Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't decide if it's good or bad now.I've been taking (at doctor's advice) 6 mg-or one teaspoon-plain Konsyl fiber in water mid afternoon. I follow it with a big glass of water as recommended,This will be my 4th week. I've only had one instance of watery stools,and bad urgency in this time.But, I find I get mild discomfort I never had before..afternoons and evenings, even at night it may wake me up... and although I seem to have more formed stools in the morning, it still comes in "waves" of 3 or 4 times spread out over about an hour. I have been having my morning BMs every other day pretty consistently since I've been taking it.But also, I get urges later in the day and may go just a little tiny bit here and there..soft stool.It doesn't seem many people here use fiber..but if anybody out there does with success...1. how do you take it?2. do you think I should split up the dose to twice a day instead of all in one "lump"?(I am following doctor's advice just taking it once)I also still take calcium, antianxiety drugs, and imodium before anything stressful.Jeanne

·
Registered
556 Posts
When I take 3 metamucil capsules 3 times a day I get similar results. A soft-semi formed stool in the morning (maybe 1 or 2 more), then usually another softer borderline liquid in the afternoon (also quite large).I also notice what looks like powdery stuff in my stool, which to me means either I'm taking too much fiber, or not drinking enough water with it. (I'd think all the water in the stool would soak up! LOL! But I may be thinking wrongly here)If I take only 3 in the morning, then 2 or 3 with dinner or supper, I get 1-3 movements in the morning, and rarely another the rest of the day. (But still kinda have that "feeling" that I should go most of the time)so go figure... I'm sure it helps with forming them, but I think it also makes "more" of it.
Which is give and take...

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LegbuhYes, sounds like my experience. One doctor I saw told me to take just one Metamucil cap every day.The ones I bought were only .5 mg...that's not much compared to the 6 mg.s the second doctor recommended.I wonder if your Metamucil caps are the .5 too. If so, you'd be taking 1.5 mgs with the 3.Maybe I am taking way too much...but on the container for Konsyl it says 2 doses a day is adult dose! That would be 12 mg.s fiber....I assume for constipation..lol.So yes, I feel kind of like you do...just sort of unsteady about it. Stools are formed and odd colored, but I still don't have that "cleaned out" and then "calm" I was hoping for....the elusive calm bowel!How long have you been trying it?Jeanne

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've been doing the fiber for about 6 months now.. ever since my 1st visit with the GP, who then referred me to the GI (I waited WAY to long to go in... just like a male, not helping the other males to get meds and being "too cool" to talk about poop).6 capsules is, according to the label, 3mgs of dietary fiber, and 2 mgs of soluable fiber. Not that much if you ask me.
But it seems to do something.After first starting I did have a few days of the cleaned out feeling after the morning one.. I said to myself "that was nice! A letter better form and it would be perfect!" Then I remember a few times 10 minutes later I'd be in for round 2... LOL... not bad D, but another nice clean out.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LegThanks for your input...sounds like we respond about the same way.I know I needed more fiber in my diet, as I shy away from fiber-foods because I think they will not digest well. Things like apple skin, beans, etc do make me go..and don't seem to "look" very digested. The powdery fiber just makes more sense for people with my problem.Know I need to keep eating slower also.But-I am taking a half dose morning and night now, so I am still getting 6 mgs a day..but in 2 doses.Had no sotmach discomfort last night at all..took a walk, had a small Bm this morning and took my swim.So, I guess I need an attitude adjustment too..I know I can do more than many people with this awful malady.Fiber won't be any cure...but I can say for sure it helps bind and make formed stools.I hope you will post here again if you have other info to share on your experience with fiber.Tha capsules would sure be easier than the liquid, but my GI was adamant I try the liquid first.Jeanne

·
Registered
556 Posts
I tried citrucil before and it didn't seem to do anything. my GI said to use Metamucil or psyllium husk and that its "better".She was right. It worked better. But, I started out with the sugar free (sugar is a trigger for me). It was sweetend with apspartame which didn't bother me. I don't believe all the hype about it, and when I read it's digested as an amino acid, I thought "even better."Seemed to work at first. AFter a few month I cut back, but also noticed a slight kidney pain. could have been anything, but I switched to the capsules... easier, no sugar at all, etc.I may go to the powder again, but the "original" powder with no sugar or anything else... yucky. at least the sugar free tasted good!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Konsyl I take is just cream colored..no additives at all. It came with a little shaker cup and "fill line"...but I bought packets for an upcoming plane trip (gulp!) that I'm going to take. Right now, I just scoop it from the big container and mix it.I drink it right down...I am used to chewing imodium capsules when I get stuck without water, so Konsyl tastes great compared to that lol.(actually there is not much taste at all)I am still experimenting with it obviously.It is supposed to lower blood cholesterol too, so that's good as mine is a little high.Jeanne

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update...after I guess over 3 months faithfully taking Konsyl fiber.I have settled on somewhere between 6 to 8 grams a day in water...morning and mid afternoon. (that's the total for the day)If you have symptoms like mine-anxiety induced D, watery stools, urgency, bad day followed by days of C, little pain, cramps or gas-I can now say I highly recommend trying this fiber.Have to say it is the best thing since imodium for me. It does take a while to get used to, and I take it every day without fail...at work I put it in a 24 OZ sport top water bottle so I can shake it up really well as I drink it.My stools are formed, urges are not bad, and I can let them come and go until its convenient much more often than before.Plus, I am getting fiber that I was afraid to get much of in food form before this.The last benefit, is I do not have the long spells of C..that used to invariably lead up toa day of getting rid of it all!It is not a miracle cure, I have had a few bad days, but all in all, it really helps me.Jeanne

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.