Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got the results of the lab work I had done 2 1/2 weeks ago. I was told that everything was within normal ranges, except for the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone). It is elevated (doc said too high...won't give me the exact numbers over the phone). He wants to start me on thyroid hormone. My concern is that I am IBS-D, and just now getting that under control. I know what the symptoms of hypothyroidism are, and I do have some of them, but...I have weight LOSS, not gain, and D, not C. The symptoms I do have are fatigue, sensitivity to cold, headaches, and some depression. The lab work that was done was CBC, Sed rate, Master chemistry, lipid profile, hemacult x 3, and the TSH. I am going to pick up a copy of my lab work results tomorrow.Anyone have any thoughts about this?
MJ

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Some people have atypical symptoms when blood work shows hyper vs hypo thyroid, you have to go by the blood numbers not the typical symptoms. You might post over http://www.mediboard.com/cgi-local/ubbcgi/...t=0;DaysPrune=0 to get some information from other people with thyroid issues. K9Mom from this site (if you have met) is the moderator over there and knows a lot about thyroid issues.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Some people have atypical symptoms when blood work shows hyper vs hypo thyroid, you have to go by the blood numbers not the typical symptoms. You might post over http://www.mediboard.com/cgi-local/ubbcgi/...t=0;DaysPrune=0 to get some information from other people with thyroid issues. K9Mom from this site (if you have met) is the moderator over there and knows a lot about thyroid issues.K.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi MJ I have been taking thyroid medication for about 5 years. I never had C. It was always D. This does not fit the discription of hypothyroidism but I understand this sometimes happens.Please don't be afraid to take meds. just make sure doctor keeps eye on tsh levels. Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi MJ I have been taking thyroid medication for about 5 years. I never had C. It was always D. This does not fit the discription of hypothyroidism but I understand this sometimes happens.Please don't be afraid to take meds. just make sure doctor keeps eye on tsh levels. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
As others have stated, while constipation is typically seen as a hypothyroid symptom....several people either do not have constipation or have diarrhea while hypothyroid (I'm one that was D with hypo).You do however, need to get a hard copy of your lab report.TSH alone is NOT enough testing to evaluate your thyroid function. You need to get a "Free T4" and "Free T3" done also...these are actual thyroid hormones (TSH is a pituitary hormone). The "Free" thyroid hormone is the only portion of thyroid hormone that is available for your body's cells to use, therefore these are the tests you absolutely want.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
As others have stated, while constipation is typically seen as a hypothyroid symptom....several people either do not have constipation or have diarrhea while hypothyroid (I'm one that was D with hypo).You do however, need to get a hard copy of your lab report.TSH alone is NOT enough testing to evaluate your thyroid function. You need to get a "Free T4" and "Free T3" done also...these are actual thyroid hormones (TSH is a pituitary hormone). The "Free" thyroid hormone is the only portion of thyroid hormone that is available for your body's cells to use, therefore these are the tests you absolutely want.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kath,Thanks for the link...I posted this over there too.Cathy,It is hard to believe that I can be hypothyroid and have D and weight loss...doesn't make sense!I know that thyroid hormone will speed your body up some...I am so scared that if I take it, it will really mess up the IBS...I am just now getting this under control from the last bout I had.K9Mom,My doctor's office is in the same complex as the office of the home care agency I work for. I will walk over there in the morning to get the hard copy. I'll tell you, the HIPPA privacy stuff makes it harder for you to get your records.I had a subtotal thyroidectomy in 1987, and was on Synthroid for about 10 years...I became hyperthyroid on them (I was all the way down to 0.025 mcg), so they were stopped. My TSH remained low all these years until now. I went to an endrocologist about 3 years ago, and he said that the piece of thyroid that I still had was atrophied and no longer functioning. He told me that since my TSH was "normal", I didn't need to take the Synthroid....he even accused me of trying to get back on it, because I wanted to get high!I have an appointment with my doc on Monday. I'll tell him to do the T3 and T4...I was surprised that he didn't order those with the SH.MJ

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kath,Thanks for the link...I posted this over there too.Cathy,It is hard to believe that I can be hypothyroid and have D and weight loss...doesn't make sense!I know that thyroid hormone will speed your body up some...I am so scared that if I take it, it will really mess up the IBS...I am just now getting this under control from the last bout I had.K9Mom,My doctor's office is in the same complex as the office of the home care agency I work for. I will walk over there in the morning to get the hard copy. I'll tell you, the HIPPA privacy stuff makes it harder for you to get your records.I had a subtotal thyroidectomy in 1987, and was on Synthroid for about 10 years...I became hyperthyroid on them (I was all the way down to 0.025 mcg), so they were stopped. My TSH remained low all these years until now. I went to an endrocologist about 3 years ago, and he said that the piece of thyroid that I still had was atrophied and no longer functioning. He told me that since my TSH was "normal", I didn't need to take the Synthroid....he even accused me of trying to get back on it, because I wanted to get high!I have an appointment with my doc on Monday. I'll tell him to do the T3 and T4...I was surprised that he didn't order those with the SH.MJ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.