Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,Im a 21 year old/f with IBS. I've just been prescribed Zelnorm. The first day i took it i went one time, and for the rest of the day i just had bad cramps. I take 6 mg in the morning and before dinner. I'm on my third day and for the last two days i havent really gone. A little bit of loose stool, but thats about it. No diarrhea. No real bowel movement. Before Zelnorm i went every morning. Its helped with the bloating the first day but now thats back as well. It hasnt done anything for the gas. And i have absolutely no appetite on it. I was wondering if maybe the times i take it have something to do with it. I remember reading a few people take it at night. Also can taking too much make constipation worse?? How long does it take before you really feel a difference?? Maybe im just being impatient and expecting a miracle right away or its not working for me. Sorry its so long, Angela

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I think everyone is so different that what works for some doesn't work so well for others. For me the trick is to take it on a totally empty stomach. I take 6mg in the a.m. right as I get out of bed. It usually works within 1-2 hours. It is always sort loose and not formed but that's OK with me. I had to play with the doseage a bit too. I had D for the first few weeks but that's not a problem. Maybe you should ask your doctor if he/she wants you to take it differently. I would make sure though that you take it on a completely empty stomach.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You. I talked to the doctor and he said to try lowering the dose to 3mg twice a day. I'm not really sure about the point of taking it twice a day, but apparently it works better that way ??. Has it helped you with bloating, and gas at all?? The few times i've taken it i felt so out of it, really doped up. I'm hoping with a lower dose and time this feeling will go away. I've read so many mixed reactions on Zelnorm. I'm praying it works for me. Do you still watch your diet?? Angela

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
WHen I 1st started taking Z I think it affected my sleep. Also had D for the first couple of weeks. I still only have loose stools. The things that affect me are potatoes (the white part inside, i do fine with the skins) and lots of rice. So it must be the real starchy stuff that affects me. I still eat a high fiber diet and use magnesium and use Benefiber and drink lots of water. For the most part I eat what I want. I try to eat fiber in every meal and I do eat oatmeal everysingle day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.