Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been diagnosed with IBS-C for a couple of years, but I've had symptoms since I was a teenager. I'm now 26 and the only medication I take is a daily probiotic. I also have anxiety that tends to center around my health. I've seen doctors for what I was sure was ovarian cancer, colon cancer, stomach ulcers, appendicitis, etc. I haven't had a colonoscopy, endoscopy, etc. because the GI doctor I saw did not think it was necessary. I'm having a transvaginal ultrasound on Monday to rule out any issue with my ovaries, but my PCP, OBGYN, and GI doctors are all convinced it's IBS.

My symptoms include mild constipation - I strain a lot to have a bowel movement, but I usually have one every 1-2 days. My doctor did a pelvic exam and found stool backed up in my "anal vault" and I had no idea I was backed up. I tried Miralax and Metamucil in the past and I'd quite honestly rather be constipated. They take a week to work and then I end up having extremely frequent soft skinny stools and I retain water like crazy. My more bothersome symptoms involve a wide array of abdominal sensations. Gas, sharp pains in my side, burning sensation in my mid and upper abdomen, nausea, etc. This used to only occur when I really overindulged in food. However, now I have a more mild version of this even with my regular diet and I can't find a single food connection. It seems random, even occurring hours after I eat, but gets worse when my anxiety is bad.

I'm going to NYC for a week in May and this vacation is 90% about food. I love to eat and I plan to do a lot of it. I don't want to be miserable the whole time I'm there. Right now, the only thing that helps is lying down until it passes, but I can't really do that on the streets of New York. I'm looking for a combination of preventative and breakthrough medications/supplements/products that I can use while I'm there. Either prescription or OTC. I occasionally use TUMS, but they only help sometimes. Same with Zantac.

Most of the time, I feel okay, but when these symptoms come, I'm miserable until they decide to suddenly disappear. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Ireed89. I'm sorry that you are having so many challenges. I started showing symptoms of IBS about two weeks ago. Even though its too soon to tell if I have this condition, I have started taking steps to prevent it from getting worse. I can share with you some of the ways I try to manage the IBS symptoms. Hopefully they can help you feel in tip-top shape for your vacation.

I think you can really decrease your IBS symptoms with the proper diet. I am trying to avoid problem foods by decreasing my intake of wheat, gluten, lactose and high-fructose fruits. I know this sounds miserable at first, but there are still plenty of tasty food items you can enjoy that don't trigger IBS symptoms, while still enjoying your favorite foods in moderation. Here is a guide that will help you get started eliminating IBS trigger foods (FODMAPS). http://www.cassandraforsythe.com/blog/complete+fodmap+list+for+a+happy+gut

In addition, try to do 30-40 minutes of exercise daily. Exercise is great for boosting your energy and helping digestion. Even a brisk walk once or twice a day can go a long way.

You might find that it is helpful to take a fiber supplement to help increase your daily fiber intake and promote good digestion. I recommend taking FiberCon (calcium polycarbophil). Stimulant laxitives like MiraLax can be bad for colon if taken for long periods of time. I typically only like to use these when diet and other medications don't work. You can also mixing Benefiber into an 8 oz glass of water before every meal.

Try to relax. There is a huge connection between the mind and the gut, so anxiety and stress will only make stomach problems worse. I can understand the urge to keep dwelling on it because I also have issues with hypochondria. Hang out with friends and family, go for a walk, watch a movie, meditate, take a hot bath, get a massage, have a nap. Anything to take your mind off of your gut. If you are a particularly spiritual person, you can pray. Sometimes I think that having a digestive issue means that I can't enjoy life anymore. I'm starting to see that this isn't the case.

Peace, love and blessings to you, friend. xo

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi, I do methylcellulose treated no gas soft soluble fiber, drink 10C non-chlorinated (for probios) water/day paced, walk every day, eat smaller, frequent, well chewed meals-3 regular w 2 snacks in between and one liquid non-heavy snack early evening with the fiber before EVERYTHING I eat. Can not overeat with IBS. Eat very small insoluble salad at end of meal. Less inflammatory omega 3 oils, but not on an empty stomach. White spelt bread, white rice, white rice pasta, less of white potato-----all starches at beginning of meals, lean proteins and only 1/4C needed at most. Steamed, soft mashed vegetables peeled and deseeded, same with fruits. Utilize quick #2 baby foods if on a trip. Take antigas product if needed. The rest of what I do is on my health profile. I don't do onions, or beans-even cooked and drained after 1st boiling and cooked again and w enzymes supplement, the soluble food fiber can be fermented in colon too much, even a little amt;I'm that sensitive. I've done small amounts of well steamed brocolli. Oatmeal contains too much fermentable soluble food fiber, even in sm amts for me at a time, too sensitive. I will reintroduce some of these problematic foods. I take hemp cbd oil extract w GREAT success. FODMAP DIET IS OK, BUT too much soluble food fiber that does not digest-just ferments in colons at a time can be a problem;It's not just natural food sugars that can be gassy. FOOD for thought..
rolleyes.gif
Tums is calcium carbonate..more constipating. Try combining magnesium oxide or citrate with calcium that is less constipating situation and helps cal. absorb, and cal. buffers mag. Mag. helps relax, also the buffering Ester form of C vitamin form is best and relaxes, without bugging stomach too. Constipation truly is not being able to go for over 3 days, but really we should all go at least once/day, otherwise gets too toxic. Hope you feel better.

·
Registered
568 Posts
HEMP CBD oil cannot be understated. I would expect someone without severe symptoms would go back to pretty much normal on it. I still would be a bit careful with what you eat on the trip, but I have yet to see any single thing out there anything like it for opening up a diet to more foods without problems with IBS. To me, this would be the "ticket" for this trip for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts