Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
very, very interesting. wheres this info from? basically cheese and butter are worse than anything else according to this list. i wonder why, maybe its condensed? milk became such a fear food for me that i think it will take a really long time until i can get myself to drink some. but i did try some chocolate pudding (4oz) after reading this, and my symptoms didnt get nearly as bad as i expected them to. also i always assumed yogurt was easier to digest because the probiotics in them would kind of counteract the effect of the milk. but maybe it was because i would just never have too much at a time. definitely a thinker...

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you are having problems with high fat, lower lactose dairy foods you may have a fat issue in addition to the lactose.Hard cheeses have very little lactose as the bacteria that turn milk into cheese use the lactose to fuel that process. The harder and more aged the cheese the less lactose remains.Butter has most of the part of the milk with the lactose in it separated off. It concentrates the fat, not the lactose.A lot of IBSers have problems with any high fat food, dairy or any other fatty food.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanx kathleen, you always have the good ol' indisputable and helpful facts!i dont think its a fat problem, i dont get significantly gassier from oily or calerie heavy foods (if thats what fatty foods are). are the bacteria turn the milk into cheese the gas producing type?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Generally no.Except for the ones in swiss cheese. The gas produced makes the holes.Many of the dairy fermenting bacteria are used for probiotics because they don't make the milk all foamy when they turn it to yogurt, etc. I'm not sure if hard cheeses still have any live bacteria in them or if the main cheese making bacteria live in people's colons like most of the ones used to make yogurt or kefir.All that being said, if something bothers you, don't eat it, even if it doesn't really make logical sense. Sometimes we are sensitive for something other than the primary logical reason.

·
Banned
240 Posts
I gave up dairy products over a decade agoto obtain optimal health and stop having digestiveissues (lactose intolerant.) I do use tofutti products - the ones that are not hydrogenated.They make very realistic substitutes for sour cream, creamcheese, ice cream. I do get diarrhea when I eat a lot of fat, it seems especiallytoo much foods that have both sugar and fat combined (desserts.)If I eat too much tofutti ice cream (which is easy to do) I am prettysure I will get D in the morning. If I eat too much of any fat in single day, it also causesproblems.I don't eat low fat - I eat moderate amounts of olive oil, avocado,nuts, etc. Nuts seems to be ok for me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
interesting about the cheese but yea your right. i should come to terms with the fact that there are certain foods i will never be able to eat no matter how much or little sense it makes to me. thanx for the info!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've pretty much stopped eating anything with milk, whey, or cheese altogether by choice. But hey if you can tolerate up to 4grams go for it. If not take calcium pills or I drink orange juice fortified with calcium. I've tried Tofutti and if you've always had normal sourcream or cream cheese than you will Not like this. Frankly i thought they tasted like this salt, flour, and water dough i once made to let harden and color to look like ghosts, which by the way if you want the recipe for that fun halloween activity let me know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.