Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.Today (every day really) I wish there were a pill to make my head realize that not every BM will be bad. I just got a new job, i think i will love it. Get to take one of my dogs to work with me, and the job seems pretty "do able" for me. It's in a nice relaxed office, casual, with great people. Except that every time I get myself collected to drive there, i panic when i get off the hwy... just thinking that i might have to "go" when i get there. I know that my loose stools (not really D any more, unless I really freak out) are related to my head. The feeling of being embarrassed when i come out of the bathroom after I've been in there forever and the fear that i will 'get sick' agian are scaring me back to where i was really sick. I just wish I could reverse how I think about this. It is definately worse in the am's that i have to be some where at a certain time. If I have no where to be, then I am FINE and have normal BM's. I know these are normal 'body functions' but not when you can't perdict what your gonna get when you go in there.THOUGHTS?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
glued, hypnotherapy or CBT are serious options you should consider if you haven't. They directly address this among other things.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
glued, hypnotherapy or CBT are serious options you should consider if you haven't. They directly address this among other things.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am definitely with Eric on this one. I'm good to if I'm not obligated to be some where at a specific time. My problems are mainly a.m. also. I know that most of my problems today are mind related and that is what I am working on.Good luck, and if you haven't considered hypnotherapy, you may want to......
Donna

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am definitely with Eric on this one. I'm good to if I'm not obligated to be some where at a specific time. My problems are mainly a.m. also. I know that most of my problems today are mind related and that is what I am working on.Good luck, and if you haven't considered hypnotherapy, you may want to......
Donna

·
Registered
248 Posts
glued, firstly your sign on name makes me laugh everytime I see it so thanks for that - that does seem to be one of the more effective meds for me.I posted a thread similar to yours a while ago (cant find the thread) but basically seems like its normal to 'obsess' even when we're feeling better - seems like we play what-if in our minds and seeing as there is a strong relationship between our minds and gut!! I'v had a situation where my BM were ok and I had plans to go out was so nervous and obsessesd about the car journey it was going to take 30 min to get there that just before I left got D and I have no doubt it was purely due to my nerves. Im starting Yoga and as the others suggest maybe Hypnotheraphy etc can help just to maybe 're-learn' some behaviour which has become routine for us its difficult not to analyse every BM, twinge and cough in case it means something maybe we should start learning to enjoy your lives and good fortune that we seem to have regained some control and are not housebound like others - I am also considering seeing a therapist hopefully if I discuss my fears I can learn to banish some of them - it seems sometimes when we anticipate something too much we can will it to happen why dont we try that strong mojo with positive vibes instead of focusing on what can go wrong - well done on the job sounds great!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
glued, firstly your sign on name makes me laugh everytime I see it so thanks for that - that does seem to be one of the more effective meds for me.I posted a thread similar to yours a while ago (cant find the thread) but basically seems like its normal to 'obsess' even when we're feeling better - seems like we play what-if in our minds and seeing as there is a strong relationship between our minds and gut!! I'v had a situation where my BM were ok and I had plans to go out was so nervous and obsessesd about the car journey it was going to take 30 min to get there that just before I left got D and I have no doubt it was purely due to my nerves. Im starting Yoga and as the others suggest maybe Hypnotheraphy etc can help just to maybe 're-learn' some behaviour which has become routine for us its difficult not to analyse every BM, twinge and cough in case it means something maybe we should start learning to enjoy your lives and good fortune that we seem to have regained some control and are not housebound like others - I am also considering seeing a therapist hopefully if I discuss my fears I can learn to banish some of them - it seems sometimes when we anticipate something too much we can will it to happen why dont we try that strong mojo with positive vibes instead of focusing on what can go wrong - well done on the job sounds great!!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
All the relaxation techniques are good and should be done, but HT for IBS especially and cbt have many reasons to try them and are gut directed or specific and that makes a big differene for one with them as opposed to just standard relaxation..with permission.The Effects of Hypnosis On Gastrointestinal Problems Olafur S. Palsson, Psy. D. Research Associate, UNC-CHAPEL Hill Department of Medicines Hypnosis is a treatment method, which still carries an aura of mystery,that unfortunately continues to be promoted by misrepresentations in movies and stage shows for entertainment. In reality, there is little mysterious about hypnosis anymore. It is a well-researched clinical technique which was formally accepted as a treatment method by the American Medical Association and the American psychological Association over thirty years ago. Clinical hypnosis is currently used by thousands of clinicians in the U.S. to treat both psychological and medical problems. Until recently, the possibilities of using hypnosis to treat gastrointestinal problems had received little attention. In the last 15 years, however, research has shown that hypnosis can influence gastrointestinal functioning in powerful ways, and that in particular, it is effective in helping patients with irritable bowel syndrome and to control nausea and vomiting. How Hypnosis Works: Hypnosis is a special mental state in which a person's focus of attention becomes narrow and intense like the beam of a bright flashlight in a dark room. This state is usually created with the aid of a hypnotist,who guides the person systematically to relax, focus only on one thing, and to allow things to happen by themselves. Whatever the mind focuses on while in this special mental state of hypnosis holds the entire attention. Therefore, people tend to experience things they think of, imagine or remember, more vividly and clearly than under usual circumstances. This is why people can sometimes recall things from their distant past under hypnosis even though unable to do so in the normal waking state (research has shown, however, that such hypnotically enhanced recall can be highly contaminated by the person's imagination). The narrow hyperfocus of this mental state is also why therapists using hypnosis are frequently able to help people make strong positive changes in their emotions and physical functioning. Hypnosis can work like a magnifying glass on the mind's effects on the body and emotion. Clinical hypnosis relies on suggestions, imagery, and relaxation to produce its therapeutic effects. Hypnotic suggestions are things that the hypnotist verbally suggests may happen while the person is under hypnosis. Due to the focused and receptive state of the hypnotized person, these suggestions happen almost automatically and without conscious decision or effort. If you, for example, receive the suggestion under hypnosis that your arm may be getting heavy, you will very likely feel it becoming heavy, without trying to do anything to make it happen. This "automaticity", the feeling of things happening by themselves, is by some considered the hallmark of hypnosis, and is often surprising to people experiencing hypnosis for the first time. Hypnotic imagery consists of picturing mentally events or situation or place in a way that has a desired positive physical or mental effect. For example, patients undergoing surgical or dental procedures are sometimes taught to enter a hypnotic state and go to a pleasant place in their mind. When successfully applied, the person gets completely engrossed in the vivid enjoyable imagery and is therefore happily unaware of the unpleasantness of the procedure. The hypnotic state is naturally accompanied by relaxation, and the physical relaxing effects are often deliberately strengthened further by clinicians through suggestions and relaxing imagery. Some of the benefits that come from hypnosis treatment are likely to result partly or entirely from the fact that hypnosis is a powerful relaxation method. Over decades of research and clinical experience, hypnosis has proven to have many valuable therapeutic uses. In psychotherapy, hypnotic techniques can speed the therapy process in various ways - for example by facilitating patients' self-understanding, extinguishing unfortunate habits, uncovering repressed or forgotten memories, reducing anxiety and phobias, and helping people to adopt a new and more adaptive outlook. In medicine and health psychology, hypnosis is used to reduce pain and discomfort associated with medical procedures such as childbirth, treatment of burns, and surgery where chemical anesthesia cannot be used effectively. It is also used to treat chronic pain and psychosomatic problems and counter unhealthy habits that contribute to illness. In dentistry, hypnotic analgesia is an effective needle-less alternative to topical anesthetic drugs, reduces bleeding and discomfort in oral surgery, and is used to treat teeth grinding and temporomandibular disorder. In recent years, the effects of gastrointestinal functioning and GI symptoms have been studied extensively. The Effects of Hypnosis on Gastrointestinal Functioning: The hypnotic state itself, without any particular suggestions, seems to slow down the gut, and clear-cut and specific changes in GI functioning can be induced in individuals by directing thinking or inducing specific emotional states under hypnosis. For example, one study(1) found that when healthy volunteers were hypnotized and simply instructed to relax, the orocaecal transit time (the time it takes material to pass through the GI tract from the mouth to the first part of the colon) was lengthened from 93 to 133 minutes. Another study(2) found that being in a hypnotic state decreases muscle movements in the stomach. The same study demonstrated that the emotional state of happiness, created under hypnosis, suppresses gastric muscle activity but anger and excitement increase muscle movement in the stomach . A pair of other studies(3) showed that when volunteers were guided to use imagery of eating a delicious meal while they were under hypnosis, gastric acid secretion was increased by 89%, and that acid production of the stomach could also be deliberately decreased during hypnosis using hypnotic instructions. Close to fifty published studies have reported on the therapeutic effects of hypnosis on nausea and vomiting problems related to chemotherapy, after surgery, and during pregnancy. Overall, this substantial body of literature indicates that hypnosis can be a powerful aid in controlling nausea and vomiting. Hypnosis may also be helpful in preventing gastrointestinal problems from recurring after they have been treated with medication: One study(4) of thirty patients with relapsing duodenal ulcers who had been successfully treated with a course of medication, found that only 53% of the patients who received preventive hypnosis treatment had a relapse within one year. In contrast everybody (100%) in a comparison group receiving no hypnosis relapsed in the same period of time. In 1984, researchers in Manchester in England published a study(5 )report in the journal Lancet, showing that hypnosis treatment dramatically improved the symptoms of IBS patients who had failed to benefit from other treatment. The researchers had randomly divided patients with severe IBS problems into two groups. Fifteen patients were treated with seven hypnosis sessions. Fifteen comparison patients were treated with seven sessions of psychotherapy, and those patients also received placebo pills (pills with no medically active ingredients) which they were told were a new research medication for IBS symptoms. Every patient in the hypnosis group improved, and that group showed substantial improvement in all central symptoms of IBS. The control group showed only very modest improvement in symptoms. Partly due to these dramatic results with treatment-refractory patients, a dozen other studies have followed, including three U.S. studies. The general conclusions from most of these studies are that hypnosis seems to improve the symptoms of 80% or more of all treated patients who have well-defined "classic" IBS problems, especially if they do not have complicating factors such as psychiatric disorders. The improvement is in many cases maintained at least for a year after the end of treatment. What is particularly remarkable is that this high rate of positive treatment response is seen even in studies where the participating patients all have failed to improve from regular medical care. The dramatic response of IBS patients to hypnosis treatment raises the question of exactly how this kind of treatment influences the symptoms in such a beneficial way. Four studies to date, two in England and two in the U.S., have tried to discover how hypnosis treatment affects the body of IBS patients. Since it is well known that many people with IBS have unusual pain sensitivity in their intestines, which is thought to be related to the clinical pain they experience, much of the focus of these studies has been on assessing the impact of this kind of treatment on intestinal pain thresholds. The two English studies both measured intestinal pain sensitivity with balloon inflation tests. The second study also measured muscle tone, to see if hypnosis relaxes the smooth muscles of the GI tract. No overall changes in pain sensitivity were detected, and gut muscle tension was also unchanged after treatment (except a subgroup of unusually pain-sensitive patients had lessened pain sensitivity in the second study(7). . In 1995-1996, during my post-doctoral fellowship in the Division of Digestive Diseases and Nutrition at UNC-Chapel Hill, we conducted the first U.S. study(8) on hypnosis for IBS under the direction of Dr. Whitehead. We evaluated the effects of a highly standardized treatment protocol, delivered verbatim following written scripts, on rectal pain thresholds and muscle tone. Seventeen out of the 18 patients we treated with hypnosis showed significant improvement in their clinical symptoms. However, we found, like the English researchers, that gut pain thresholds and muscle tension were unchanged after treatment. In a second study(9,) which I conducted with co-investigators at the Eastern Virginia Medical School, we used the same treatment protocol but this time measured autonomic nervous system functioning and blood levels of a gut hormone called vasoactive intestinal peptide. These are regulators of GI functioning in the human body, and the aim was to see if they would change due to treatment. Again, we found no changes in our physical measures after treatment (with the exception of reduction in sweat gland reactivity) even though 21 out of 24 treated patients were clinically improved. It should be noted, though, that in both our studies, we found clear improvement in the psychological well-being of our patients after treatment. In summary, it is clear from our work and other research that hypnosis treatment substantially improves all the central symptoms of IBS in the majority of patients who receive such treatment (see the effects of our two studies on clinical symptoms in the Figure). What happens in the body of these patients to cause such improvement, however, remains a mystery. Future prospects: In light of the many studies which have shown hypnosis treatment to be effective for such problems as IBS and nausea and vomiting, the question may be raised why this kind of treatment is not more widely available or generally offered to patients with such GI problems. One limitation is the fact that not everybody is equally hypnotizable. Research has consistently shown that at least 15% of people are practically non-hypnotizable, and even those who are able to enter a hypnotic state vary greatly in how well they respond. Interestingly, the ability to be hypnotized is a stable mental trait. In other word, if you are highly hypnotizable now, you will most likely be so also in thirty years. Fortunately, the majority of people are sufficiently hypnotizable to have a potential for enjoying at least some of the medical and psychological benefits of clinical hypnosis. Furthermore, the idea of being hypnotized does not agree with all people. Even individuals who are sufficiently hypnotizable, may not like the idea of "letting go", may have difficulty trusting a therapist to guide them in hypnosis, or may have other concerns about the hypnosis experience. Fortunately, other forms of psychological treatment for gastrointestinal problems - in the case of IBS especially cognitive-behavioral therapy -- have also been found to be effective and are good alternatives. Finally, an obstacle which has barred many patients from receiving help for gastrointestinal disorders with hypnosis is the fact that in the U.S. the technique is more commonly used by psychologists and other mental health professionals than by physicians. Many mental health professionals who use hypnosis are not accustomed to treating gastrointestinal disorders, and therefore reluctant to take on treatment of such problems. As the reliably beneficial effects of hypnosis on gastrointestinal functioning become better known both to health professionals and the general public, this benign and comfortable form of treatment will hopefully become a more popular treatment option for GI patients - especially for those who have not received much relief from standard medical management. As far as IBS is concerned, we have been making an effort in the last two years to encourage clinicians across the country who have adequate training in hypnosis to provide such treatment for IBS. We have done this by providing them, free of charge, with the complete standardized treatment protocol which has proven effective in our research. To date, more than eighty licensed health professionals, practicing in almost all states, are started using our protocol, making it a little bit easier for patients in many geographical locations to receive help with hypnosis. References 1. Beaugerie, L., Burger A.J, Cadranel J.F, Lamy, P., Gendre J.P., & Le Quintrec, F. (1991). Modulation of orocaecal transit time by hypnosis. Gut, 32, 393-394. 2. Whorwell PJ; Houghton LA; Taylor EE; Maxton DG. Physiological effects of emotion: assessment via hypnosis. (1992). Lancet, 340, 69-72 3. Klein K.B., & Spiegel, D. (1989). Modulation of gastric acid secretion by hypnosis. Gastroenterology, 96, 1383-1387. 4. Colgan, S. M. , Faragher, E. B. , & Whorwell, P. J. (1988). Controlled Trial of Hypnotherapy in Relapse Prevention of Duodenal Ulceration. The Lancet, 1(8598), 1299-300. 5. Whorwell, P.J., Prior, A., & Faragher, E.B. (1984). Controlled trial of hypnotherapy in the treatment of severe refractory irritable bowel syndrome. Lancet, 2, 1232-1234. 6. Prior A., Colgan, S.M., Whorwell P.J. (1990). Changes in rectal sensitivity after hypnotherapy in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Gut, 31, 896-898. 7. Houghton, L.A., Larder, S., Lee, R., Gonsalkorale, W.M., Whelan, V, Randles, J., Cooper, P., Cruikshanks, P., Miller, V., & Whorwell, P.J. (1999) Gut focused hypnotherapy normalises rectal hypersensitivity in patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Gastroenterology,116: A1009. 8. Palsson, O.S., Burnett, C.K., Meyer, K., and Whitehead, W.E. (1997). Hypnosis treatment for irritable bowel syndrome. Effects on symptoms, pain threshold and muscle tone. Gastroenterology, 112, A803. 9.Palsson, O.S., Turner, M.J., & Johnson, D.A. (2000). Hypnotherapy for irritable bowel syndrome: Symptom improvement and autonomic nervous system effects. Gastroenterology, 118,(4) A174. The writer made a slight mistake in this webmd article calling IBS ibd, but its good to read. http://my.webmd.com/content/article/1728.87469 This is a very good article http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/mindbodygu...AETVTWCYSYZSFEQ

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
All the relaxation techniques are good and should be done, but HT for IBS especially and cbt have many reasons to try them and are gut directed or specific and that makes a big differene for one with them as opposed to just standard relaxation..with permission.The Effects of Hypnosis On Gastrointestinal Problems Olafur S. Palsson, Psy. D. Research Associate, UNC-CHAPEL Hill Department of Medicines Hypnosis is a treatment method, which still carries an aura of mystery,that unfortunately continues to be promoted by misrepresentations in movies and stage shows for entertainment. In reality, there is little mysterious about hypnosis anymore. It is a well-researched clinical technique which was formally accepted as a treatment method by the American Medical Association and the American psychological Association over thirty years ago. Clinical hypnosis is currently used by thousands of clinicians in the U.S. to treat both psychological and medical problems. Until recently, the possibilities of using hypnosis to treat gastrointestinal problems had received little attention. In the last 15 years, however, research has shown that hypnosis can influence gastrointestinal functioning in powerful ways, and that in particular, it is effective in helping patients with irritable bowel syndrome and to control nausea and vomiting. How Hypnosis Works: Hypnosis is a special mental state in which a person's focus of attention becomes narrow and intense like the beam of a bright flashlight in a dark room. This state is usually created with the aid of a hypnotist,who guides the person systematically to relax, focus only on one thing, and to allow things to happen by themselves. Whatever the mind focuses on while in this special mental state of hypnosis holds the entire attention. Therefore, people tend to experience things they think of, imagine or remember, more vividly and clearly than under usual circumstances. This is why people can sometimes recall things from their distant past under hypnosis even though unable to do so in the normal waking state (research has shown, however, that such hypnotically enhanced recall can be highly contaminated by the person's imagination). The narrow hyperfocus of this mental state is also why therapists using hypnosis are frequently able to help people make strong positive changes in their emotions and physical functioning. Hypnosis can work like a magnifying glass on the mind's effects on the body and emotion. Clinical hypnosis relies on suggestions, imagery, and relaxation to produce its therapeutic effects. Hypnotic suggestions are things that the hypnotist verbally suggests may happen while the person is under hypnosis. Due to the focused and receptive state of the hypnotized person, these suggestions happen almost automatically and without conscious decision or effort. If you, for example, receive the suggestion under hypnosis that your arm may be getting heavy, you will very likely feel it becoming heavy, without trying to do anything to make it happen. This "automaticity", the feeling of things happening by themselves, is by some considered the hallmark of hypnosis, and is often surprising to people experiencing hypnosis for the first time. Hypnotic imagery consists of picturing mentally events or situation or place in a way that has a desired positive physical or mental effect. For example, patients undergoing surgical or dental procedures are sometimes taught to enter a hypnotic state and go to a pleasant place in their mind. When successfully applied, the person gets completely engrossed in the vivid enjoyable imagery and is therefore happily unaware of the unpleasantness of the procedure. The hypnotic state is naturally accompanied by relaxation, and the physical relaxing effects are often deliberately strengthened further by clinicians through suggestions and relaxing imagery. Some of the benefits that come from hypnosis treatment are likely to result partly or entirely from the fact that hypnosis is a powerful relaxation method. Over decades of research and clinical experience, hypnosis has proven to have many valuable therapeutic uses. In psychotherapy, hypnotic techniques can speed the therapy process in various ways - for example by facilitating patients' self-understanding, extinguishing unfortunate habits, uncovering repressed or forgotten memories, reducing anxiety and phobias, and helping people to adopt a new and more adaptive outlook. In medicine and health psychology, hypnosis is used to reduce pain and discomfort associated with medical procedures such as childbirth, treatment of burns, and surgery where chemical anesthesia cannot be used effectively. It is also used to treat chronic pain and psychosomatic problems and counter unhealthy habits that contribute to illness. In dentistry, hypnotic analgesia is an effective needle-less alternative to topical anesthetic drugs, reduces bleeding and discomfort in oral surgery, and is used to treat teeth grinding and temporomandibular disorder. In recent years, the effects of gastrointestinal functioning and GI symptoms have been studied extensively. The Effects of Hypnosis on Gastrointestinal Functioning: The hypnotic state itself, without any particular suggestions, seems to slow down the gut, and clear-cut and specific changes in GI functioning can be induced in individuals by directing thinking or inducing specific emotional states under hypnosis. For example, one study(1) found that when healthy volunteers were hypnotized and simply instructed to relax, the orocaecal transit time (the time it takes material to pass through the GI tract from the mouth to the first part of the colon) was lengthened from 93 to 133 minutes. Another study(2) found that being in a hypnotic state decreases muscle movements in the stomach. The same study demonstrated that the emotional state of happiness, created under hypnosis, suppresses gastric muscle activity but anger and excitement increase muscle movement in the stomach . A pair of other studies(3) showed that when volunteers were guided to use imagery of eating a delicious meal while they were under hypnosis, gastric acid secretion was increased by 89%, and that acid production of the stomach could also be deliberately decreased during hypnosis using hypnotic instructions. Close to fifty published studies have reported on the therapeutic effects of hypnosis on nausea and vomiting problems related to chemotherapy, after surgery, and during pregnancy. Overall, this substantial body of literature indicates that hypnosis can be a powerful aid in controlling nausea and vomiting. Hypnosis may also be helpful in preventing gastrointestinal problems from recurring after they have been treated with medication: One study(4) of thirty patients with relapsing duodenal ulcers who had been successfully treated with a course of medication, found that only 53% of the patients who received preventive hypnosis treatment had a relapse within one year. In contrast everybody (100%) in a comparison group receiving no hypnosis relapsed in the same period of time. In 1984, researchers in Manchester in England published a study(5 )report in the journal Lancet, showing that hypnosis treatment dramatically improved the symptoms of IBS patients who had failed to benefit from other treatment. The researchers had randomly divided patients with severe IBS problems into two groups. Fifteen patients were treated with seven hypnosis sessions. Fifteen comparison patients were treated with seven sessions of psychotherapy, and those patients also received placebo pills (pills with no medically active ingredients) which they were told were a new research medication for IBS symptoms. Every patient in the hypnosis group improved, and that group showed substantial improvement in all central symptoms of IBS. The control group showed only very modest improvement in symptoms. Partly due to these dramatic results with treatment-refractory patients, a dozen other studies have followed, including three U.S. studies. The general conclusions from most of these studies are that hypnosis seems to improve the symptoms of 80% or more of all treated patients who have well-defined "classic" IBS problems, especially if they do not have complicating factors such as psychiatric disorders. The improvement is in many cases maintained at least for a year after the end of treatment. What is particularly remarkable is that this high rate of positive treatment response is seen even in studies where the participating patients all have failed to improve from regular medical care. The dramatic response of IBS patients to hypnosis treatment raises the question of exactly how this kind of treatment influences the symptoms in such a beneficial way. Four studies to date, two in England and two in the U.S., have tried to discover how hypnosis treatment affects the body of IBS patients. Since it is well known that many people with IBS have unusual pain sensitivity in their intestines, which is thought to be related to the clinical pain they experience, much of the focus of these studies has been on assessing the impact of this kind of treatment on intestinal pain thresholds. The two English studies both measured intestinal pain sensitivity with balloon inflation tests. The second study also measured muscle tone, to see if hypnosis relaxes the smooth muscles of the GI tract. No overall changes in pain sensitivity were detected, and gut muscle tension was also unchanged after treatment (except a subgroup of unusually pain-sensitive patients had lessened pain sensitivity in the second study(7). . In 1995-1996, during my post-doctoral fellowship in the Division of Digestive Diseases and Nutrition at UNC-Chapel Hill, we conducted the first U.S. study(8) on hypnosis for IBS under the direction of Dr. Whitehead. We evaluated the effects of a highly standardized treatment protocol, delivered verbatim following written scripts, on rectal pain thresholds and muscle tone. Seventeen out of the 18 patients we treated with hypnosis showed significant improvement in their clinical symptoms. However, we found, like the English researchers, that gut pain thresholds and muscle tension were unchanged after treatment. In a second study(9,) which I conducted with co-investigators at the Eastern Virginia Medical School, we used the same treatment protocol but this time measured autonomic nervous system functioning and blood levels of a gut hormone called vasoactive intestinal peptide. These are regulators of GI functioning in the human body, and the aim was to see if they would change due to treatment. Again, we found no changes in our physical measures after treatment (with the exception of reduction in sweat gland reactivity) even though 21 out of 24 treated patients were clinically improved. It should be noted, though, that in both our studies, we found clear improvement in the psychological well-being of our patients after treatment. In summary, it is clear from our work and other research that hypnosis treatment substantially improves all the central symptoms of IBS in the majority of patients who receive such treatment (see the effects of our two studies on clinical symptoms in the Figure). What happens in the body of these patients to cause such improvement, however, remains a mystery. Future prospects: In light of the many studies which have shown hypnosis treatment to be effective for such problems as IBS and nausea and vomiting, the question may be raised why this kind of treatment is not more widely available or generally offered to patients with such GI problems. One limitation is the fact that not everybody is equally hypnotizable. Research has consistently shown that at least 15% of people are practically non-hypnotizable, and even those who are able to enter a hypnotic state vary greatly in how well they respond. Interestingly, the ability to be hypnotized is a stable mental trait. In other word, if you are highly hypnotizable now, you will most likely be so also in thirty years. Fortunately, the majority of people are sufficiently hypnotizable to have a potential for enjoying at least some of the medical and psychological benefits of clinical hypnosis. Furthermore, the idea of being hypnotized does not agree with all people. Even individuals who are sufficiently hypnotizable, may not like the idea of "letting go", may have difficulty trusting a therapist to guide them in hypnosis, or may have other concerns about the hypnosis experience. Fortunately, other forms of psychological treatment for gastrointestinal problems - in the case of IBS especially cognitive-behavioral therapy -- have also been found to be effective and are good alternatives. Finally, an obstacle which has barred many patients from receiving help for gastrointestinal disorders with hypnosis is the fact that in the U.S. the technique is more commonly used by psychologists and other mental health professionals than by physicians. Many mental health professionals who use hypnosis are not accustomed to treating gastrointestinal disorders, and therefore reluctant to take on treatment of such problems. As the reliably beneficial effects of hypnosis on gastrointestinal functioning become better known both to health professionals and the general public, this benign and comfortable form of treatment will hopefully become a more popular treatment option for GI patients - especially for those who have not received much relief from standard medical management. As far as IBS is concerned, we have been making an effort in the last two years to encourage clinicians across the country who have adequate training in hypnosis to provide such treatment for IBS. We have done this by providing them, free of charge, with the complete standardized treatment protocol which has proven effective in our research. To date, more than eighty licensed health professionals, practicing in almost all states, are started using our protocol, making it a little bit easier for patients in many geographical locations to receive help with hypnosis. References 1. Beaugerie, L., Burger A.J, Cadranel J.F, Lamy, P., Gendre J.P., & Le Quintrec, F. (1991). Modulation of orocaecal transit time by hypnosis. Gut, 32, 393-394. 2. Whorwell PJ; Houghton LA; Taylor EE; Maxton DG. Physiological effects of emotion: assessment via hypnosis. (1992). Lancet, 340, 69-72 3. Klein K.B., & Spiegel, D. (1989). Modulation of gastric acid secretion by hypnosis. Gastroenterology, 96, 1383-1387. 4. Colgan, S. M. , Faragher, E. B. , & Whorwell, P. J. (1988). Controlled Trial of Hypnotherapy in Relapse Prevention of Duodenal Ulceration. The Lancet, 1(8598), 1299-300. 5. Whorwell, P.J., Prior, A., & Faragher, E.B. (1984). Controlled trial of hypnotherapy in the treatment of severe refractory irritable bowel syndrome. Lancet, 2, 1232-1234. 6. Prior A., Colgan, S.M., Whorwell P.J. (1990). Changes in rectal sensitivity after hypnotherapy in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Gut, 31, 896-898. 7. Houghton, L.A., Larder, S., Lee, R., Gonsalkorale, W.M., Whelan, V, Randles, J., Cooper, P., Cruikshanks, P., Miller, V., & Whorwell, P.J. (1999) Gut focused hypnotherapy normalises rectal hypersensitivity in patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Gastroenterology,116: A1009. 8. Palsson, O.S., Burnett, C.K., Meyer, K., and Whitehead, W.E. (1997). Hypnosis treatment for irritable bowel syndrome. Effects on symptoms, pain threshold and muscle tone. Gastroenterology, 112, A803. 9.Palsson, O.S., Turner, M.J., & Johnson, D.A. (2000). Hypnotherapy for irritable bowel syndrome: Symptom improvement and autonomic nervous system effects. Gastroenterology, 118,(4) A174. The writer made a slight mistake in this webmd article calling IBS ibd, but its good to read. http://my.webmd.com/content/article/1728.87469 This is a very good article http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/mindbodygu...AETVTWCYSYZSFEQ

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Lots of people here talk about Mike's tapes. I am considering it but am a bit... unsure. Can some one who uses them explain what the deal is? You just listen to them when ever you want, following the listening steps, and then you feel better... I know that sounds harsh but i'm so unsure. Any one out there had great luck with them?Thanks again :love:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Lots of people here talk about Mike's tapes. I am considering it but am a bit... unsure. Can some one who uses them explain what the deal is? You just listen to them when ever you want, following the listening steps, and then you feel better... I know that sounds harsh but i'm so unsure. Any one out there had great luck with them?Thanks again :love:

·
Registered
221 Posts
glued,I posted up above. We are all skeptical about spending money on products that claim to do this, that and the other. IBS is a brain, gut connection. I know, for myself, that hypnotherapy is helping me get my anxiety issues under control, which in turn, helps my IBS symptoms. I have been using Mike's tapes for months. They have helped me immensely. Some people on the board say they don't seem to do much for them, others feel the way I do. I believe if you have real anxiety issues with your IBS, your money will be well spent purchasing these tapes......Everything takes time, the tapes don't work overnite. They are easy to listen to, and you can listen when you go to bed if you like. This is my experience.Good luck with whatever you decide......
Donna

·
Registered
221 Posts
glued,I posted up above. We are all skeptical about spending money on products that claim to do this, that and the other. IBS is a brain, gut connection. I know, for myself, that hypnotherapy is helping me get my anxiety issues under control, which in turn, helps my IBS symptoms. I have been using Mike's tapes for months. They have helped me immensely. Some people on the board say they don't seem to do much for them, others feel the way I do. I believe if you have real anxiety issues with your IBS, your money will be well spent purchasing these tapes......Everything takes time, the tapes don't work overnite. They are easy to listen to, and you can listen when you go to bed if you like. This is my experience.Good luck with whatever you decide......
Donna

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Glued, its understandable to be skeptical as there are not many effective treatments for IBS. Hypnotherapy has been shown to be effective in the majority of people who do it. It has been very successful with people on the bb here. It has a higher statistal percentage of most any treatment you try. In the 80 to 90 percent range. Most people think they may not be able to be hypnotized, but the fact is most people can be. As for how it works they are not completely sure although they have some good clues and it has been research now for over 15 years. There have been a few that have not had as much success but its a very few especially compaared to other treatments. Anotherr aspect of it is it continuees to work after the treatment. Only CBT and HT have been shown to do this as far as I know.I can answer any questions you may have but am posting a lot of information first for you including people's comments from the bb here.This isn't everybody either.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Glued, its understandable to be skeptical as there are not many effective treatments for IBS. Hypnotherapy has been shown to be effective in the majority of people who do it. It has been very successful with people on the bb here. It has a higher statistal percentage of most any treatment you try. In the 80 to 90 percent range. Most people think they may not be able to be hypnotized, but the fact is most people can be. As for how it works they are not completely sure although they have some good clues and it has been research now for over 15 years. There have been a few that have not had as much success but its a very few especially compaared to other treatments. Anotherr aspect of it is it continuees to work after the treatment. Only CBT and HT have been shown to do this as far as I know.I can answer any questions you may have but am posting a lot of information first for you including people's comments from the bb here.This isn't everybody either.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Comments: There maybe a few doubles as people continued there comments.eric and Dr. Bolen,This is a wonderful forum and I thank you for it....Mike 001,Your tapes have made a tremendous difference in helping me with my IBS problems----I am a firm believer in them....Thanks so much.. Bettie ------------------ LET'S ALL PRAY FOR A CURE TO THIS IBS SOON! BETTIE EllenH, As a behavioral health practitioner � I�m a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in the San Francisco Bay Area � I�ve been using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Couples Therapy (when a partner is involved) to treat my IBS patients for several years now. I had been looking for resources to refer my patients to re: hypnotherapy, since I do not practice hypnotherapy myself. I had read the studies re: the benefits of hypnotherapy for IBS a few years back, but had difficulty finding hypnotherapists who knew enough about IBS. As an IBS sufferer myself since 1990 (now much improved), I was curious to see what hypnotherapy could add to the treatment options. After seeing the posts on Mikes Tapes, I decided to order them and try them myself , before recommending them to patients. I am on Day 34 now, and am thus far thoroughly impressed. Very high quality, and a real bargain for the price � one session of hypnotherapy in this area is about the equivalent of the price of the entire tape series. When I think of all the money that I (and my patients) have spent on IBS treatments over the years, the cost of the tapes seems like a drop in the bucket. I�m thinking that the combination of CBT and the tapes might be really helpful for many of my patients. Thank you Mike for developing this worthwhile resource � your expertise really shows. And thank you Eric for getting the word out � I hope that others will find them as useful as I have. EllenH I stuck with the program and finished it several months ago. I cant say enough about the tapes. My own experience was a positive one. Being new to hypnotherapy, I was open to anything that might help me cope with my IBS symptoms. I found the tapes very relaxing and looked forward to listening to Mikes soothing voice during each session. If life gets too stressful, I can still reflect on what I have learned from his tapes. I encourage anyone thinking of trying this, to do it. Be sure to realize the committment you will be getting into, though. You must stay regimented and true to yourself..the 100 days will fly by quickly...at least it did for me. It was never a chore to listen to the tapes. I truly did look forward it. Good luck to all! Michelle Hi everyone, I know I haven't been around lately, but I'm trying to be more "regular" now! Anyways, it's almost been three months since I finished the tapes and happy to report that I am still improving slightly. Don't look for a new chart in this update. I haven't been keeping close track, plus, who has the time! Also, I don't beleive the chart gave people the full story. I can best sum up my improvement like this: I am 70% better 90% of the time. More specifically, I feel about 70% better 6 days out of 7. That seventh day I may get an episode that last 3 to 4 hours or less. Interesting note here: I had a colonoscopy yesterday (routine after 3 years since my last one because of a couple of very small polyps found and a history of colon cancer in my family), did not find anything abnormal - everything was find, so thank God I won't have to go through that for another 5 or 6 years (hurray). However, during the exam, the doctor told me I was having a lot of spasms and that I had an enormous amount of trapped gas, most likely because of the spasms. I told him, I don't notice the spasms, probably because I've learned to control the discomfort and anxiety through hypnosis. Nonetheless, I definately have classic IBS, or what they used to refer to spastic colon. It seems waste and gas will get trapped in my ascending and traverse colon for exended periods of time and I beleive once a week or so, it decides enough is enough and out it must go causeing me to have those 3 to 4 hours of discomfort I mentioned above. There was some more good news in that he told me that he was the lead investigator for the upcoming clinical trials for Zelmac here in Canada, and if I wanted to participate, he would make sure I would get in since there were so many people wanting to do this trial. I then mentioned to him about this community. A little later while I was in the recovery room, he came up to me (having thought about it for a bit) and said that if there were other people here that wanted to get involved, he would be happy to speak to everyone and try give us priority status for this study Cool Huh! Eric, I'm going to contact Jeff directly about talking to my GI (Dr. Jeffery Axler), but I was wondering if you would mind if I posted a new topic in this forum for anyone who would be interested in the Zelmac trials even though this is the CBT and hypno forum? Good Health to all, Stef.Jennifer7 ,IBS-D for 11 years. I'm still on Lotronex (I'm so thankful to God) but even on that I would have "panic attacks" in stores, espe- cially the grocery store. I thought the tapes might improve that. I still have some problems shopping, but since the tapes I'm better able to cope. Sometimes I can get through without any problems. Other times I start to panic and I work through it. I couldn't work through it before. I hope to continue improving. I'm finished with the tapes, however I listen every now and then as suggested. Well, last night was day 100, I'm finally done with the program. I wish I could report "drastic" changes for the better IBS wise, I cant, but I do think that the tapes have helped me "overall" and therefore I'm hoping to see perhaps a gradual change in the days to come. I've been working with Mike and am now taking a bit of time off as he suggested. I can definately say that my IBS (which is C/D or just going alot)has seemed to be more on the C side since doing the tapes; not "normal" but a definate improvement as I am better able to function daily being C as opposed to D, so thats not a bad thing. Perhaps things will get more "normal" as time goes by. I also really appreciate everyones support and help while I have been doing the tapes. ------------------ Nancy Jane93 Woohoo... I seem to be doing a lot better..pretty much all my lapses have been stress and anxiety based and I find if I cut way back on wheat and avoid dairy apart from yogurt I feel great However avoiding them is tough..so I cheat every now and again...sometime I pay ..sometime I don't As you can probably tell I only either feel really good or really bad now. I rarely have C any more and get D when really really stressed or anxious still, but not as often. I have been really really stressed recently, but it has gotten a lot better this last week. I used to be C all the time and felt bloated and had loads of G. The G sometimes flares up, but now its more a matter of finding foods that won't give me G and being able to control the G. Since I rarely have C anymore I don't get this as often, but I still get embaraased by my own lack of control now and again In general not having C and bloating has given me loads of energy and made me feel more positive. Now if only the G would stop altogether..I wonder if that is possible? I already gave up fructose, dairy and caffeine. Now how soon can I start listening to the tapes again? I miss Mike's voice? JaneSOSI'm finally done and continue to improve, something I thought I would never say! Hopefully tommorrow I will have time to post on the success stories thread. Had a dentist appointment followed by a doctors appointment and now I'm trying to get caught up on laundry so I can pack for holidays. If I don't get cracking there will be no clean clothes to pack sickofsick BR,If you aren't sure if you should spend the money on the tapes, I can tell you it is a wise investment. I finished the tapes a month or so ago and like everyone says, I am continuing to get better and better. The stupid mind armies are still there so I still face my fears of going out to eat and things like that, but logically I know I don't have to be concerned like I used to be. By the way, I'm not associated with Mike in any way, but I do thank him from the bottom of my heart for making these tapes and himself available to help us. I feel almost normal! lol BREwink, Hi Eric and all, Well, I finished the tapes a little over a month ago, and have been doing great! Some of you may remember that before and when I started doing the tapes I had really bad D every morning accompanied with awful anxiety. The anxiety went away really soon, within a few weeks I think. I have to say that besides the tapes I also relied on natural supplements, such as probiotics, colostrum and calcium (and a bunch of others, especially in the beginning, I took about 10 different ones!). But the tapes definitely were a major "ingredient" for my improvement! I have kept improving after I finished the tapes. The last 10 days or so I've actually been struggling with constipation, and had to stop taking most of the supplements. Also having to change my diet, adding more fruits, veggies, whole wheat bread and cereal etc. Even had to take some fibercon! I finally had a normal BM again this morning. Eric, do you think it could be helpful for me to redo some of the tapes to get over the constipation now? After having D problems for so many months I can hardly believe I'm asking this. I have listened to some of the tapes a few times over the past month, although it's probably been at least 2 weeks now since the last time I listened at all. Overall though, I'm doing really great, eating everything (except really greasy and fast food, which I don't like anyway) and reaching my ideal weight (still a few pounds to add, but getting there).Take care,Edith JeanG,Hi everyone: I finished listening to Mike's tapes in March 2000. Prior to that I alternated C&D, with constipation and pain lasting 3 days at a time, and a lot of bloating. I rarely am constipated now, and only have pain around my period. Bloating is also to a minimum. I've found that the tapes have helped other areas of my life, also. I tend to hold my stress in my lower back, and now when I feel the tension in that portion I do self-hypnosis and it relaxes the muscles to the point they don't go into spasms. I'm extrememly lucky because I had only had IBS for about a year before doing these tapes, and so was able to nip it in the bud before it got worse. I listen to a tape or two once a week now just to relax. JeanGPermission from Donna to post her email. I of course told her to listen when needed. Thanks Donna. Shawn, The tapes were amazing as u suggested. I have had very few bad days of late..... I do however make a strong effort to keep stress to a minimal. That is my worst enemy!...............(I have kids so Big Time Stress is a given!) At this point, i love the voice, ("Mr.Michael's"), and the way i fall out to sleep so quick! Now.............. what can i listen to?..........I always have listened to the tapes at bedtime when the kids are asleep since that was my only option. ...............(It is the only time when i have a "Safe Environment")!.............So now that i have completed the program, what can u reccomend? Donna AZmom, This will be long, as I have had IBS D/C (D-predominant for 27 years. It's been a long road with IBS, and I want to share my struggles so you know just how far I've come using hypnotherapy. It began on the first day of school my junior year (1974) in my Modern American Literature class. During that first class, I noticed a girl get up to leave the room to go (I assumed) to the restroom. I thought "How embarassing, everyone knows where she's going." From that day on, I had to leave that first hour class to go to the restroom. At 8:20 each morning I would feel the urge to go. By 8:30-8:40 I couldn't take it anymore, and would leave the room. This is when my anxiety about my bowel patterns began. I began to worry about if I would have to go, what people thought if me, and that something must be wrong with me. The avoidance behaviors began. I tried not to do anything in the mornings, which was always the worst time. As I went through high school and college, I began starting my day later and later, until finally, during my senior year of college, I didn't start classes til 1:00 pm. I was ok later in the day, if I felt I'd been emptied out I could carry on with normal activities. As time went on, I'd have problems in other places. I always had to sit on the aisle seat of the classroom or theater, and be the driver of the car. Once I told someone driving that I had to stop, and they said "No, you're a grown-up, you can hold it." I didn't let anyone drive me anywhere again, til recently. The first Dr. I went to said it was normal to go several times a day, and not to worry about it. But I DID worry about it, all the time it seemed. So I went to a psychiatrist. It was too difficult to sit in a closed room without a panic attack. She gave me a relaxation tape, and that was it. I had two children by 1983. This was the most difficult time for me. I think a combination of being a young mother, working, going to school, trying to do what the modern woman was supposed to do, "Have it all," was too much stress. The panic attacks were horrible, and I was nearly housebound at this point. My marriage was in trouble too, just adding more stress. We started marriage counselling, which lasted only a short time. I ended up staying with the psychologist for two years, trying to get help for my fear, panic, and stomach troubles. I was diagnosed as AGOROPHOBIC. The referring psychiatrist prescribed a tricyclic antidepressant, I think it was imipramine. It was horrible, giving me the worst C/D I ever had. The shrink finally ran out of things to talk about. Let me tell you, psychotherapy does NOTHING for IBS. At this point I still didn't even know I had IBS. 1989 now, and we took a trip to England to see my husband's family. I had no idea how I would make it, and went to see a hypnotherapist. He made a tape for my panic attacks and taught me relaxation techniques. It helped the panic, but my D and urgency was still a big problem. I saw an ad in the paper for a talk by Lucinda Bassett about stress and anxiety. She could have been talking about me. I bought the stress and anxiety tape course. One of the tapes mentioned "IBS." This was the first time I'd heard the word, and finally, 17 years after my symptoms began, I knew what I had. I went to my family Dr, so excited that I had discovered IBS. He said he had always known I had IBS, and that he didn't know I needed a "name" for it. Well I DID, I thought I was crazy all these years. He prescribed BuSpar and Levsin. I hated both. Then gave me Xanax, which was a help. I mentioned hypnotherapy to him, but he said he didn't believe in it. On our 20th wedding anniversary, my husband and I went out to our favorite restaurant. I stopped at the restroom on the way out, and was in there for 30 minutes. My husband was waiting patiently. He was used to me by now. I had a horrible attack, but thought it was done. How could anyone have so much **** inside of them? But it wasn't over. On the ride home we got stuck in a traffic jam in a construction zone. Trapped, no way out. I couldn't hold it, and had my first episode of incontinence on my 20th wedding anniversary. I was horrified. My husband was understanding, telling me not to worry, I was obviously ill. It was that episode that made me look for a good Dr. I went online, found the IFFGD and this BB. The IFFGD referred me to a terrific GI, Dr. Kevin Olden at Mayo Clinic Scottsdale, and he did a full workup on me. He sent me for PT and biofeedback. He got me on the proper dosages of medications (my GP prescribed me dosages too low to be effective) and supported my use of hypnotherapy. I had good success with it previously, and thought I would try Mike's tapes, which I found on the BB. I started Mike's tapes with enthusiasm. Change was slow. I went from D to C/D to C to D and around and around. I finished the tapes and was happy with the little improvement I had, maybe 35% at that time. But it wasn't until about 3 months after completing the tapes that I really saw a BIG change. It was then that I noticed my D was gone. My BMs were normal, usually one daily, sometimes two. I can now "hold it" for hours. Sometimes, I'll drive in the car, and notice that I'm not even thinking about where the bathrooms are on the route. That always surprises me. The anxiety is greatly reduced, probably 90%. I sit in the middle of the theater sometimes. I drive with other people. I've been on two vacations, been on 8 airplanes trips, been on a boat with strangers, with no attacks. I was even relaxed and had fun. At times the old thoughts make their way in. I shoo them away once I notice them. I have had two D attacks in the past 9 months. I can live with that. I think it's been a combination of things that got me to this place. I still watch my diet, although I have added back some things that were triggers, such as salads and citrus fruits. I do use a fiber supplement. I no longer fear my anxiety which had caused me so much trouble in the past. Bottom line is, Mike's tapes have been the best thing I've done for IBS. I'm more relaxed, my world no longer centers aroung when I'll have a BM, I'm a happier person, less crabby and less depressed. I'm a better Mom and a better wife. I'm more active, and I look forward to doing things I avoided in the past. That's my story. AZFrom Lou: Jeanne, Hypnosis works for Panic Attacks that I know. I suffered terribly from debilitating panic attacks for a number of years. This was 25 years ago when nobody knew what they were or how to treat you. How did I get over them. DETERMINATION. First I found in the library the book "Hope And Help For Your Nerves" by Dr. Clarie Weeks, great book. Second bought a good relaxation tape used it at least twice a day. Last took a course in Hypnotherapy which changed my life. I learned to hypnotize myself. Jeanne I was Agorahobic (couldn't leave our home). I was a mess. That all changed with the book, the tapes and hypnosis. Hypnosis does not help in one or 2 sessions, it takes time and a top notch Hypnotherapist. I beleive in Hypnosis 100%. I can still Hypnotize myself anywhere, anytime and relax 100% in about 20 seconds. I highly recommend Hypnosis. As a side note have your had your Thyroid checked or your Hormones. These can both cause extreme Anxiety. Best of luck to you. From Tiss Clair, I am using the tapes and love them. I waited until I could feel justified spending that kind of money. I've spent alot more money on loads of stuff that didn't work. I guess I got to the point where I thought, what the heck, what have I got to lose (except 100.00-which is alot of money), but if it works, then it's cheap!! I have gotten so much better (I'm a C type)-I just can't really even tell you why or how it works. The tapes have a rather pervasive effect with me, I mean, I'm calmer during the day, sleep 100% better, have a BM everyday and overall feel less anxious. My 16 year old son LOVES Side 2 because HE is sleeping100% better-he and I negotiate which tape he can use because I'm following the program that is outlined for you. I think there are some IBS tapes that are cheaper than the 100.00 tapes, and I don't know the difference in them. Someone could probably tell you the difference. I think the other ones are about 25.00, or something like that. As for me, I intend to keep using the tapes even when I've finished the program. Some people say that time is a factor that turns them off of the tapes, but I only listen to them at night while going to sleep, so really no extra time has to be involved. Good luck. I recommend them. From LG Ugh - before I started the tapes I was constipated all the time, I suffered from almost dialy nausea that would not let up, even woth motilium (a drug designed to eliminate nausea, whatever the cause), I got a lot of bloating - to the extent that my clothes would no longer fit by mid/late afternoon, cramping pains, especially in my lower right side, lots of flatulence, and almost more importantly I felt miserable most of the time. It seeemd that there was not much else in life except was I going to be able to 'go' today and even if I did would it bring relief or would I still feel like htere should be more, would I be able ot fit into my clothes and be comfortable etc etc. After doing the tapes I now feel alot more positive, I can remeber now what a good day is and can keep this is mind when things arn't so good. Yes I still have bad days, but they arnt as bad or as frequent. The incomplete evacuation feeling is almost never there, and I very rarely feel sick any more (this is great!). the bloating is less now, and I pass less gas. I got quite dispondant when I was doing the tapes because I didnt really feel any thing was changing until about 60 -70 days, but I emailed Mike and he was good enough to reply and keep me on track. This late action is probaly the reason why I like to carry on with the tapes now, plus I cant really understand how or why the effect of 100 days would last forever wothout some revison. After 11 years of having this thing and trying most things I have read about on htese BBs (including elimination diets, wheat free, dairy free, antidepressants, homeopathy, yogs, fibre suppliments, low fibre diet, high fibre diet, linseeds, laxatives, bulking agents, stool softeners.....de da de dah) I can honestly say that Mikes tapes have been the most beneficial thing I ve done, so well worth the time and money. Ugh, keep on witht the tapes, if you find they help even a little id say when you reach 100 days go back and start them again. Keep at it. I personally dont think that iBS is entirely brain-gut, but I think it does play a large part in it, even if only as a consequence rather than a cause. GOOD LUCkFrom Julie, Taken from a thread on the discussion forum. Every time I read your posts, I think "that was me!!!" Please believe this ... when I first found this BB in summer '99 I could have written the exact same post as you, except I had been in that horrible place for years, not months. And what "did it" for me was the Hypno Tapes ... as well as helping to reduce my symtoms by around 80%, within a couple of weeks (tho I think this is an unusually quick response) I was getting out of the house, and feeling perfectly calm and relaxed in doing so. I felt mentally normal for the first time in a very long time. All the "what ifs" and the "I can't do that becauses" just disappeared as if by magic. To this day I still don't fully understand why this happened - I can get a hold of why and how the tapes work on the physical symptoms, but it's like I just woke up one morning wearing my "old" head again.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Comments: There maybe a few doubles as people continued there comments.eric and Dr. Bolen,This is a wonderful forum and I thank you for it....Mike 001,Your tapes have made a tremendous difference in helping me with my IBS problems----I am a firm believer in them....Thanks so much.. Bettie ------------------ LET'S ALL PRAY FOR A CURE TO THIS IBS SOON! BETTIE EllenH, As a behavioral health practitioner � I�m a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in the San Francisco Bay Area � I�ve been using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Couples Therapy (when a partner is involved) to treat my IBS patients for several years now. I had been looking for resources to refer my patients to re: hypnotherapy, since I do not practice hypnotherapy myself. I had read the studies re: the benefits of hypnotherapy for IBS a few years back, but had difficulty finding hypnotherapists who knew enough about IBS. As an IBS sufferer myself since 1990 (now much improved), I was curious to see what hypnotherapy could add to the treatment options. After seeing the posts on Mikes Tapes, I decided to order them and try them myself , before recommending them to patients. I am on Day 34 now, and am thus far thoroughly impressed. Very high quality, and a real bargain for the price � one session of hypnotherapy in this area is about the equivalent of the price of the entire tape series. When I think of all the money that I (and my patients) have spent on IBS treatments over the years, the cost of the tapes seems like a drop in the bucket. I�m thinking that the combination of CBT and the tapes might be really helpful for many of my patients. Thank you Mike for developing this worthwhile resource � your expertise really shows. And thank you Eric for getting the word out � I hope that others will find them as useful as I have. EllenH I stuck with the program and finished it several months ago. I cant say enough about the tapes. My own experience was a positive one. Being new to hypnotherapy, I was open to anything that might help me cope with my IBS symptoms. I found the tapes very relaxing and looked forward to listening to Mikes soothing voice during each session. If life gets too stressful, I can still reflect on what I have learned from his tapes. I encourage anyone thinking of trying this, to do it. Be sure to realize the committment you will be getting into, though. You must stay regimented and true to yourself..the 100 days will fly by quickly...at least it did for me. It was never a chore to listen to the tapes. I truly did look forward it. Good luck to all! Michelle Hi everyone, I know I haven't been around lately, but I'm trying to be more "regular" now! Anyways, it's almost been three months since I finished the tapes and happy to report that I am still improving slightly. Don't look for a new chart in this update. I haven't been keeping close track, plus, who has the time! Also, I don't beleive the chart gave people the full story. I can best sum up my improvement like this: I am 70% better 90% of the time. More specifically, I feel about 70% better 6 days out of 7. That seventh day I may get an episode that last 3 to 4 hours or less. Interesting note here: I had a colonoscopy yesterday (routine after 3 years since my last one because of a couple of very small polyps found and a history of colon cancer in my family), did not find anything abnormal - everything was find, so thank God I won't have to go through that for another 5 or 6 years (hurray). However, during the exam, the doctor told me I was having a lot of spasms and that I had an enormous amount of trapped gas, most likely because of the spasms. I told him, I don't notice the spasms, probably because I've learned to control the discomfort and anxiety through hypnosis. Nonetheless, I definately have classic IBS, or what they used to refer to spastic colon. It seems waste and gas will get trapped in my ascending and traverse colon for exended periods of time and I beleive once a week or so, it decides enough is enough and out it must go causeing me to have those 3 to 4 hours of discomfort I mentioned above. There was some more good news in that he told me that he was the lead investigator for the upcoming clinical trials for Zelmac here in Canada, and if I wanted to participate, he would make sure I would get in since there were so many people wanting to do this trial. I then mentioned to him about this community. A little later while I was in the recovery room, he came up to me (having thought about it for a bit) and said that if there were other people here that wanted to get involved, he would be happy to speak to everyone and try give us priority status for this study Cool Huh! Eric, I'm going to contact Jeff directly about talking to my GI (Dr. Jeffery Axler), but I was wondering if you would mind if I posted a new topic in this forum for anyone who would be interested in the Zelmac trials even though this is the CBT and hypno forum? Good Health to all, Stef.Jennifer7 ,IBS-D for 11 years. I'm still on Lotronex (I'm so thankful to God) but even on that I would have "panic attacks" in stores, espe- cially the grocery store. I thought the tapes might improve that. I still have some problems shopping, but since the tapes I'm better able to cope. Sometimes I can get through without any problems. Other times I start to panic and I work through it. I couldn't work through it before. I hope to continue improving. I'm finished with the tapes, however I listen every now and then as suggested. Well, last night was day 100, I'm finally done with the program. I wish I could report "drastic" changes for the better IBS wise, I cant, but I do think that the tapes have helped me "overall" and therefore I'm hoping to see perhaps a gradual change in the days to come. I've been working with Mike and am now taking a bit of time off as he suggested. I can definately say that my IBS (which is C/D or just going alot)has seemed to be more on the C side since doing the tapes; not "normal" but a definate improvement as I am better able to function daily being C as opposed to D, so thats not a bad thing. Perhaps things will get more "normal" as time goes by. I also really appreciate everyones support and help while I have been doing the tapes. ------------------ Nancy Jane93 Woohoo... I seem to be doing a lot better..pretty much all my lapses have been stress and anxiety based and I find if I cut way back on wheat and avoid dairy apart from yogurt I feel great However avoiding them is tough..so I cheat every now and again...sometime I pay ..sometime I don't As you can probably tell I only either feel really good or really bad now. I rarely have C any more and get D when really really stressed or anxious still, but not as often. I have been really really stressed recently, but it has gotten a lot better this last week. I used to be C all the time and felt bloated and had loads of G. The G sometimes flares up, but now its more a matter of finding foods that won't give me G and being able to control the G. Since I rarely have C anymore I don't get this as often, but I still get embaraased by my own lack of control now and again In general not having C and bloating has given me loads of energy and made me feel more positive. Now if only the G would stop altogether..I wonder if that is possible? I already gave up fructose, dairy and caffeine. Now how soon can I start listening to the tapes again? I miss Mike's voice? JaneSOSI'm finally done and continue to improve, something I thought I would never say! Hopefully tommorrow I will have time to post on the success stories thread. Had a dentist appointment followed by a doctors appointment and now I'm trying to get caught up on laundry so I can pack for holidays. If I don't get cracking there will be no clean clothes to pack sickofsick BR,If you aren't sure if you should spend the money on the tapes, I can tell you it is a wise investment. I finished the tapes a month or so ago and like everyone says, I am continuing to get better and better. The stupid mind armies are still there so I still face my fears of going out to eat and things like that, but logically I know I don't have to be concerned like I used to be. By the way, I'm not associated with Mike in any way, but I do thank him from the bottom of my heart for making these tapes and himself available to help us. I feel almost normal! lol BREwink, Hi Eric and all, Well, I finished the tapes a little over a month ago, and have been doing great! Some of you may remember that before and when I started doing the tapes I had really bad D every morning accompanied with awful anxiety. The anxiety went away really soon, within a few weeks I think. I have to say that besides the tapes I also relied on natural supplements, such as probiotics, colostrum and calcium (and a bunch of others, especially in the beginning, I took about 10 different ones!). But the tapes definitely were a major "ingredient" for my improvement! I have kept improving after I finished the tapes. The last 10 days or so I've actually been struggling with constipation, and had to stop taking most of the supplements. Also having to change my diet, adding more fruits, veggies, whole wheat bread and cereal etc. Even had to take some fibercon! I finally had a normal BM again this morning. Eric, do you think it could be helpful for me to redo some of the tapes to get over the constipation now? After having D problems for so many months I can hardly believe I'm asking this. I have listened to some of the tapes a few times over the past month, although it's probably been at least 2 weeks now since the last time I listened at all. Overall though, I'm doing really great, eating everything (except really greasy and fast food, which I don't like anyway) and reaching my ideal weight (still a few pounds to add, but getting there).Take care,Edith JeanG,Hi everyone: I finished listening to Mike's tapes in March 2000. Prior to that I alternated C&D, with constipation and pain lasting 3 days at a time, and a lot of bloating. I rarely am constipated now, and only have pain around my period. Bloating is also to a minimum. I've found that the tapes have helped other areas of my life, also. I tend to hold my stress in my lower back, and now when I feel the tension in that portion I do self-hypnosis and it relaxes the muscles to the point they don't go into spasms. I'm extrememly lucky because I had only had IBS for about a year before doing these tapes, and so was able to nip it in the bud before it got worse. I listen to a tape or two once a week now just to relax. JeanGPermission from Donna to post her email. I of course told her to listen when needed. Thanks Donna. Shawn, The tapes were amazing as u suggested. I have had very few bad days of late..... I do however make a strong effort to keep stress to a minimal. That is my worst enemy!...............(I have kids so Big Time Stress is a given!) At this point, i love the voice, ("Mr.Michael's"), and the way i fall out to sleep so quick! Now.............. what can i listen to?..........I always have listened to the tapes at bedtime when the kids are asleep since that was my only option. ...............(It is the only time when i have a "Safe Environment")!.............So now that i have completed the program, what can u reccomend? Donna AZmom, This will be long, as I have had IBS D/C (D-predominant for 27 years. It's been a long road with IBS, and I want to share my struggles so you know just how far I've come using hypnotherapy. It began on the first day of school my junior year (1974) in my Modern American Literature class. During that first class, I noticed a girl get up to leave the room to go (I assumed) to the restroom. I thought "How embarassing, everyone knows where she's going." From that day on, I had to leave that first hour class to go to the restroom. At 8:20 each morning I would feel the urge to go. By 8:30-8:40 I couldn't take it anymore, and would leave the room. This is when my anxiety about my bowel patterns began. I began to worry about if I would have to go, what people thought if me, and that something must be wrong with me. The avoidance behaviors began. I tried not to do anything in the mornings, which was always the worst time. As I went through high school and college, I began starting my day later and later, until finally, during my senior year of college, I didn't start classes til 1:00 pm. I was ok later in the day, if I felt I'd been emptied out I could carry on with normal activities. As time went on, I'd have problems in other places. I always had to sit on the aisle seat of the classroom or theater, and be the driver of the car. Once I told someone driving that I had to stop, and they said "No, you're a grown-up, you can hold it." I didn't let anyone drive me anywhere again, til recently. The first Dr. I went to said it was normal to go several times a day, and not to worry about it. But I DID worry about it, all the time it seemed. So I went to a psychiatrist. It was too difficult to sit in a closed room without a panic attack. She gave me a relaxation tape, and that was it. I had two children by 1983. This was the most difficult time for me. I think a combination of being a young mother, working, going to school, trying to do what the modern woman was supposed to do, "Have it all," was too much stress. The panic attacks were horrible, and I was nearly housebound at this point. My marriage was in trouble too, just adding more stress. We started marriage counselling, which lasted only a short time. I ended up staying with the psychologist for two years, trying to get help for my fear, panic, and stomach troubles. I was diagnosed as AGOROPHOBIC. The referring psychiatrist prescribed a tricyclic antidepressant, I think it was imipramine. It was horrible, giving me the worst C/D I ever had. The shrink finally ran out of things to talk about. Let me tell you, psychotherapy does NOTHING for IBS. At this point I still didn't even know I had IBS. 1989 now, and we took a trip to England to see my husband's family. I had no idea how I would make it, and went to see a hypnotherapist. He made a tape for my panic attacks and taught me relaxation techniques. It helped the panic, but my D and urgency was still a big problem. I saw an ad in the paper for a talk by Lucinda Bassett about stress and anxiety. She could have been talking about me. I bought the stress and anxiety tape course. One of the tapes mentioned "IBS." This was the first time I'd heard the word, and finally, 17 years after my symptoms began, I knew what I had. I went to my family Dr, so excited that I had discovered IBS. He said he had always known I had IBS, and that he didn't know I needed a "name" for it. Well I DID, I thought I was crazy all these years. He prescribed BuSpar and Levsin. I hated both. Then gave me Xanax, which was a help. I mentioned hypnotherapy to him, but he said he didn't believe in it. On our 20th wedding anniversary, my husband and I went out to our favorite restaurant. I stopped at the restroom on the way out, and was in there for 30 minutes. My husband was waiting patiently. He was used to me by now. I had a horrible attack, but thought it was done. How could anyone have so much **** inside of them? But it wasn't over. On the ride home we got stuck in a traffic jam in a construction zone. Trapped, no way out. I couldn't hold it, and had my first episode of incontinence on my 20th wedding anniversary. I was horrified. My husband was understanding, telling me not to worry, I was obviously ill. It was that episode that made me look for a good Dr. I went online, found the IFFGD and this BB. The IFFGD referred me to a terrific GI, Dr. Kevin Olden at Mayo Clinic Scottsdale, and he did a full workup on me. He sent me for PT and biofeedback. He got me on the proper dosages of medications (my GP prescribed me dosages too low to be effective) and supported my use of hypnotherapy. I had good success with it previously, and thought I would try Mike's tapes, which I found on the BB. I started Mike's tapes with enthusiasm. Change was slow. I went from D to C/D to C to D and around and around. I finished the tapes and was happy with the little improvement I had, maybe 35% at that time. But it wasn't until about 3 months after completing the tapes that I really saw a BIG change. It was then that I noticed my D was gone. My BMs were normal, usually one daily, sometimes two. I can now "hold it" for hours. Sometimes, I'll drive in the car, and notice that I'm not even thinking about where the bathrooms are on the route. That always surprises me. The anxiety is greatly reduced, probably 90%. I sit in the middle of the theater sometimes. I drive with other people. I've been on two vacations, been on 8 airplanes trips, been on a boat with strangers, with no attacks. I was even relaxed and had fun. At times the old thoughts make their way in. I shoo them away once I notice them. I have had two D attacks in the past 9 months. I can live with that. I think it's been a combination of things that got me to this place. I still watch my diet, although I have added back some things that were triggers, such as salads and citrus fruits. I do use a fiber supplement. I no longer fear my anxiety which had caused me so much trouble in the past. Bottom line is, Mike's tapes have been the best thing I've done for IBS. I'm more relaxed, my world no longer centers aroung when I'll have a BM, I'm a happier person, less crabby and less depressed. I'm a better Mom and a better wife. I'm more active, and I look forward to doing things I avoided in the past. That's my story. AZFrom Lou: Jeanne, Hypnosis works for Panic Attacks that I know. I suffered terribly from debilitating panic attacks for a number of years. This was 25 years ago when nobody knew what they were or how to treat you. How did I get over them. DETERMINATION. First I found in the library the book "Hope And Help For Your Nerves" by Dr. Clarie Weeks, great book. Second bought a good relaxation tape used it at least twice a day. Last took a course in Hypnotherapy which changed my life. I learned to hypnotize myself. Jeanne I was Agorahobic (couldn't leave our home). I was a mess. That all changed with the book, the tapes and hypnosis. Hypnosis does not help in one or 2 sessions, it takes time and a top notch Hypnotherapist. I beleive in Hypnosis 100%. I can still Hypnotize myself anywhere, anytime and relax 100% in about 20 seconds. I highly recommend Hypnosis. As a side note have your had your Thyroid checked or your Hormones. These can both cause extreme Anxiety. Best of luck to you. From Tiss Clair, I am using the tapes and love them. I waited until I could feel justified spending that kind of money. I've spent alot more money on loads of stuff that didn't work. I guess I got to the point where I thought, what the heck, what have I got to lose (except 100.00-which is alot of money), but if it works, then it's cheap!! I have gotten so much better (I'm a C type)-I just can't really even tell you why or how it works. The tapes have a rather pervasive effect with me, I mean, I'm calmer during the day, sleep 100% better, have a BM everyday and overall feel less anxious. My 16 year old son LOVES Side 2 because HE is sleeping100% better-he and I negotiate which tape he can use because I'm following the program that is outlined for you. I think there are some IBS tapes that are cheaper than the 100.00 tapes, and I don't know the difference in them. Someone could probably tell you the difference. I think the other ones are about 25.00, or something like that. As for me, I intend to keep using the tapes even when I've finished the program. Some people say that time is a factor that turns them off of the tapes, but I only listen to them at night while going to sleep, so really no extra time has to be involved. Good luck. I recommend them. From LG Ugh - before I started the tapes I was constipated all the time, I suffered from almost dialy nausea that would not let up, even woth motilium (a drug designed to eliminate nausea, whatever the cause), I got a lot of bloating - to the extent that my clothes would no longer fit by mid/late afternoon, cramping pains, especially in my lower right side, lots of flatulence, and almost more importantly I felt miserable most of the time. It seeemd that there was not much else in life except was I going to be able to 'go' today and even if I did would it bring relief or would I still feel like htere should be more, would I be able ot fit into my clothes and be comfortable etc etc. After doing the tapes I now feel alot more positive, I can remeber now what a good day is and can keep this is mind when things arn't so good. Yes I still have bad days, but they arnt as bad or as frequent. The incomplete evacuation feeling is almost never there, and I very rarely feel sick any more (this is great!). the bloating is less now, and I pass less gas. I got quite dispondant when I was doing the tapes because I didnt really feel any thing was changing until about 60 -70 days, but I emailed Mike and he was good enough to reply and keep me on track. This late action is probaly the reason why I like to carry on with the tapes now, plus I cant really understand how or why the effect of 100 days would last forever wothout some revison. After 11 years of having this thing and trying most things I have read about on htese BBs (including elimination diets, wheat free, dairy free, antidepressants, homeopathy, yogs, fibre suppliments, low fibre diet, high fibre diet, linseeds, laxatives, bulking agents, stool softeners.....de da de dah) I can honestly say that Mikes tapes have been the most beneficial thing I ve done, so well worth the time and money. Ugh, keep on witht the tapes, if you find they help even a little id say when you reach 100 days go back and start them again. Keep at it. I personally dont think that iBS is entirely brain-gut, but I think it does play a large part in it, even if only as a consequence rather than a cause. GOOD LUCkFrom Julie, Taken from a thread on the discussion forum. Every time I read your posts, I think "that was me!!!" Please believe this ... when I first found this BB in summer '99 I could have written the exact same post as you, except I had been in that horrible place for years, not months. And what "did it" for me was the Hypno Tapes ... as well as helping to reduce my symtoms by around 80%, within a couple of weeks (tho I think this is an unusually quick response) I was getting out of the house, and feeling perfectly calm and relaxed in doing so. I felt mentally normal for the first time in a very long time. All the "what ifs" and the "I can't do that becauses" just disappeared as if by magic. To this day I still don't fully understand why this happened - I can get a hold of why and how the tapes work on the physical symptoms, but it's like I just woke up one morning wearing my "old" head again.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
FromBritta,I thought I would add my two cents here. I got Mikes tapes in January 2000 after a lifetime of IBS-D. From about 1990 to 1998 I was managing my IBS with Imodiom, but as my career took off, my job got more demanding (oncall 24x7) I started to spin completely out of control. In August of 99 I had to quit work due to my IBS. In September, after my first colonoscopy, the doc put me on Levsin SL and Lomotil, this helped for when I had an IBS attack, but it didn't do much in preventative maintenance on the condition. I tried all sorts of kooky, nutty things, one doctor even suggested I take gecko tablets, I was a sucker, I tried everything. I started in on the caltrate plus, but found that I couldn't balance my dosage, and so I quit it. (bad icea). I got on Paxil, which did help with my anxiety induced IBS attacks, but did nothing for my food induced attacks (which seemed to occur at every meal). I lost 25 lbs, (and I didn't need to lose any weight). I finally decided to give the tapes a try, and at the same time, I started back on the Caltrate, with Lnapes help in finding the right dosage for me (1/2 chewable 3x a day). Within a month of starting the tapes, I saw I noticable improvement. Not only in my IBS symptoms, but in my general outlook on life. I seemed more positive about things in general, and in IBS specifically. It really really saved my life. I now go back to them occasionally, like right before my wedding last year. It was the right choice for me, and I feel like I can control my IBS more now than my IBS can control me. Erin From Scotcat-UK, About a year ago I was suffering very badly with IBS-C and was in constant pain. (I'd suffered on and off for many years but never with continuous pain lasting many weeks) After finding this website, I phoned up for the IBS tapes and spoke to Mike personally. Although I was very sceptical that they would work, I was getting so desperate that I would have tried anything! It must have taken about three weeks before I started to feel any real benefit from the tapes, although I was enjoying doing them anyway as it gave me some time through the day to switch off and relax. I finished the tapes in late September and, by then, all my IBS symptoms had gone. Before I started the tapes, my IBS used to flare up when I would go round to friends' for a meal. I had even been known to resort to lying down flat in their bathroom in an effort to get some relief from the pain. Now I can enjoy my evenings out without worrying any more. In the 6 months since I have finished the tapes, I have had only occasional, mild cramping, but it has always gone after a day or so. I've even had a major holiday to Florida without any symptoms. When I'm feeling stressed at work or home, I make time to listen to my favourite session(s) again, and that always helps. What I'm trying to say is please stick with the tapes if you are trying them. It might not be instant but it certainly does work. I'd also like to say thanks to Mike - you've turned my life around.From Kate TN, Yes, I have done it. I started just before Christmas, when I was in a severe, pre-holiday "D" outbreak, and have finished with the coming of spring. No "D" since 12/23. It is not unusual for me to have long spells between the "D", although this is a pretty good stretch for the last couple of years or so. I am trying a few new foods. We were away a couple of weeks ago- at a restaurant I ordered the "safe" chicken I've had many times there, and the new cook had added a spicy seasoning. The next day, I didn't feel too great, but was fine by the next day- my bouts frequently last for weeks to a few months. But, in addition, at a time in my life when I have many more personal and professional stresses than previously, I find that my outlook is much more positive. I am dealing with new challenges at work with more confidence, with a tough situation at home with more hope, and in general with life without as many concerns about the future as I've had previously. From about the second month of the tapes, I would find myself beginning to worry about some future event or do some negative "What ifs?" and before the bad thoughts would take on momentum, I'd find myself thinking,"Well, it certainly isn't productive to think about that", or"There's no reason to think this negative scenario will play out." I don't know how much of this is due to the tapes, because I've been pretty pro-active and have made some other changes too. But, on the whole, I think the tapes have been a major factor in the improvement I've seen in my state of mind over the last three months. I intend to continue to listen to them a couple of times a week, and would definitely recommend them to anyone. Thanks, Mike and eric, and others who have written their encouragement and advice over the last 100 days. I'll keep you posted. katecornelia_hm, This is a summary of my story: I'm a 33 years old female, having had IBS-D for the last 15 years (you know that vicious cicle 'fear of having a d-attack and the fear induces an attack and so on'). My panic was so bad I retreated socially completely because I felt too ashame to speak of my bowels to somebody not as close as my family. I don't know how I survived my twenties seeing friends and colleagues leading the lifes of their dreams (holidays, dream jobs, doing everything they wanted to). Somehow, though, I could keep my job and I think that kept me surviving. When I had another bad time in early 1999, I decided I could not go on like that. I went online and found this BB with many helpful tips. I started the Calcium and found it very helpful. Then I had acupuncture with great success, slowing down my bowel motility. I went down from 6 Imodium daily to 1. Next I ordered Mikes Tapes last year and have finished them in May 2000. I didn't notice a big difference. In fact, my bladder acted up horribly (I have also a history of chronic UTIs). This made me very depressed. Mike (to whom I'm very grateful) sent me text especially created for my situation and after about 4 months the bladder was better. About 6 months after the tapes I noticed that I was more calm inside and when the panic turned up, could somehow "push it down". I was in Madeire, Mexico, Australia and Mauritius since I have finished the tapes. I was in concerts (although on the aisle seat). I feel like I had grown as a person and become mature. I'm not as deeply depressed and suicidal as I used to be and I survived last autumn without the obligatory autumn-depression. I have to add that I follow psychotherapy as well but I definitely think that the tapes changed many thing in my life. I really would like to listen to them again but am too much afraid that there could turn up another desease like last year. All in all: I recommend the tapes highly. And last but not least: My mother tongue is Swiss German and the tapes improved my English very much! Thank you Mike for your neverending support! Coni kcarbs,I finished Mike's tapes about a month ago and I have been feeling wonderful! I was seeing some results while doing the tapes, but since I have been finished I have been doing much better. I didn't connect all of this together until my wonderful husband commented on how good I have been recently. I have been eating terribly too since our kitchen has been torn up with remodeling. I know that Mike's tapes have played a positive role in my feeling better. I know that I am much less tense about going places and that I don't constantly fear being sick. Just thought I would share.... Kim SOS, First of all I would like to thank Mike for the tapes and eric for keeping the topic going. I would think about getting them and then put it on the back burner, then I would see the threads about it and consider them again. I finally ordered them and now that I'm done I am so happy with the results. I have IBS C&D. I had slight symptoms for many years but not bad enough to seek help until about 6 years ago. That was when It hit with a vengence. The pain was so intense, very much like labour pains, only the end result wasn't cute Almost every day was like this for awhile. I tried Modulon, Dicitel,Librax and tons of herbal remedies. The Librax helped some, it wasn't everyday anymore, maybe once or twice a week. Because it was still fairly frequent the anxiety about going anywhere continued even when I was feeling okay. I then went on a gluten free diet and improved some more for quite awhile but still I had at least some symptoms almost daily. Then at last came hypnotherapy. From the beginning my anxitey levels dropped except during a period of personal crisis. I had one setback early on and have not looked back since. I go once a day like a normal person, without any pain or cramping. Now and then I have a day or two that I don't go at all but it is without all that bloating and things return to normal on there own, without using any meds. I think the most subtle change that snuck up on me was that I wasn't thinking about it first thing in morning, you know like what was today going to be like good or bad. I just get up and get on with the day. Sorry if I'm rambling on and I apologize for the spelling, I'm just rushing through this getting ready to leave for holidays. That's another thing, I'm not worried about sharing a bathroom with 6 people for the first time in years! Always the damper on my holidays. I feel I am continuing to improve and look forward to listening to the tapes now and then when I feel like it. I highly recomend them for IBS, the way I look at it is, If you have tried everything else without success, what have you got to lose? Tina Norbert46, Mike, I have recently finished your hypnosis program and would like to thank you for allowing me to be medicine free and feel great after 35 yrs of suffering from IBS/D. The anxiety level is very low and I've been much more relaxed lately! From reading other posts I know it will only get better. I still listen to side 3 at bedtime because it is so relaxing and lets me sleep like a baby. Keep up the good work, Norb Clair, I have recently finished Mikes hypnotherapy tapes and they have been an absolute godsend to me. 14 months ago I was struck down with severe abdominal pain, alternating C & D and insomnia. After nearly a year of struggling on trying to live my life as normal as possible, and without any successful treatments available from the medical profession I developed depression believing that I would never again know what it was to have a day without pain. It was at this point that Eric and others convinced me that the hypnotherapy tapes could help me manage my symptoms. In the first week of starting the tapes I had my first pain free days in a year and the benefits continued to flow since then. Within a month I no longer woke up in the night with abdominal cramp, and I was managing to sleep through the night and get a proper night sleep. Very soon, I noticed a difference in myself psychologically as well - I noticed I was beginning to look at things postively and take things in my stride. My gastroenterologist has told me that I have severe IBS and most likely it is something I may have to live with for the rest of my life, but that doesn't matter because Mike and Eric have given me a tool and set of skills to help manage my symptoms to the point I can live my life normally. I still have symptoms from time to time, but now I have ways of dealing with them effectively and I'm looking forward to a positive futre ahead of me....when a year ago I felt my life might as well be over. I don't think I'll ever be able to articulate what Mikes tapes have done for me - or how they've done it...but as well as helping me manage my IBS they've made me a calmer and more relaxed person. Eric/Mike - you can slip me that fiver now! (Only kidding! From someone who was a skeptic about hypnotherapy....I'm now a total convert. Thanks to Eric,Mike,Marilyn, BQ and all the other people on this forum that have made such a big difference to my life without knowing it. Clair

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.