Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I am convinced that I have Crohns or UC because for the first time since this started in May, I have been awaken by D. To all those with a definite diagnosis of IBS--I was wondering if this ever happens to any of you. Or is this always a symptom of IBD? Please respond. Thanks

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
As best as I can tell there is no symptom that is every 100% Always one or the other.Some people with IBS have the normal 24 hour rhythm of the colon disrupted, so do not get the typical "colon goes to sleep" when "person goes to sleep"But this is more common in IBD than in IBS.However, if it is a one-off thing, or only happens once in a while it is less likely to be definitive.I mean if you eat something that wasn't good (or caught a GI bug) even a compltely normal GI tract person can wake up in the night with diarrhea.Now if this is happening most nights...that is more telling.Also, I hate to say it, but your mind does interact with the nerves controlling the GI tract and if you are worried/obsessed/or otherwise emotionally stressed over being sure you have Crohn's or UC, that will make the IBS symptoms worse as well.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
As best as I can tell there is no symptom that is every 100% Always one or the other.Some people with IBS have the normal 24 hour rhythm of the colon disrupted, so do not get the typical "colon goes to sleep" when "person goes to sleep"But this is more common in IBD than in IBS.However, if it is a one-off thing, or only happens once in a while it is less likely to be definitive.I mean if you eat something that wasn't good (or caught a GI bug) even a compltely normal GI tract person can wake up in the night with diarrhea.Now if this is happening most nights...that is more telling.Also, I hate to say it, but your mind does interact with the nerves controlling the GI tract and if you are worried/obsessed/or otherwise emotionally stressed over being sure you have Crohn's or UC, that will make the IBS symptoms worse as well.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
PS...I almost always get diarrhea in the night any time I get a Gi infection or eat something that was bad. Sometimes many times during the night and I am clear I just have IBS (or IBS in remission most of the time)Even though I rarely have a BM in the night..but this is something that stops after a couple of days.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
PS...I almost always get diarrhea in the night any time I get a Gi infection or eat something that was bad. Sometimes many times during the night and I am clear I just have IBS (or IBS in remission most of the time)Even though I rarely have a BM in the night..but this is something that stops after a couple of days.K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.