Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, i had my lactose intolerance test and i am lactose intolerant. however when i gave my breath sample before i drank the sugary solution there was already quite a large amount of hydrogen present even though i followed the fast and the dietary instructions. can anyone shed light on what this may be? thank you.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Based on this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...0&dopt=Abstract it sounds like this is not unheard of.
quote:History and laboratory data were reviewed in the 15 patients where fasting breath hydrogen exceeded 42 parts per million. Seven had documented small bowel bacterial overgrowth and an additional 3 patients had radiographic evidence of intestinal stasis.
Mentions what they found for some people that have this.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I'd say there is a good chance you have SIBO and not lactose intolerance. The test is bound to be "positive" if you have SIBO, but may turn negative if the SIBO is treated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well my first breath without taking the drink was -54 then it went to -277 so it was really high

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:-54 then it went to -277 so it was really high
The numbers are positive, not negative. Assuming those number are accurate, they are extremely high, very abnormal. I think you should be evaluated for pseudo-obstruction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts