Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to constantly think about my bm's . If I'm not having a bad episode I am wondering when the next one will be and what the next bm will be like., such as if it will be kinda normal or if it will be painful or when it will happen. Just wondering if anyone elsedeals with this kind of anxiety and if it is normal with IBS?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi Sherri,I oftern can be like this... If I am having a lot of pain and my mind is on that I do wonder when the next bm will be and what it will look like etc. Not much fun, but I guess we have just got to try not to think about it...Ippo

·
Registered
976 Posts
I get like that also, if i get a good day and dont have a bm, i worry why i havnt been, then i will have my usual days of loose bms 2-3 times a day and worry why they are so loose and if it will stop so i can go out , also will i make it to a toilet when i am out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think that what you're describing is a hallmark for many people with IBS - the symptoms themselves are bad enough, but the constant anxiety related to it makes it even worse. And of course, given the mind-gut connection, the anxiety also worsens the IBS symptoms itself.I would talk to your doctor about the possibility of going on an antidepressant - a tricyclic if you are IBS-D or IBS-A, or an SSRI/SNRI if you're IBS-C. I'm D and amitriptyline has really helped me deal with the anxiety.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There does seem to be something about the types of symptoms IBSers get that do seem to set off anxiety for a lot of people. Even in some that typically don't find they had problems with anxiety before.We have a Managing Anxiety forum because it seems to be something common that IBSers often struggle with http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?showforum=31

·
Registered
53 Posts
Anxiety is a symptom of IBS.If your guts arnt right you can bet your chemical balance is out.My mood swings are terrible nowerdays. It even makes me angry before a BM.Loads of anxiety in between.You can worry about IBS but thats different to the horrible on edge anxiety feeling that im sure is a product of IBS.

·
Banned
61 Posts
I am constantly like this 24/7. I worry what every single BM will be like and I panic when I get messy stools that are hard to wipe and then worry more that I will have loose ones the next. Worry when the urgency will end end I usually have clean BM's leaving nothing behind messy to wipe. I start worrying about my BM's as soon as I wake up until I go to sleep at night. Then worry about tomorrow.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Me too! I worry as soon as I wake up and wonder what my day will be like. Never ever know when it''s going to hit. Niremetal - how much amitriptyline do you take? I took 30mg which did seem to slow my bowels down a bit, has it helped you with that side of things? Am now on imipramine which is better for me as it helps me to feel more awake during the daytime (!) but I'm not sure it's so good for slowing down my bowel and stopping the diarrhoea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts