Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does taking fibre (pysillium) regularly cause any problems if taking Spasmonal (Alverine citrate - 120mg 3 times a day)?I would be grateful to know. I am just thinking along the lines of Spasmonal slows the smoothe muscle does that affect the fact you are packing in all that fibre - hopefully not, should I stop one if taking the other. The Doctor has suggested that spasmonal may help with dyspeptic symptoms as they may be caused by spasms. I prefer Immodium but it doesn't help when I get the feelings in my upper body so willing to give spasmonal (alverine Citrate) a try.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Spasmonal is actually sold in a formulation that includes fiber!
quote:I prefer Immodiu
Actually this works in part by causing spasms.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
RACHEL:I think we have talked before but there are so many people I cannot remember your "case". I would not want to comment, beyind what FLUX has pointed out, until I would know more about your symptoms and why you are using these items.If you can take a few minutes please tell us about your symptoms, and your history, and diagnostic workup so we can respond more reliably to the exact question.I will check back tomorrow.MNL

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Actually this works in part by causing spasms.
Imodium (note only 2 m�s
treats diarrhea by increasing water absorption in the colon and spasming the colon to put the brakes on things things moving forward.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah we've talked loads - I'm a bit blonde remember? will try not to bore - basically D. find fibre supplements are all round helpful take according to instructions morning and night (can't envisage not taking them ever, if I try to reduce things deteriorate) Just really checking that when taking things like alverine citrate (which I may not take much as I am sure it makes me feel worse) or Immodium (the panacea to all ills) just want to check no problem taking in the same day or even part of day as fibre supplements. I think I have asked this re immodium and you said no reason why it should cause a problem but just double checking re alverine citrate. Only asking in case the fibre supplements being slowed by a smoothe muscle relaxant is a problem, I presume there shouldn't be or the same would apply to food? Just I know that supplements often provide a greater amount of fibre than normal eating would provide. No point asking doctors or pharmacists in the UK as most are confused that I am taking fibre supplements when I don't have C. The knowledge on IBS in the UK is sparse.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry symptoms (stop reading once you remember me - feel like I am boring)Treat first day of period as day 1. On day 12 start to get growling, 'gassy' furios cramping stomach, D. last for about five days, goes away, returns a few days before period bad stomach returns with D. Can't seem to tolerate eggs (although may have eased on eggs) dairy, cooked tomatoes onions spices - although strangely Southern Comfort fine.going on over a year, first thought it was hormonal till last year went into overdrive (needing bm's six times in an hour at one stage) No nasties in bm (i.e. blood)Doctor uninterested, reluctantly tested recently for H.Pylori (blood), with dispeptic symptoms worsening finally will arrange for Gall bladder scan and Barium enema but constantly says will be a waste of time as it is IBS.Remember me now? Trying to keep this brief as I have bored everyone with symptoms so many times just would like to know about the fibre thing. Only cos on a bad day you know how it is you take everything in hope for relief.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Yes. Cyclic-d episodes with extraintestinal symptoms as well. Been there done that gopt alllll the Rx and invsive exams and drugs and useelss dietary advice for 30+ years to prove it. No regimen could break the cycle for me until I isolated what in my diet were the ingested foods or chemicals which provoked this cycle in relation to my dietary patterns.If you don't have this book, you might want tor ead it as it can help explain some of the posible reasons your body behaves like that."FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICTION AND TREATMENT", Professor Jonathan Brostoff , M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and Environmental Medicine, Kings' College, Londonhttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...r=2-1/102-64875 08-3420903[/URL]and you might want to chat some of the other folks over on the DIET BOARD who also lived through what you are living through:DIET AND NUTRITION BULLETIN BOARD http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/u...=4&DaysPrune=30 In the meantime, as regards the specific question, experimentation like this has been the rule of life for persons with the symptoms since the first victim doubled-over and uttered "what the hell is that?".I this case I personally cannot see any reason not to experiment as you have suggested...since what aggrvates one patient may sooth another, and I see no clear contraindication which would make me implore you to put on the brakes.Happy Boom Boom Day...Uh Oh Sorry. You are a Redcoat! OOPS. Uh, when you get that video of THE PATRIOT I sent you please disregard it
. Sorry. Ya'll are probably a little peeved when we get all excited like this. Nothing personal mind you....water under the bridge, wot?MNL

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't worry - we don't seem to study history as well as the yanks and most Brits would have to really think long and hard about what happened on July 4th and then wouldn't really care. I have lots of American friends so I have joined July 4th celebrations with them and found them to be very apologetic - til I really thought I didn't know what they were on about.Yes got the book ages ago on your recommendation, definitely have found some food problems, trouble is I live to eat and almost everything I like is out. Onions, cooked tomatoes, eggs, dairy, red wine, see fish shell fish - what is there left? Even avoiding foods still cyclical just to a lesser or greater degree according to what I eat -never gone totally though unless I get given antibiotics for around 14 days due to another infection.Fibre supplements have made such a difference just wanted to check no reason to be wary of taking things together.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
RACHEL: ________________________________"I have joined July 4th celebrations with them and found them to be very apologetic" _________________________________You should join MY friends for July 4th celebration…many of them get apoplectic
I would like to remark that each time I visited Britain, especially the people I met in Southampton, when a Brit realized I was an American (which from my clothing and bearing would take them about 3 seconds after I got within 200 yards of them) everyone was very cordial and very interested in our country, almost eager to show they knew something about America. Despite the less than balmy weather (remember I dwell in a subtropical climate) every visit ranks among the most memorable travels of my life. It was kind of weird to stand in the very gate at the very dock the Pilgrims debarked through when their boat sailed them away to these shores. The UK is a country that helps give an American perspective if we think about it: about how much history there is that goes before even our very existence, and how miniscule our time on this earth has been, both as nation, as a people and as individuals. Quite humbling actually.Each American shoule be required to go walk through that gate just once....but do it quickly before they close it at botnh ends and pour the boiling oil in on ya'!
Whoa that must have been a "brutal" defense strategy! _________________________________"I live to eat and almost everything I like is out." __________________________________Sadly this is how it so often is…otherwise of course we would not be having symptoms if it was kohlrabi we were reactive to and we never eat kohlrabis
Have you eliminated these foods based on oral challenge reactions or on the basis of "probabilities charts"? ________________________"no reason to be wary of taking things together." ___________________________Understood, while there are some things to be aware of, like grapefruit and some drugs, or mineral oil blocking vitamin uptake, I don't know of anything offhand untoward about the combo you mentioned. If I missed it someone will correct me.Be well!MNL

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
See ashamedly I didn't even know it was Southampton docks and I have to confer that no American would know so little. Of course my excuse is that so many ships.....I (having been thru everyone being fascinated by US with my American friends) am afraid to say it is mostly a fascination with the culture, the shopping, goods we can't get, fast food, Off road cars instead of the really interesting things (which to me are the varied fauna and flora). Also as a damp nation (and the weather is particularly appalling this summer - oh well it is only July)we are mesmorised by the outdoor life that a temperate climate gives. Even though really we realise not everyone lives in California the films imply otherwise and make it look wonderful, the beach after work, barbacues,surfing, big chunky cars romantic walks by the Bouganvillia and so on. I have been to Florida a lot and have frequently had bad weather but of course if you only ever go once a year and have two glorious weeks (and much of your weather is glorious) it just seems like heaven. I know, I know there are states where the weather is rotten too but we rarely see that in films.Did I mention the weather here is really **** at the moment?

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
LOLDon't feel like The Lone Ranger...call some Texans today. I actually saw a video of an entire house floating down the street yesterday!
Ain't that pretty at all!Your comments reminded me of standing in the snow on a train station Platform somewhere in N. London nervously fighting the overwhelming need for a loo, the stations watercloset being UNDER REPAIR, praying fervently that the train arrive. There was (turned out to be) this OTHER American (looked like a student or a vagaobond with all his worldly goods in several large heavy duffel bags)dragging them up the steps one by one to the platform, there being no elevator in sight.As he reached the top and then dragged himself and his cargo over....he looks up at me, sad eyes in the snow, and mutters "England is just so....OLD!".
MNL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts