Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of at a loss for what's triggering my IBS. I have thought that maybe dairy was triggering it, but I'm not for sure, since my symptoms appear hours later or the next day after eating something. When I was an infant, I was VERY colicky - I wouldn't take the regular baby formula well at all. My mom noted that she could actually SEE the gas moving around in my abdomen. I cried a lot and was very fussy (I probably didn't feel good!!). When my mother switched me to soy formula, my problems stopped. Fast forward to around my sophomore-junior year of high school. My true IBS symptoms seemed to slowly arise after a really bad bout of influenza and double sinus infections. My mom also has minor IBS, but until then, I had very few problems with the things I ate. I have been on Paxil (quit from side effects) and am on Prozac to help me deal with my correlating anxiety disorders. But even when my anxiety is pretty under control, and I am in a good mood, I still get IBS symptoms. And I keep thinking its food related, as it was when I was a baby. I don't think I am allergic to casein protein in milk, because those have somewhat different symptoms than what I'm seeing. And I had an endoscopy done a few years back to see if I had Celiac disease, and I didn't. I don't know what to do. I think I will try to do the lactose intolerance breath test. The problem is, the symptoms are either IBS or lactose intolerance or both together, because they are the same! I have diarrhea sometimes, loose stools (but not diarrhea), gas, cramps, and very occasional nausea (but I think the nausea is anxiety-induced). I'm so sick of this. I am 21 now and trying to go to college. Does anyone have this problem as well?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I had 10 years of IBS D, some part of which was triggered by milk products. The assumption was always that I was LI. It turned out, once I eliminated the D I (slowly) eliminated my sensitivity to milk. Take the test, but do not be surprised if it is just a sensitivity. As far as anxieties, they, too, can just trigger the reaction, rather than being the cause. (According to the person I spoke with at the IBS Center in Seattle, there can exist a pretty direct relationship from food to inflammation to D. I am pretty sure that is what I dealt with.)Good luck with this especially at school. (At least at U you don't have to raise your hand to go out...) Mark

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Lactose intolerance is a funny thing.If I tested 100 people with no symptoms at all a fair percentage would have lactose intolerance.If I test 100 people who are sure every single time they eat dairy they have lots of symptoms, some will have lactose intolerance, but a lot will not.If you have IBS sometimes the gas from lactose will cause symptoms even if a lot of people who don't have IBS handle the small amount of increased gas with no problem.Some people react to dairy because they have a conditioned response to react to anything they think has lactose in it. Even if you take all the lactose out they react and if you put lactose in food where they won't expect it, they will not react.Anyway, I'm not sure the test will tell you a lot more than just doing a lactose free diet for a couple of weeks.Although some people just do better on an overall lower carb diet without just removing one specific sugar or starch.AND diet is not the only thing that sets people off. A lot of people react to the ACT of eating, not which specific foods. So it may be impossible to get full control with diet and diet alone.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hm, okay. Thanks for the info. I have picked up some Lactaid and will try eating it with milk products, but I will also try my best not to think about it or be worked up on the thought of having an attack. Even if I turn out to be sensitive, it might be beneficial. Not sure.I think I will still try to get a test done or at least talk to my GP again and see what he says. My IBS isn't crippling, but it's so annoying and it can cut down on my social time when I feel icky. If I come out negative, I will still probably try to keep the dairy to a minimum, or try eating lower carbs and see what happens. The fact is... I love carbs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts