Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!When my IBS flare-up started, oh, 4 months ago, I was able to sleep. After a month or so, I was given Ativan because I was too anxious waiting for the colonoscopy. After that test was done, I decided to flush the pills because I was afraid of becoming dependend. Even though my results are normal, I am now worried about other tests that are coming up in January. Does anybody on the BB get any decent quality sleep or is it often interrupted? Does the pain wake you up or is it just the anxiety? Do many of you take some medication that help you relax and sleep? Just curious...
Nat

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
Nat, Sleep patterns do appear to be related to ibs but they haven't figured out how. taking a pill to help you sleep is not necessarily going to lead to dependence but ativan is usually only for very short term use I think. Ask your doctor about this and other solutions he might have?tom

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
Nat, Sleep patterns do appear to be related to ibs but they haven't figured out how. taking a pill to help you sleep is not necessarily going to lead to dependence but ativan is usually only for very short term use I think. Ask your doctor about this and other solutions he might have?tom

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have been asking myself this question also.When I have a good nights sleep - by that I mean quality and not necesarily quantity I feel much better. I have slept for 1 hour mid day and felt better that after a full nights sleep. I recently was away with work and slept poorly and felt really poor all week.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have been asking myself this question also.When I have a good nights sleep - by that I mean quality and not necesarily quantity I feel much better. I have slept for 1 hour mid day and felt better that after a full nights sleep. I recently was away with work and slept poorly and felt really poor all week.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It definitely affects you at night...can't understand...sometimes I wake up around 4:00 am and my stomach is really cramping...till I can't sleep. I too had a colonoscopy which showed up nothing but I really believe it has aggravated this stuff.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It definitely affects you at night...can't understand...sometimes I wake up around 4:00 am and my stomach is really cramping...till I can't sleep. I too had a colonoscopy which showed up nothing but I really believe it has aggravated this stuff.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think I have rarely slept through the night in ten years. Luckily though, usually it's not my stomach waking me up. Its either a child yelling (one with nightmares, one autistic that never sleeps through the night, and a ten year that gets horrible bloody noses at night, or a dog who jumps on the bed and lays on top of me!). My fantasies now consist of a big fluffy bed, comfy sheets, squishy pillow, zzzzzzz....

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think I have rarely slept through the night in ten years. Luckily though, usually it's not my stomach waking me up. Its either a child yelling (one with nightmares, one autistic that never sleeps through the night, and a ten year that gets horrible bloody noses at night, or a dog who jumps on the bed and lays on top of me!). My fantasies now consist of a big fluffy bed, comfy sheets, squishy pillow, zzzzzzz....

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry about your lack of sleep Karen... My kids are now at an age where, when they do wake up, you say - the next morning
--- What was that? You hardly notice it anymore.The joy of parenthood
Nat

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry about your lack of sleep Karen... My kids are now at an age where, when they do wake up, you say - the next morning
--- What was that? You hardly notice it anymore.The joy of parenthood
Nat

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not sure if I should reply here, I have MS and insomnia is part of the joy of that condition (I take Trazadone and Neurontin, they help, and cause vivid dreaming which is kind of fun really). Just wanted to add that my spouse snores. I mean, the man snores, I love him dearly but sometimes I eye *his* pillow menacingly. There are anti-anxiety meds available that aren't addicting, such as Buspar, that you may consider trying? So do you buy earplugs by the gross too? I awaken often in the night and have to scurry to the bathroom, even when experiencing C there is a feeling of urinary urgency, but I'm still working on shaking down a root cause for all this. Sleep interruption is a drag, I sympathise!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not sure if I should reply here, I have MS and insomnia is part of the joy of that condition (I take Trazadone and Neurontin, they help, and cause vivid dreaming which is kind of fun really). Just wanted to add that my spouse snores. I mean, the man snores, I love him dearly but sometimes I eye *his* pillow menacingly. There are anti-anxiety meds available that aren't addicting, such as Buspar, that you may consider trying? So do you buy earplugs by the gross too? I awaken often in the night and have to scurry to the bathroom, even when experiencing C there is a feeling of urinary urgency, but I'm still working on shaking down a root cause for all this. Sleep interruption is a drag, I sympathise!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sometimes doing things to increase your "sleep hygiene" can help a lot in getting a good night's sleep.Exercise during the day (but not within several hours of bedtime for anything strenuous).The bed is used ONLY for sleeping (and sex). Do no read, do crafts, do homework, watch TV, or anything else. You are trying to condition yourself that Bed=sleep. Everything else conditions you to Bed=Awake.No naps during the day. If you have to nap make it 20 minutes or less.Get up at the same time every morning. (if you have to sleep in, no more than 1 hour)If you toss and turn for an extended period of time get out of bed (don't want Bed=toss and turn now do we
) and do something quiet until you feel sleepy again.No caffiene after 4pm, or noon, or 9 am depending on how much it effects you.Taking a hot bath or shower 1 hour before bedtime can help. (a drop in body temperature is a signal for bedtime and it doesn't really matter if you artifically induce it).Spend the hour or two before bedtime winding down with quite activities. Now is not the time to speed-clean the house. Let yourself wind down.Make sure the room is quiet, dark and a comfortable temperature.K.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.