Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a long bout of IBS D and am experiencing some anxiety and mini panic attacks with insomnia. I had xanax .25mg which I was taking at bedtime but it was not helping much. I cannot take drugs that make me sedated during the day. My GP just switched me to klonopan .5mg. Does anyone have any experience with using these meds. I was thinking maybe the dose of xanax was too little? thank you.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi Minnie m,I'm certainly not giving advice on how much or what drug you should take, but I'll just tell you my experience. After six months of daily D, I started taking .25 of Xanax morning, afternoon and night to stop my D. It didn't make me sleepy or anything, just a whole lot calmer. Now I take .25 Xanax morning and night because I've added Effexor XR 75 once a day. My D is now gone (knock on wood) I don't know anything about the new drug you've been switched to. Have you discussed your concerns with your doctor? He or she would be the one to make advice on what you should take.Why the switch to the new drug? Take care.

·
Registered
74 Posts
From what my doctors have told me, the doses of Klonopin and Xanax are equal (.50 Klono would be about the same as .50 of Xanax, or .50 Valium). The drugs are very similar, in the same drug family. Each of these drugs will act somewhat diffently--some give a more intense effect, but that effect may act for a shorter time. Xanax is supposed to have the stongest effect, but those effects will not last as long as Valium or Klono.I take 2 MG at night of Xanax to help me sleep and prevent night time panic attacks. I'm not sleepy during the day, just calmer. .25 is a pretty low dose of Xanax---I believe that's the lowest there is.I've tried Klonopin, Xanax, and Valium (all similar drugs). Xanax definetely gave me the most intense effect, whereas Valium and Klonopin lasted longer in my system but were not as intense or effective at the same dose.For help with sleep and nightime panic attacks, Xanax definetely works better for me compared to Klonopin or Valium. It's best to start with the low dose, and, if necessary, go to a higher dose if needed. As with most drugs, it's best to take the minimum amount that will do the job. I sometimes vary my doses at night based on conditions. If I already feel pretty sleepy, I take less than 2 mg. If I feel really agitated, I might take a bit more.Just a word of caution, which I'm sure your doctor will warn you about--make sure that if you ever discontinue taking this family of drugs, make sure you slowly taper down your dosage to avoid or lesson the withdrawal effects.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I like Xanax better than any of the ones I tried. I have yet to try Ativan though, so thats the only one I cannot comment on. I use a low dose of Xanax as well .25 or sometimes .5 twice daily and not every day..probably 5days out of the week.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Have you all found relief from "D" by taking these drugs? I take Ativan .50 at nite to sleep, but I still have to take 10 mg of Bentyl 4 x a day and Lomotil 2 x a day to keep the "D" in check. Then I have to stop the Bentyl and Ativan so I can have a BM.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi Charbeaner,As I said in my post above, within 48 hours of taking the Xanax 3x a day, my D stopped. Although I had a few attacks when things got really stressful--my mother starting having hallucinations with her dementia--once I added the Effexor ER 75 mg.once a day, reducing the Xanax to twice a day, things have been quite normal. I really never thought the D would end after six months of 5 bouts a day, but it is gone. Amazing to have a relief come so quickly after dose after dose of all the anti-D drugs did nothing. Take care.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.