Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had trouble identifying my gas trigger foods, but may have realized that salads, normal lettuce greens, kill me about 18 - 24 hours after I eat them. The gas is so smelly and uncomfortable, even if I only eat a small bit of salad. Is this a common trigger food, and if so, what about lettuce makes it such a killer? Anything other than the fact that it a carb?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I haven't seen anything specific about lettuce, but some part of the carbohydrate (either a sugar, starch, or fiber) is the likely culprit.K.------------------I am a scientific researcher primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have no ties to the pharmaceutical industry. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I haven't seen anything specific about lettuce, but some part of the carbohydrate (either a sugar, starch, or fiber) is the likely culprit.K.------------------I am a scientific researcher primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have no ties to the pharmaceutical industry. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
It is unlikely that any voluminous gas you are seeing is from these foods. The effect would happen much sooner.Odiforerous gases usually come from foods that contain sulfur. I don't think there is much or any of that in lettuce. It is possible for these to linger since they only a tiny volume is needed for the odor. Depending on the kind of lettuce there may be some other compound that is metabolised into an odoriferous gas on its own, however.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
It is unlikely that any voluminous gas you are seeing is from these foods. The effect would happen much sooner.Odiforerous gases usually come from foods that contain sulfur. I don't think there is much or any of that in lettuce. It is possible for these to linger since they only a tiny volume is needed for the odor. Depending on the kind of lettuce there may be some other compound that is metabolised into an odoriferous gas on its own, however.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Flux/KMottus,What foods are the worst culprits with odors then? I am now quite frustrated as I thought I had figured out a trigger. The gas starts pretty soon, but the awful smelly occurs the next day. Does this truly mean it is not the salad?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Flux/KMottus,What foods are the worst culprits with odors then? I am now quite frustrated as I thought I had figured out a trigger. The gas starts pretty soon, but the awful smelly occurs the next day. Does this truly mean it is not the salad?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually with smell the problem tends to be proteins as they tend to have sulfur in the amino acids and sulfur-reducing bacteria make most of the smelly gases. No sulfur to eat, no smell to make.Eggs are often reported as problematic. Sometimes chicken. Onions, spices and garlic can sometimes add odors.I know in pigs some of the odorous compounds in the poop are break down products of fatty acids, so some fats could be problematic as well.K.------------------I am a scientific researcher primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have no ties to the pharmaceutical industry. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually with smell the problem tends to be proteins as they tend to have sulfur in the amino acids and sulfur-reducing bacteria make most of the smelly gases. No sulfur to eat, no smell to make.Eggs are often reported as problematic. Sometimes chicken. Onions, spices and garlic can sometimes add odors.I know in pigs some of the odorous compounds in the poop are break down products of fatty acids, so some fats could be problematic as well.K.------------------I am a scientific researcher primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have no ties to the pharmaceutical industry. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
GasMakers should find this cookbook link illustrative of what kinds of foods are the worst at generating gas. It is a downloadable book that contains the most gassy recipes compiled by the members of an online community which is truly dedicated to the subject of flatulence. This cookbook is probably more useful than a list, for example, of cruciferous vegetables, as a guidepost of the kinds of things to AVOID if one wants to keep from encouraging the production of noxious effluvia: http://www.farts.com/shopping/download.htm A truly odd community producing truly odd material which is accidentally helpful to those who strive to AVOID gas as opposed to GENERTING it.Eat well. Think Well. Be well. Smell Well.MNL_____________ www.leapallergy.com [This message has been edited by Mike NoLomotil (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
GasMakers should find this cookbook link illustrative of what kinds of foods are the worst at generating gas. It is a downloadable book that contains the most gassy recipes compiled by the members of an online community which is truly dedicated to the subject of flatulence. This cookbook is probably more useful than a list, for example, of cruciferous vegetables, as a guidepost of the kinds of things to AVOID if one wants to keep from encouraging the production of noxious effluvia: http://www.farts.com/shopping/download.htm A truly odd community producing truly odd material which is accidentally helpful to those who strive to AVOID gas as opposed to GENERTING it.Eat well. Think Well. Be well. Smell Well.MNL_____________ www.leapallergy.com [This message has been edited by Mike NoLomotil (edited 09-07-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.