Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
nytime I tell someone that I have IBS the first thing they say is 'What is that?'. After explaining to them what it is I always seem to get this look of mixed disgust and pity. People automatically think it's something where you're constantly dealing with diahorrea and that it's disgusting.

Even though so many people suffer from it, it seems like the rest of the population have only an idea of what it is and do not actually know what it entails. This leads me to think that if everyone suffering from some form of IBS has just one person they can confide in completely about it, can that help them cope better?

It doesn't have to be someone suffering from it too, it can be just a family member, a friend etc that may not have it but who is open minded and who will listen. I have been very fortunate in that I have someone like that. Yes he's my boyfriend and yes he already cares etc but he listens and understands that some days are hell and some are heaven. I can talk freely with him about all the gorey details and he accepts that. He tries to help me in any way that he can. Hell, he has even changed some of his eating habits for me and its benefiting us both!

I've been lucky that way and i fell that if everyone suffering has even just one person to confide in about their IBS then it can help them cope. Even if it's just to say that today is a bad day, that they're worried about eating or bathroom visits or even that it's been a good day and they're happy. Someone who they can be totally open with (Even about the unpleasant stuff) and someone who will not think it's disgusting and who isnt squeamish. Maybe this person can help you change bad eating habits, can help you plan trips so that if you are out and about, you will know where the nearest bathroom is just in case.

I know it can be very difficult to talk about the unpleasant stuff and not feel ashamed, disgusting in yourself and alone, but think of how it can lift the weight off you shoulders to just let it out to someone. It might help.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My mum and dad are understanding about it, but are often frustrated by my strange diet and regimen (understandable). Everyone else is confused, but I don't blame them. Friends don't know and I won't tell them. There is no girlfriend, so there is no need to tell.

My solution - say it on the forum and sometimes say it through my guitar. Anyway, I have become hardened over the years. I need lesser human sympathy/empathy or any-pathy to feel happy. Hoepfully soon, I will be able to avoid putting it on this forum also or vent it through my guitar. Its my problem and only I can figure a way out...or die trying.

As of now...I am having a fiesta and I hope it remains that way.

Good luck to you !

·
Registered
146 Posts
My best friend is amazing about it. She sometimes has random stomach problems too, not always too severe, but she was told it could be mild IBS symptoms, so she totally understands. I can tell her freely if i had food in my stool and im concerned, or if i ran to the bathroom 5x today, and she celebrates with me on days i feel good lol if i didn't have her to talk the details with, and vent, i might go nuts!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts