Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have began suspecting that I have problems digesting dairy. However it has been hard to pin point if that is my problem or not, since I don't have problems directly after consuming the dairy. I have noticed I have D many times the day after though.So, for those of you who have issues with dairy can you explain your symptoms (particularly how long it takes after the consumption of dairy for you to exhibit symptoms. As well as how long you have those symptoms for.) The past couple of days have been particularly bad and I am not sure why. It makes me very nervous. When you experience problems due to dairy, does imodium help you?

·
Banned
7,295 Posts
I can understand how difficult it is to know whether you are having symptoms of lactose intolerance or IBS.Although I do take Lactaid with any foods which may contain dairy, I don't go out of my way to eat dairy products. Though, I recall the symptoms from eating dairy being a lot of gas and unformed stool. It usually passed within 4-7 hours of consuming dairy. I don't recall having IBS-like abdominal pain from lactose. Sometimes I felt nauseated. I never used Imodium for lactose intolerance. I just waited it out, which was usually a few hours.Jeff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi lisaaanoel... jus wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth.I think I am lactose intolerant- but I still can't figure it out and it's making me nuts!Sometimes I can have a glass of milk- or ice cream or cottage cheese or cheddar - mozzarella and I'm fine- no problem at all.Other times when I have any of these I bloat up and cramp up terribly- I'm miserable for the next several hours and sometimes the rest of the day and night.I am IBS-C and nothing comes out.I never know when this is going to happen- if at all- so I don't eliminate these things from my diet.MJ

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
At the time this was a problem, I suspected LI; but in the end it turned out to just be a sensitivity. (I don't think I even heard of it until I started to see Lactaid commercials on TV.) Once I stopped having difficulties with IBS, then my sensitivity to milk products just slowly waned. There were points in that recovery where a second bowl of cereal in the morning would mean a third bm, rather than the two I would normally have in the am. I am pretty sure that if you have intermittent or next day problems that it is probably a sensitivity/trigger rather than real LI. I understand that for some of us, at least, certain foods cause inflammatory responses which then cause the D. By taking a supplement with anti-inflammatory effects I have been able to stop that for 10 years. For better or worse, I never took OTCs for D control, so I can't help with your question about Immodium.Mark

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input, everyone. Figuring out triggers is so difficult! I normally don't consume much dairy other than butter on a daily basis. The past couple of days I noticed the day after I ate pie that was heavy on dairy I had issues then another time I ate a meal with a lot of cream/milk in it.I'm hoping that dairy is the problem. I have been experiencing symptoms that are way worse then what is "normal" for me IBS.
I have a hard time keeping myself from jumping to conclusions about it might be something more serious than IBS.
(I was diagnosed based on my symptoms and blood work a little over a year ago)..I don't even have insurance right now so I trip to the DR for expensive tests is out.I took a good deal of imodium (max dosage) and it seemed to have calmed it down (actually experiencing C right now, but I'll take that over the D!) I'm just worried that after the imodium wears off/is out of my system that the watery D will return.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
It also could just be the fat, especially as cooks like to use cream for it's flavour and texture on the tongue. If it is just that kind of one off problem then monitoring fat intake would probably be the easiest thing. If it becomes more intrusive, substituting soy milk or Rice Dream both worked for me.Mark

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey im having similarproblems..afterhaving milkproducts over the weekend ive been left with pain from saturday until today..but somedays it doesnt effect me..so atm, im just sticking to soya milk and leaving cheese alone soi can get my lifebackon trckto the best i can

·
Registered
195 Posts
If I have dairy I am usually fine for the day but may have issues the following day. If I have milk though I sometimes get D within a few hours of consuming it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts