Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I really haven't been very hungry. I know it appetite loss really isn't a IBS symptom. I have tried Googleing to get a definition and can't really find one. So does lack of appetite mean you can't look at food without feeling nauseous, or does it mean that you just really aren't hungry? I just have no appetite when I wake up for the first 4hours or so. If I try to eat or drink anything I pretty much have to force myself to eat it and feel kind of nauseous after. Then later as the day goes on I get hungry and eat as normal. What do you reckon? I am sorry to keep asking questions but you lot now more than most other places do.Cheers

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I feel much the same as you & have for years.... even before I had any stomach trouble or an IBS diagnosis. It doesn't really bother me though...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quick reply mate. Now that I think of it I think I have been like this for a lot longer than I have had IBS too. I am still eating during the day so not too worried but I figured I would ask to see if anyone else has the same problem. I just hate the tired weak feeling sometimes so I wanted to see if it was something to look into.Cheers

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
i rarely have an appetite either. i've had ibs-c for about forty years---since my mid teens. my lack of appetite started a little before then. it's just that i don't get hungry---not that food nauseates me although in the last year i've had intermittent nausea as well. but basically i just learned early on to force myself to eat no matter what to keep my weight up--you have to eat to live-- and also to avoid feeling worse---not eating makes my c a lot worse as well as makes me tired, weak and nauseous--so those have all been incentives to eat whether i feel hungry or not. but i don't see my lack of appetite as a problem at all--after all this time living with it, eating has just become a habit and like bq said, none of this really bothers me...oh and i do find it much easier to eat several small meals throughout the day rather than two or three regular size meals. grazing like this makes it easier to get food down when i'm not hungry and/or when i'm nauseaous.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I used to eat like a horse and never put weight on only ever 7 stone at best only time i put weight on was when i was pregnant think that was due to the hormones i had to take to be able to have children thats y being tested 4 cealiacs but keeps coming back negative went down to 5 stone 8 at 1 point now force myself to eat but the pain can be unbearable at times say i have an overactive gallbladder and my right side aches constantly and spasms all the time i tend to eat sloppy porridge in the mormings try a little of that might help

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hello annie7How have you managed your symptoms with ibs-c for all those years,do you get any relief from your symptoms now?I have had ibs for many many years also,its a nightmare.I am not typically constipated! so my Doctor tells me because my stools are always soft but i have great difficulty passing them always forcing and straing and always have the incomplete evacuation feeling,have done for years!Doctor has helped all she can,but really does not know what else to do.I've tried many alternative,holistic therapies to,but no help there either.I am nauseated,bloated have piles and flatulence in pain,these symptoms are there all the time.I have now lost a stone in weight,now only 6stone due to feeling so ill.Do you have anything that helps you through your symptoms and eases them?Hope you dont mind me asking?(I live in the UK).Thank you.

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
Hi Diana yes ibs-c is miserable--i sure agree on that. and yes i have probelms with incomplete evacuation as well as constipation.about my routine for ibs-c. well after years and years of trial-and-error--trying all sorts of things and combination of things-- i have finally settled on my current routine which a great gastro doc (who unfortunately has since retired) recommended to me because nothing else was working anymore. it's sort of a last-resort thing.every night i take milk of magnesia with either a laxative or with tegibs (tegaserod-generic zelnorm). i find that by taking both the mom--an osmotic laxative-- and a stimulant laxative (senna or bisacodyl) or a prokinetic (tegaserod/tegibs) together i have better success than if i take either one of them separately. if i take just the osmotic it generally just stays inside as mush. so i need a stimulant lax or tegibs to push it out--it provides the peristalic push i need.i also have found it really usefull to put my feet on a small step stool when using the toilet. this also took some trial and error to find the right height but i have found that elevating my feet like this helps with a more complete evacuation.and i also eat a moderate amount of fiber, eat healthy foods, drink lots and lots of water, and exercise daily....so this is the regimen that works for me and thankfully with this regimen i now have more good days than bad...still get the bad ones though---i think menopause has made the c a bit worse plus this has been an unusually stressfull year and stress always makes things worse too.i really hope you can find some relief....

·
Registered
722 Posts
Thank you so much for your reply,it really is trial and error to find something that works.I also have a step i use in the toilet,not helped but i am carrying on with it.I do drink a lot of water every day and my diet is normally good,but not at the moment,hopefully get appetite back soon.I do not exercise as much as i used to as i am so weak and had a really bad year but hopefully get back to doing a bit again sometime soon.Thank you again.Take care.

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
something that gives me some hope for all of us with c problems.a couple new drugs in the pipeline----linaclotide--which i believe is in phase three clinical trials in the usa--someone on the board who is in the trials posted recently about it. http://ironwoodpharma.com/gastrointestinal.php--resolor (prucalopride) is the one that i think will really help me--it sounds a lot like zelnorm--a prokinetic--i'm pretty excited about it. and it's been approved in europe now--hooray--movetis plans to begin marketing it first in germany in the first quarter of 2010. i really hope it gets approval in the usa soon--think it's either in or completed phase three here. http://www.movetis.com/products/resolor-prucaloprideso there is hope on the horizon...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow this sounds like me. I'm rarely hungry in the mornings, to go along with big D....it also lasts around 4 hours just like you've described. I have no answer as to why it could be happening, but I found it interesting that it sounded very similar to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts