Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a small column in today's Health Section (Thomas Maugh's CAPSULES, which may be syndicated). For the bad news, though, check out Eric's "FDA LOTRONEX" post, for even more unanticipated side effects! Irritable Bowel Drug Passes Key Hurdle A Food and Drug Administration advisory committee on Tuesday recommended approval of the first drug designed to treat irritable bowel syndrome. The FDA usually follows the recommendation of such committees and should make a decision within the next two months. Irritable bowel syndrome, or IBS, is a term that covers a broad variety of symptoms for which there is no obvious explanation, including diarrhea, abdominal pain and constipation. The disorder is often called spastic colon, spastic bowel or functional bowel disease, and is thought to affect as many as 20 million Americans. Some researchers believe that people with IBS have nerves in the lining of their colons that are sensitive to bowel contractions and the passage of gas and fluid, triggering spasms and pain. The new drug, called Lotronex, is designed to block the receptors that receive messages in these nerves. In clinical trials with 1,273 female IBS patients with diarrhea, the majority of those receiving the drug reported pain relief within two to four weeks of beginning therapy. The primary side effects were constipation, headache and nausea. [This message has been edited by Persistance (edited 11-22-1999).]

·
Registered
167 Posts
ok, this is probably going to be a stupid question. But, if we are d type. People who go all the time. And someone in the study, didnt go for a day or two, maybe that is what they are saying is constipation. Not the pain and suufering that c types go thru, but they just didnt go. It is normal to not go everyday. But it is not normal to not go everyday if you are used to going many times a day. What I am trying to say is sometimes it is weird for us to act normal. Because we really dont know what "normal" is. Its been soooo long for many of us I dont think that is an outrageous stretch.Just trying to turn a negative into a positive. What do you all think?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dunno. Did you read Eric's post "FDA Lotronex" for more fun and games trying to figure this out? I'm trying to get feedback on that one and no-one's seen it!It seems to be saying that this constipation was a more than one or-two day thing. I sometimes have a day or two without going, but I still consider myself D. Hey, maybe I'm wrong!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Persistance I think you're right. I had a period of months of alternating C/D, and I wondered if I was still a D. When I talked to my GI about it, he said I am definitly a D, but the C was brought on by an extremely stressful situation. So we can have periods where we are fine, when we are our normal D, and periods where we swing the other way.I am hoping the constipation can be regulated by playing with the dosage, or managed with fiber supplements.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you're right, too AZMom, about playing with the dosage and managing it with fiber supplements. I take it then, that you did read that slightly pessimistic article "FDA Lotronex" from Reuters that Eric posted? As for becoming C when tense, maybe it was you that said this last week, but I just learned that happens when you tighten up. Gee whiz, maybe I should tighten up more often!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts