Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a colonoscopy today, finally after suffering with IBS for over 8 years...anyways, I was told they couldn't go far in my colon because most of it was twisted like a pretzel. Obviously, this is why I've been in pain for a long time...does anyone else have this problem or know someone who does? I'm scared...I'm only 20 years old and from what my doctor says, the only options I have are to try to ignore it or have surgery to remove part of my colon...I'm so tired of being in pain and I don't know what to do or who to turn too....I also have IC (Interstitial Cystitis), which is a painful bladder disease....I just feel like I am worn out and I can't live a normal life....and now this...and I don't even know what this whole 'twisted colon' thing really means...Someone give me some help or answers...I'm so lost...Brigette

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The technical name is "redundant" colon. I don't know how much this contributes as some people have anatomy like that with no symptoms at all. It can be associated with constipation as there is just more surface for water to be absorbed and longer for the stool to travel.It might make things worse if you end up getting IBS along with it as you have more colon to be painful. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/redundant-colon/AN00239K.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I have the same thing and my colonoscopies have been no fun. The last one my dr had to manually unknot part of my colon. It was horrible. I take Zelnorm and magnesium which helps make me somewhat 'normal'.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.