Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there, i'm a 22 year old female. i have just finished uni and have started a new job, life should be going really great. However everyday is a constant struggle for me but i keep a brave face and keep trundling along. I'm at work right now and have a really bad pain on the left side, from the front right through to my back, actually its all down my left side. Most days i feel like this. i,ve been suffering with ibs for 5/6 years now. at first i would just get episodes now and then , but over the last 2/3 years i am hurting every day. not just physically. emotionally i dont feel very stable because i'm just tired of having to deal with it everyday. And the worst thing in the world it always feels like i am so alone. i used to ring my mum or sister up if i was having a bad day now i feel it just goes in one ear and out of the other. So most days i just keep it all to myself. sometimes it just gets too much and i dont know what to do.....i've been for an endeoscopy and a colonoscopy and the results from the biopsy where normal. Doc just sent me home with laxatives said i must have 'sluggish bowels.' Apart from that i've been on a host of medication such as anti-spasdomics etc. Now i am seeing a chinese Dr for acupuncture and herbal treatment. i still feel rubbishy most of the time. the worst thing that happened last week my boyfriend said to me ' are you gonna get better or you always gonna be like this? what was i supposed to reply. I have to live with some hope and pray to god (if hes listening) that one day i wont feel like this. I'm trying so hard to not let IBS control my life.....but its easier said than done. Well chin up i suppose....i know people in this world are worse off than me and should be thankful for everything i have...but its hard when i have no one to talk to...well not anyone who understands.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi you. I am so sorry you have to go through this. Know you are not alone. There isn't a person here who doesn't know what you are going through. Please do not let it get you down so much. I know that is easier said than done but everything is so much worse when we are mentally exhausted as well. Talk to your dr. about an anti-depressant before you hit rock bottom. The anti-depressants, anti-anxiety meds do work and while we can't control the physical side of this, least we can do what we can to keep our mental outlook better. Being tired, sick, in pain, and just totally worn out, weighs heavy on all of us. Take care and know I am here if you ever want to talk. We all have been where you are right now, thinking and feeling the way you are.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi you. I am so sorry you have to go through this. Know you are not alone. There isn't a person here who doesn't know what you are going through. Please do not let it get you down so much. I know that is easier said than done but everything is so much worse when we are mentally exhausted as well. Talk to your dr. about an anti-depressant before you hit rock bottom. The anti-depressants, anti-anxiety meds do work and while we can't control the physical side of this, least we can do what we can to keep our mental outlook better. Being tired, sick, in pain, and just totally worn out, weighs heavy on all of us. Take care and know I am here if you ever want to talk. We all have been where you are right now, thinking and feeling the way you are.

·
Registered
461 Posts
quote: look at this website cureforibs.com
I would urge you to look at this first . It's an excerpt from a post by kmottus from a while back. Here's a link to that post: Spotting Health Fraud
quote: How to Spot False Claims When evaluating health-related claims, be skeptical. If something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Here are some signs of a fraudulent claim: Statements that the product is a quick and effective cure-all or diagnostic tool for a wide variety of ailments. For example: "Extremely beneficial in the treatment of rheumatism, arthritis, infections, prostate problems, ulcers, cancer, heart trouble, hardening of the arteries and more." Statements that suggest the product can treat or cure diseases. For example: "shrinks tumors" or "cures impotency." Promotions that use words like "scientific breakthrough," "miraculous cure," "exclusive product," "secret ingredient" or "ancient remedy." For example: "A revolutionary innovation formulated by using proven principles of natural health-based medical science." Text that uses impressive-sounding terms like these for a weight-loss product: "hunger stimulation point" and "thermogenesis." Undocumented case histories or personal testimonials by consumers or doctors claiming amazing results. For example: "My husband has Alzheimer['s disease]. He began eating a teaspoonful of this product each day. And now in just 22 days he mowed the grass, cleaned out the garage, weeded the flower beds and we take our morning walk again." Limited availability and advance payment requirements. For example: "Hurry. This offer will not last. Send us a check now to reserve your supply." Promises of no-risk "money-back guarantees." For example: "If after 30 days you have not lost at least 4 pounds each week, your uncashed check will be returned to you."
caveat emptor!

·
Registered
461 Posts
quote: look at this website cureforibs.com
I would urge you to look at this first . It's an excerpt from a post by kmottus from a while back. Here's a link to that post: Spotting Health Fraud
quote: How to Spot False Claims When evaluating health-related claims, be skeptical. If something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Here are some signs of a fraudulent claim: Statements that the product is a quick and effective cure-all or diagnostic tool for a wide variety of ailments. For example: "Extremely beneficial in the treatment of rheumatism, arthritis, infections, prostate problems, ulcers, cancer, heart trouble, hardening of the arteries and more." Statements that suggest the product can treat or cure diseases. For example: "shrinks tumors" or "cures impotency." Promotions that use words like "scientific breakthrough," "miraculous cure," "exclusive product," "secret ingredient" or "ancient remedy." For example: "A revolutionary innovation formulated by using proven principles of natural health-based medical science." Text that uses impressive-sounding terms like these for a weight-loss product: "hunger stimulation point" and "thermogenesis." Undocumented case histories or personal testimonials by consumers or doctors claiming amazing results. For example: "My husband has Alzheimer['s disease]. He began eating a teaspoonful of this product each day. And now in just 22 days he mowed the grass, cleaned out the garage, weeded the flower beds and we take our morning walk again." Limited availability and advance payment requirements. For example: "Hurry. This offer will not last. Send us a check now to reserve your supply." Promises of no-risk "money-back guarantees." For example: "If after 30 days you have not lost at least 4 pounds each week, your uncashed check will be returned to you."
caveat emptor!

·
Registered
22 Posts
All I can say is that I feel what you are going through. My wife acts like I can control IBS and whenever we are getting ready to go away and my stomach starts acting up she is too eager to jump on my case about it. She says things like "oh, come on, you had plenty of time to go before now...you are always holding us up!" It makes me feel bad that she is not understanding and I can only guess that you feel the same with your boyfriend at times. You are right, chin-up! It is the best way to be.Good luck, I hope that things will get better for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
All I can say is that I feel what you are going through. My wife acts like I can control IBS and whenever we are getting ready to go away and my stomach starts acting up she is too eager to jump on my case about it. She says things like "oh, come on, you had plenty of time to go before now...you are always holding us up!" It makes me feel bad that she is not understanding and I can only guess that you feel the same with your boyfriend at times. You are right, chin-up! It is the best way to be.Good luck, I hope that things will get better for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Bubble. I am sooo sorry to hear what you're going through, but you really aren't alone. I am 23, and I've had IBS for the last 10 years. Like you, I am going through a REALLY BAD spell lately (I'm sure you understand what this means), but if you ever want to chat or exchange emails, let me know. I actually just joined this deal today looking for someone that I could talk to who knows where I am coming from! My friends are all cool, but they just don't get it. If I ever say that I don't feel well, their reply is "you never feel well". Well, take care and God Bless.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Bubble. I am sooo sorry to hear what you're going through, but you really aren't alone. I am 23, and I've had IBS for the last 10 years. Like you, I am going through a REALLY BAD spell lately (I'm sure you understand what this means), but if you ever want to chat or exchange emails, let me know. I actually just joined this deal today looking for someone that I could talk to who knows where I am coming from! My friends are all cool, but they just don't get it. If I ever say that I don't feel well, their reply is "you never feel well". Well, take care and God Bless.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have been VERY fortunate. My husband has been so good about this whole thing. If I have an attack while we're in public, he's always willing to go home as soon as possible. We have a few friends that we hang out with very often, so I made sure they understand that I have this and they too are very patient. Although everyone is so supportive, I'm still very self-conscience about it all. I'm 23 years old and in a new job and just started back to school, in addition to building a new house, so my IBS has been OUT OF CONTROL for the past few months. I just try to take it one day at a time. The most frustrating for me is that I've gained 13 pounds in two months b/c I feel too bad to go to the gym - double edged sword. I often tell my husband "I'm sick and tired of feeling sick all the time - I just want my life back!" Good luck with your IBS! I look foward to chatting with you!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have been VERY fortunate. My husband has been so good about this whole thing. If I have an attack while we're in public, he's always willing to go home as soon as possible. We have a few friends that we hang out with very often, so I made sure they understand that I have this and they too are very patient. Although everyone is so supportive, I'm still very self-conscience about it all. I'm 23 years old and in a new job and just started back to school, in addition to building a new house, so my IBS has been OUT OF CONTROL for the past few months. I just try to take it one day at a time. The most frustrating for me is that I've gained 13 pounds in two months b/c I feel too bad to go to the gym - double edged sword. I often tell my husband "I'm sick and tired of feeling sick all the time - I just want my life back!" Good luck with your IBS! I look foward to chatting with you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi there, I just wanted to say thanks for everyones replies. i'm really thankful to know people out there understand how I feel and care enough to reply. I am feeling better today. I had friday off work and have been resting lots. Well I went home for the weekend and my mum was looking after me. I hope everyone feels better, i know some days are just a drag and seem like they are never going to end...but i always keep hoping that tomorrow will be better. So the best thing I suppose is keep smiling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi there, I just wanted to say thanks for everyones replies. i'm really thankful to know people out there understand how I feel and care enough to reply. I am feeling better today. I had friday off work and have been resting lots. Well I went home for the weekend and my mum was looking after me. I hope everyone feels better, i know some days are just a drag and seem like they are never going to end...but i always keep hoping that tomorrow will be better. So the best thing I suppose is keep smiling.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi bubble.I am a 22 year old recent graduate. i have also just got a new job and boy does the IBS screw me up. I've only recently been diagnosed but i've had the pain a while now. My mum used to ignore me and say i was faking to avoid school or work. Now i no longer live with her she sees i'm not faking because i never have time off with it. Not sure how i can help but if you need someone to chat to i'm here for you.Ps where in england are you from?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi bubble.I am a 22 year old recent graduate. i have also just got a new job and boy does the IBS screw me up. I've only recently been diagnosed but i've had the pain a while now. My mum used to ignore me and say i was faking to avoid school or work. Now i no longer live with her she sees i'm not faking because i never have time off with it. Not sure how i can help but if you need someone to chat to i'm here for you.Ps where in england are you from?

·
Registered
112 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------hello all. This is probably a little off subject, but I just need some one to talk to. My husband informed me yesterday morning, that he wants a divorce. He is tired of me being sick all the time. I have severe IBS(A). I won a court hearing in which the judge found me to be disabled because of the severity of my condition. This is my second marriage. In my first marriage, my husband made enough money to support all of us, so I never had to ask the government for help.After 16 years of marriage to an alchoholic however my IBS had gotten so much worse so we opted for divorce. Now because of my lack of work history, I am not eligible to collect disability, just SSI(which is to supplement my current husbands income. Anyway before I married my now husband, I told him all about the IBS and panic attacks. He even researched it and told me that he could handle anything as long as I wasn't an alchoholic. WHich I am not.Well after almost three years of him losing job after job and us becoming so finacially in debt which by the way has ruined my credit, My stress level is through the roof once again causing big problems with my IBS. And now when he finally gets a decent job making good money, he can't handle being married to me anymore! My God it hurts so much to hear that. I packed up my two kids, gave away all my pets (he got to keep his dog) and moved away from my entire family to move here to Amine to live with him where all his friends are and all his family is. I just feel like I could die! I nursed this man through 3 surgeries! I rubbed his back almost every night and was very affectionate. I told him I loved him hourly. I massaged away his headaches. I stayed up nights watching him breathe until he was diagnosised with sleep apnea and now wears a breathing machine at night. I take care of his ailing old dog every day. The house is kept clean and dinner is onthe table almost every night except sometimes after a serious bout when I just can't get moving. He say's he might as well be single because my being sick alot keeps me from going out alot. What more does he want from me. I hate living like this myself!!!! I hate IBS. I hate Panic attacks, and right now I don't particuliarly like myself. I want to be normal. I was fine with my limitations until he made me feel less then human. I don't think I'm a bad wife. I never spend money on myself. I never ask for jewelry or for fancy clothes, nothing like that. All I wanted was a warm home and to be loved unconditionally. Sometimes the I think the only way to get that, is to advertise that I am looking for a male who also has IBS. Sorry for running off like that, I just have no one to turn to right now. Thanks for listening.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.