Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You were wondering the relationship between FI and depression. Well fructose malabsorbers have low serum tryptophan concentrations. http://www4.infotrieve.com/newmedline/deta...ession&count=14 And tryptophan is the precursor to guess what? The all ubiquitous serotonin. Tryptophan is the only substance that can be converted to serotonin in the body. Serotonin is in turn converted to melatonin which assists sleep pattern. Thus tryptophan clearly plays an instrumental role in balancing mood and sleep patternsfrom http://home.bluemarble.net/~heartcom/trypt...omelatonin.html As to why fructose malabsorbers have low tryptophan, I don't know

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh found this- Tryptophan resorption seems to be disturbed in fructose malabsorbers. Reduction of unabsorbed fructose resultsa in improving tryptophan resorption resulting in a higher tryptrophan availability.The transport of tryptophan is increased with increased carb consumption so that it can be converted to seroitonin, melatonin etc. Depressives therefore crave sweets. Fructose malabsbers who are generally more prone to develop mood disturbances will develop a hunger for sweets and hence will lead to a vicious cycle of short term improvement of depression but a long term unavailability of tryptophan and reduction of fructose is the only intervention available.That is what I understood from http://www4.infotrieve.com/newmedline/deta...ession&count=14 If you can get your hands on it read it please

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
i'm probably fructose malabsorber.When i have a kind of diarrhea or i'm weak i take sugar to replace the minerals lost.I have hypoglycemea and it's related to my disrup bowel.I know that i must evoid cane sugar,fructose(especially juice)and some other products.You seems to have the same kind of ibs like me,acidity,gas etc...can you explain what you found on fructose?my computer dosen't reach the site.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spasman the first site has this abstractTitle: Fructose- and sorbitol-reduced diet improves mood and gastrointestinal disturbances in fructose malabsorbers. Author: Ledochowski M , Widner B , Bair H , Probst T , Fuchs D Source: Scand J Gastroenterol, 35(10): 1048-52 2001 Service Fee: $12.00 ; Copyright Royalties: $22.00 Abstract: BACKGROUND: Fructose malabsorption is characterized by the inability to absorb fructose efficiently. As a consequence fructose reaches the colon where it is broken down by bacteria to short fatty acids, CO2 and H2. Bloating, cramps, osmotic diarrhea and other symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome are the consequences and can be seen in about 50% of fructose malabsorbers. We have previously shown that fructose malabsorption is associated with early signs of mental depression and low serum tryptophan concentrations. It was therefore of interest whether a fructose-reduced diet could not only improve gastrointestinal complaints but also depressive signs seen in fructose malabsorbers. METHODS: Fifty-three adults (12 males, 41 females), who were identified as fructose malabsorbers according to their breath-H2 concentrations, filled out a Beck's depression inventory-questionnaire, and a questionnaire with arbitrary scales for measurement of meteorism, stool frequency and quality of life for a 4-week period before dietary intervention and 4 weeks after dietary change as for fructose- and sorbitol-reduced diet. RESULTS: Depression scores were reduced by 65.2% after 4 weeks of diet (P less than 0.0001), and there was a significant reduction of meteorism (Pless than 0.0001) and stool frequency (P less than 0.01). Improvement of signs of depression and of meteorism was more pronounced in females than in males. CONCLUSION: Fructose- and sorbitol-reduced diet in subjects with fructose malabsorption does not only reduce gastrointestinal symptoms but also improves mood and early signs of depression.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The second site saysFrom Tryptophan to Serotonin to MelatoninTryptophan is an amino acid (L-Tryptophan), one of the building blocks of protein, but unlike some amino acids, Tryptophan is considered essential because the body cannot manufacture its own. Tryptophan plays many roles in animals and humans alike, but perhaps most importantly, it is an essential precursor to a number of neurotrans- mittters (Serotonin being one of the most important) in the brain. As such, Tryptophan is the only substance that can be converted into Serotonin. Since Serotonin, in turn is converted into Melatonin, which has been shown in several good studies to assist in sleep, Tryptophan clearly plays an instrumental role in balancing mood and sleep patterns. Tryptophan may also be of some benefit in the treatment of some psychiatric disorders. Originally developed to treat depression in humans, Prozac, Zoloft, Praxil, and others are now being prescribed for a variety of disorders, including anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder, migraine headaches, sleep disturbances, weight loss, PMS, obesity, and back pain. All of these drugs work along the same principle. Selective reuptake inhibitors, or SRRI's as they are known, work by increasing the level of Serotonin (chemically called 5-hydroxytryptamine) by blocking its reuptake by adjoining neurons. Blocking the uptake of Serotonin thereby leaves more in the synapse to act as a neurotransmitter. It is a fact, however, that Serotonin can also be elevated in the way nature intended, namely, by elevating Serotonin's building blocks in the diet (or "livet" as I would prefer to call it). Tryptophan occurs naturally in foods (see partial list below). In 1990,Tryptophan was removed from the human supplement market when one Japanese manufacturer sent several contaminated batches to the US. Increasing the Tryptophan - Serotonin - Melatonin levels through proper eating habits is a far superior method of balancing mood and sleep patterns than the quick fixes and side effects and possible hazards of drugs and nutrient supplementation. The conversion of Tryptophan to Serotonin is a two-step process. First, Tryptophan is converted into 5-hydroxy L-Tryptophan, or 5-HTP, and then 5-HTP is, in turn, converted into Serotonin. This is the process by which Serotonin is produced from food. Foods highest in Tryptophan are Tofu, Most Soy products, Black-eyed Peas, Black and English Walnuts, Almonds, Sesame Seeds, Roasted Pumpkin Seeds, and Gluten flour. In studies of sleep deprivation, poor eating habits appear to have a direct effect on not only the duration, but the timing of sleeping patterns. In studies done with humans on two continents by Lehman, Braverman, and Pfeiffer, depressed patients were found to have significantly low plasma levels of Tryptophan than normal controls. By way of contrast, changes in thirty other amino acids were not significant. To list just a few potential applications, human studies have also demon- strated Tryptophan's benefits in treating Down's syndrome and aggressive behavior. Indeed, horse owners report that horses fed soy meal, which has about 5 times the level of Tryptophan as do oats, seem calmer and less aggressive than those fed oats. The question remains, how does Tryptophan compare with SRRI's in treating clinical conditions? A study done by a team of SWISS and German psychiatric researchers comparing the Tryptophan metabolite, 5-HTP, for example, with the SRRI, Fluvoxamine, found that depression was alleviated more predictably with the 5-HTP, and while side effects are commonly reported for Fluvoxamine, the Physician's Desk Reference does not list any for 5-HTP. The researchers went on to conclude that the Tryptophan metabolite actually treats a broader range of symptoms known as "Serotonin Deficiency Syndrome," which may manifest as depression, anxiety, sleeplessness, aggression, nervousness, obsessive-compulsive behavior, and migraines... many of the same symptoms that are being treated in humans and animals with SRRI's. Tryptophan, in addition to being a precursor to Serotonin, is also a precursor to Niacin and can be used in the treatment of Pellagra. It is really Tryptophan rather than Niacin that acts as an essential amino acid that plays a role in structural proteins and enzymes found throughout the body. ~ ~ adapted by Jon Zwayer from several articles written by certified and clinical nutritionists.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
What can i do?taking triptophan supplement andmaybe i can reduce fructose and sorbitol but it probably impossible to evoid it completly.What foods have sorbitol in it?

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorbitol is found in some fruits. The fruits are:ApplesPearsPeaches (and all the peach hybrids like nectarines)PlumsCherries.Sorbitol is a sweet-tasting sugar alcohol used in many sugar-free or �dietetic� candies, cake mixes, syrups, and other foods, as well as in some medicinesand in Brach�s Star Brites Fruity Candies, Life Savers Delites Hard Candy; Cumberland Packing Corp.�s Sweet �N Low Sugar Free, Low Fat Cake Mixes; Frutay Peppermint Drops; Cary�s Maple Syrup; Allen Wertz Simply Sugar Free Chocolate & Vanilla Caramels, Fruit Taffy Whips, and Coffee Toffee.and in sugarless gum.I don't think tryptophan supplements will help as its resorption is disturbed in fructose malabsorbers. You will just end up craving sweets I think.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Bonniei-I understand griffonia seed will help increase the seretonin in our systems. I know you have a preference towards dietary rather than supplementary approaches, but do you have any info re griffonia positive or negative?Mark

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know much about griffonia except the 5HTP extracted from it is pure and not subject to impurities like LTryptophan which seems to be a product of bacterial fermentation and filtering.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
quote: CONCLUSION: Fructose- and sorbitol-reduced diet in subjects with fructose malabsorption does not only reduce gastrointestinal symptoms but also improves mood and early signs of depression.
I think that this is extremely important information and it lends further support to the idea that our brains might be the target organ as opposed to the organ of origination.that is a sweeping generalization but it still needs to be examined. especially in light of the current treatment for depressed individuals --- i.e., a lifetime prescription of anti-depressants.i suspect that anxiety might also be increased in some people due to these malabsorption issues. of course, the easier thing to do is get everyone hooked on xanax123 instead of looking at GI issues.f. --- how's the gaaaaaas?***************************************************************************it makes me wonder if a depressed brain is partly due to a depressed gut. or an anxious brain is due to an anxious gut. or a sick brain is due to a sick gut. i am sure it is much more involved than this but in my caase it seems to perfectly follow this pattern.i can make my brain bad just by eating any number of foods that cause a GI reaction.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good points kel
quote: it makes me wonder if a depressed brain is partly due to a depressed gut. or an anxious brain is due to an anxious gut. or a sick brain is due to a sick gut. i am sure it is much more involved than this but in my caase it seems to perfectly follow this pattern.
eric used to regularly post an artic called The Gut:The Second brain.Yes the gut has a mind of its own and is constantly comunicating with the brain and affecting it. One of the first things they ask in traditional Indian medicine is to ask the patient about the health of the stomach. They check the tongue out to see if it is coated or not and determine the state of the stomach when you go with any illness.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
i wonder if it could be as simple as fructose causing the growth of certain bacteria that provoke an immune response and as soon as the immune response is set off --- the cytokines are messaging to the brain.i would like to know why people can't tolerate fructose. i seem to be able to tolerate greater amounts over the last couple of years.i wonder if i am changing the chemistry of my gut with the probiotics and antibacterial/fungal herbs.--but i got into some trouble with a bottle of elderberry juice (pure-no added sugar) a little while ago. it messed up my brain

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
it seems that the immune system is so much more complex than the nervous system.i do not doubt that our nerves can be disturbed/damaged due to viral infection past or present, but my guess is that the immune system would be more likely to be involved as a precursor event to the nervous system.the question that i am trying to figure out for myself is ---- why is my immune system out of whack? why so many typical and atypical allergies (and even my typical allergies are not necessarily a severe histamine reaction) (i think that histamine is only a small part of the misery)why do mold spores (eating and breathing them) cause such severe reactions in me. this is immune related for certain.if i can tone it down i will eliminate much of the remaining suffering --- but i don't want steroids.********************************************************************* My housemate has noticed the same thing. theEnterprise has a hole in the rear underside of the battle hull

1 - 14 of 14 Posts