Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know any other way to ask this, other than just to describe it and it is kind of gross. But, I know to a bunch of IBSers, it isn't nearly as gross to you as it would be for somebody else. So...I have noticed that a lot of times when I have an attack of IBS, I will have pieces of undigested food in with the little pieces of poop. Like, tonight I had actual little pieces of lettuce and tomatoes in the toilet. Is this something that others experience, as well? I know that my dad had IBS, and sometimes when he would flush the toilet and not all would go down, I would go in and find leftover poop that looked just like what I have been having. I don't always have these "leftovers" but tonight I did, and it got me to wondering it this is more common than I think?------------------ Mandy

·
Registered
220 Posts
Mandy, nothing to be embarrassed about.
I experience the same thing. I don't really know why, except for that everything seems to go through me pretty quickly. I'm sure somebody here will have a more thorough explanation for you.Bev

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, it is common for me when I am having a d attack. Usually I am shocked at how quickly it goes through me from the last meal. I am on Atkins diet and taking Lotronex and doing much better. Nice solid stools --usually .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
carrots, tomatoes, cornlots of things come out whole.No need to be embarrassed here. We totally understand. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

·
Registered
197 Posts
HiIt is pretty common and has to do with having IBs. From what I gather, it is because when one suffers with D. It is because our food is not being digested properly and therefore is going right through before our insides get the chance to break it down and go through the proper channels before it turns to poop.Sorry, I know I'm simplifying this. I know I will be corrected with a much more detailed process.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Happens to me too...a virtual cornucopia of what I've eaten...undigested!! Onions, mushrooms, lettuce, corn, tomatoes have all made a second appearance on me! (And don't worry about being graphic...we've seen and heard it all
)

·
Registered
111 Posts
happens to me all the time too and I was so panicked about my getting the proper nutrition (because GI doc says I have some malabsorbtion issue that he has no answer for but isn't threatening??) that I asked my gastro if this is normal and also did research on the web.The doc said it was normal for bits to come out like this even in someone without IBS. I don't know--corn perhaps but whole meals?? This can be quite disconcerting you know?anywho, you aren't alone.

·
Registered
732 Posts
bug,Well at least the parts are not reassembling themselves before they come out!! Can you imagine how that would be.I would not worry about the nutrition issue till you have a prolonged weight loss. If you do then inform the doctor immediately.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your responses, everybody.
The nutrition thing is one part of it that concerned me, especially being 6 months pregnant. But, also, it is just a little disconcerting to get up and see a salad in the toilet! lolThanks again.------------------ Mandy

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey ClancyLOL. It's true that if I looked in the toiley and saw a whole burrito complete with it's tortilla wrap, I would first, check to make sure I had just...um, done my business, then I would call 911, and finally I would be on the nearest bus to the funny farm and most likely would never recover
With regard to the weight loss thing, well I did lose weight and am pretty thin but had a thyroid condition when it started and have always been pretty thin. My weight was the alarming factor to docs and me, but things have been ruled out and perhaps it just comes down to IBS, nausea, Di Di, and nerves. I mean, who has an appetite when you have days like sitting in traffic waiting to D yourself if you don't get home soon and the nerves making your nauseated and so on

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have that happen to me all the time. Especially with salad. It's one of my trigger foods, but sometimes I can eat it and be okay...so I sit at home and eat it anyway and hope not to pay the price later. I love them...they just don't love me. But lots of times it comes back out just the way it looked when it went in. Your not alone on this one.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thats a common problem for me also and not only foods that I've eaten.Its happened alot with pills I've taken they seem to come back as whole as when I've taken them,and this can happen anywhere from 15minutes to 2hrs.later.GI can't figure it out.------------------ShyOne (D-type)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the same problem but it's mainly with peanuts and popcorn which I love but have to give up. They go right through me. I go through boxes and boxes of mini pads. Today I have not been able to leave the house.It's the pits.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.