Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HiSorry to bother you, but I read that you have alot of knowledge about thyroid. I went to the dr. 2 months ago and my TSH was .79. Went the GI last week and he ordered some more tests. my TSH came back at 6.22. I have been hypothyroid for 20+ yrs. Any suggestions as to what may be causing this? Thanks Kathy

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Hi Kat,Is your hypothyroidism an autoimmune type...like Hashimoto's? (I'm asking this because with autoimmune thyroid disease, you have TSH blocking and/or TSH stimulating antibodies which can confuse the TSH test)My first thought is what kind of replacement hormone are you taking...and do you get your medication in one month refills or 3 month refills. I'm thinking possible instability of the medication you are using for replacement hormone.With a TSH ping-ponging around like that, if I were you, I would request T4 and T3 levels to see what is going on with them...and antibody testing (TPO for Hashimoto's) if it has not been done previously.There is a LOT of information on Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism at: http://thyroid.about.com/mbody.htm Mary Shoman, who runs the site is herself a Hashimoto's patient. There are lots of articles and many knowledgeable people on their HYPO bb.Hope this helps....email me if I can be of any more assistance.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Hi Kat,Is your hypothyroidism an autoimmune type...like Hashimoto's? (I'm asking this because with autoimmune thyroid disease, you have TSH blocking and/or TSH stimulating antibodies which can confuse the TSH test)My first thought is what kind of replacement hormone are you taking...and do you get your medication in one month refills or 3 month refills. I'm thinking possible instability of the medication you are using for replacement hormone.With a TSH ping-ponging around like that, if I were you, I would request T4 and T3 levels to see what is going on with them...and antibody testing (TPO for Hashimoto's) if it has not been done previously.There is a LOT of information on Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism at: http://thyroid.about.com/mbody.htm Mary Shoman, who runs the site is herself a Hashimoto's patient. There are lots of articles and many knowledgeable people on their HYPO bb.Hope this helps....email me if I can be of any more assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts