Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, eveyone - I suffer from IBS-C and anxiety. I was diagnosed with IBS when I was about 7 years old and again when I was in my teens (I am 26 now) I suffer(ed) extreme pain (anxiety-triggered). I also suffer(ed) the general effects of anxiety in general. (tight chest, can't breathe, insomnia, shaking, etc...)Anyways, to the point! My university doctor has prescribed me klonopins about a year and a half ago after I requested them. I know that my mother (and others in my life / on this board) have had wonderful results when it came to managing anxiety. I also knew that people on this board had them prescribed as a means of managing their IBS (stress-triggered).My doctor now feels uncomfortable prescribing this to me. She feels, I think, that it is unorthodox. SO! For any of you out there that have this prescribed to you for either anxiety, IBS, or both, please respond to this thread with your story / feedback. I plan on emailing this to my doctor so that she can see that it really is not unorthodox. Thank you so much in advance!

·
Registered
830 Posts
you are aware, i'm sure, of the addictive aspect to klonopin and other drugs in that category. klonopin is particularly vicious when combined with alchohol. your doctor may be trying to prevent you from becoming a downer junkie. have you sought counseling concerning your anxiety? biofeedback? acupuncture? other non addictive meds for anxiety if you happen to have faulty brain chemistry (paxil, zoloft, etc) - ? good luck, g-

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have to agree with ghitta. This drug is wicked and it is not used without much consideration in those WITH a convulsive dx. The side effects are horrid. Before you subject yourself to this drug, please ask your doc to exhaust every-other available remedy out there for you.In short, in long, sideways and upside down, the risks far outweigh the benefits.Good luck.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've been taking Klonopin for over 5 years (.25mg) 3 times a day and I've been doing extremely well. The drug is just as effective for me now as it was then and I've had no problems with it at all. Sometimes I forget to take it and I dont have any withdrawal effects at all.I know everyone is different, but for me its been the greatest. Unfortunately it hasnt helped my symptoms, however my problems arent related to stress at all.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Drugs such as paxil and zoloft may or may not be effective for anxiety disorder. I take both Xanax and Effexor XR in low doses, and though the Effexor has certainly helped with depression and allowed me to develop better coping skills, without the Xanax I would still be spending the morning on the toilet. As to the "viscious" and "addictive" comments, that is not typical of most people who take anti-anxiety specific drugs. I have take Xanax at three different periods in my life, and I was always able to stop using it by gradually decreasing my dosage without any problems. There are many drugs out there that people choose to abuse, but that doesn't mean they do not have a medical use for specific problems. My psychiatrist treats many of his patients with Xanax and has found it to be very effective when other medications have failed. His main problem has been people who feel pressured by family and friends to stop taking the medication and when they do their anxiety returns. Take care.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.