Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!I have a quick question. I'm allergic to acacia in its plant form -- get the sneezes, running nose, etc. Many of the products I want to try to help my IBS-C contain acacia or acacia gum. Do you think that there would be a problem taking these products? Acacia seems to be used widely in pharmaceutical products and I assume they must do something to get rid of the allergens. Any help that you could give would be appreciated.Thank you.Renee'

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Possibly, but there are a few factors to consider.The protein in the pollen you react to (assuming we are talking a pollen allergy not a just in a room with the whole plant sort of thing) may not be present in the stuff made from the plant or the gum from the plant.Some people feel that eating honey made from stuff that they are allegic to the pollen actually reduces the allegies (much like allergy shots, if you put it in the body a different way (GI or into the blood vs sniffing it) there is a different reaction.However, some people have cross-reactions to plants they eat when they have pollen allergies to related things.So it is hard to know.If you decided to risk it, I would take antihistamines an hour before you try taking the med, and stay on them for awhile and see how that goes, the you can try backing off the antihistamines and see if it bothers you or not.However, if you have ever had really bad asthma breathing problems or anaphalactic shock from your allergies I would probably avoid it. There are lots of other fibers and gums, so this shouldn't be the only option for you.It may also be wise if you decide to try it to have someone with you for the first hour or so and check up on you periodically over the next couple of days to make sure you are OK.K.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts