much sleep, because you keep running to the toilet. I don't remember there being any pain - it's not nearly as bad as if I had eaten a steak.When I tell people that the colonoscopy prep is worse than the colonoscopy itself, I'm trying to reassure them that the colonoscopy isn't bad. For me, they loaded me up with so much demerol that I found it rather enjoyable. I barely felt the scope - just the demerol.
They let me look at my innards on a TV while they ran it, which was pretty neat. One thing I found surprising was that my colon spasmed during the scope & grabbed the scope - he couldn't move it for a while, but was able to turn it back on itself to see the spasming portion.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry LTL, I should have mentioned what test I was having! I'm having a barium enema tomorrow. I'm assuming it's kinda the same prep as for a colonoscopy. Getting totally cleaned out, that is. I have to drink the magnesium citrate, then take four pills, and in the morning a suppository. All this to get cleaned out! I know it certainly won't be fun, but I'm hoping I can get through it!Thanks again.Jennifer

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry LTL, I should have mentioned what test I was having! I'm having a barium enema tomorrow. I'm assuming it's kinda the same prep as for a colonoscopy. Getting totally cleaned out, that is. I have to drink the magnesium citrate, then take four pills, and in the morning a suppository. All this to get cleaned out! I know it certainly won't be fun, but I'm hoping I can get through it!Thanks again.Jennifer

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
For another post, I see that you're having a barium enema so I can't be that much help. I did have a sigmoidoscopy the other day and thought the prep was worse than the test. For this, I didn't have to fast or do anythign diet-wise, but two hours before, I had to use enemas until I ran "clear." That was worse than the actual test - I had cramping while trying to hold the liquid in (and they said to try to hold it 5-10 minutes - hah!). But as soon as went to the bathroom, the cramps stopped. During the actual test, when I got that "urge" I reminded myself that I couldn't go anyway since I was pretty much emptied out. Take care and good luck. Learn all you can about procedure beforehand if you need to - I find the not knwoing the worst part. I did get to listen in on the doctor explaining stuff to the med student wile she did the test so that was interesting too.nancy

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
For another post, I see that you're having a barium enema so I can't be that much help. I did have a sigmoidoscopy the other day and thought the prep was worse than the test. For this, I didn't have to fast or do anythign diet-wise, but two hours before, I had to use enemas until I ran "clear." That was worse than the actual test - I had cramping while trying to hold the liquid in (and they said to try to hold it 5-10 minutes - hah!). But as soon as went to the bathroom, the cramps stopped. During the actual test, when I got that "urge" I reminded myself that I couldn't go anyway since I was pretty much emptied out. Take care and good luck. Learn all you can about procedure beforehand if you need to - I find the not knwoing the worst part. I did get to listen in on the doctor explaining stuff to the med student wile she did the test so that was interesting too.nancy

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I had a different prep than you are having. I has some thick stuff that they tried to disguise in chocolate mint flavour. (TRIED to disguise) For me it was just like the uncontrollable D I get once inawhile. At the end it was a bit worse since I did get cramps b/c there just wasn't anything there anymore. I made it easier on myself by not eating much for a few days before the test though. The Fleet prep was much worse for me.There will be a point in the barium test that they will hit somewhere and you will feel like you have to go NOW. They told me to tell them when and they would stop. Yeah....they did....10 mins LATER! They try and suck out all the barium they can as they pull the tubing out. I guess that helps, but, geez...good thing they had that bathroom 5 feet from the table!!!
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I had a different prep than you are having. I has some thick stuff that they tried to disguise in chocolate mint flavour. (TRIED to disguise) For me it was just like the uncontrollable D I get once inawhile. At the end it was a bit worse since I did get cramps b/c there just wasn't anything there anymore. I made it easier on myself by not eating much for a few days before the test though. The Fleet prep was much worse for me.There will be a point in the barium test that they will hit somewhere and you will feel like you have to go NOW. They told me to tell them when and they would stop. Yeah....they did....10 mins LATER! They try and suck out all the barium they can as they pull the tubing out. I guess that helps, but, geez...good thing they had that bathroom 5 feet from the table!!!
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yikes Auroraheart- That is my biggest fear with this!! How do you hold it like that for 10 minutes!! I called them and asked if they can give you something for the cramping. They said no, oh well it was worth a try.
Is it super hard to hold it for those 10 minutes? They also said it would take about 10 minutes, so that's why they don't give you anything. Well, I'll tell ya 10 minutes can be a very long time when you feel like you need to go NOW. Hopefully I'll lose a few pounds today on this wonderful diet of liquids. LOL That might just be the only good thing! Well that and getting the peace of mind. Which is the most important reason why I'm doing this!Jennifer

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yikes Auroraheart- That is my biggest fear with this!! How do you hold it like that for 10 minutes!! I called them and asked if they can give you something for the cramping. They said no, oh well it was worth a try.
Is it super hard to hold it for those 10 minutes? They also said it would take about 10 minutes, so that's why they don't give you anything. Well, I'll tell ya 10 minutes can be a very long time when you feel like you need to go NOW. Hopefully I'll lose a few pounds today on this wonderful diet of liquids. LOL That might just be the only good thing! Well that and getting the peace of mind. Which is the most important reason why I'm doing this!Jennifer

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
JenniferI don't know about the procedure for you, but I wonder if you can suck on peppermints during it. I did tihs for the flex sig and if nothing else, it helped me psychologically. I figured it is an anti-spasmodic. I didn't ask, but they didn't seem to notice or have a problem if they did. Then again, I had no dietary restrictions, just the fleet enemas beforehand.nancy

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
JenniferI don't know about the procedure for you, but I wonder if you can suck on peppermints during it. I did tihs for the flex sig and if nothing else, it helped me psychologically. I figured it is an anti-spasmodic. I didn't ask, but they didn't seem to notice or have a problem if they did. Then again, I had no dietary restrictions, just the fleet enemas beforehand.nancy

·
Registered
595 Posts
Well, I had a colonoscopy with the GoLitely or Colyte or whatever it's called -- the biiiiggggg bottle (when mixed with water). That was worse than the procedure, but the worrying was worse than the prep. I'm not saying it's fun. I'm not saying I want to do it again anytime soon, but it is do-able. I started getting the shakes and a little nausea at the end of the next to the last glass. I sipped some stuff and sipped some 7-Up and that kept me from throwing up. I have to say the "going" part wasn't all the much different than a really bad day of D.Let us know how you are.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Well, I had a colonoscopy with the GoLitely or Colyte or whatever it's called -- the biiiiggggg bottle (when mixed with water). That was worse than the procedure, but the worrying was worse than the prep. I'm not saying it's fun. I'm not saying I want to do it again anytime soon, but it is do-able. I started getting the shakes and a little nausea at the end of the next to the last glass. I sipped some stuff and sipped some 7-Up and that kept me from throwing up. I have to say the "going" part wasn't all the much different than a really bad day of D.Let us know how you are.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Er...When i had a sigmoidoscopy i didn't have any prep. In fact, they didn't even tell me they were going to do it!

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Er...When i had a sigmoidoscopy i didn't have any prep. In fact, they didn't even tell me they were going to do it!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Holding it wasn't too bad. I cried a bit, but it was more of a surreal experience since I was so dehydtrated at that point. I also figured that if I wasn't able to hold it it, well, they'd likely had it happen before.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts