Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so ive posted a few messages over the last few days explaining that its been a while since ive had a bm, 7 days now... I have been given some lactose solution from the chemist earlier today and have taken two 15ml measurements of the medication, has anyone else taken this for IBS-C? and how fast did it take to work, im in alot of discomfort, im drinking tea and hoping that will also help!!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Lactose or Lactulose?It can take some time to work because it will have to get to the colon, so it isn't a take and poop within the hour kind of thing. Often these things are more overnight, but when you are backed up it can take a couple of days before you get enough wet poop to get things moving.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I think the Lactose solution is probably a more gentler one,but you are better with that to try first than something that will have you running to the toilet and causing more pain.I do understand the discomfort you are in.I would give it the few days like Kathleen said and see how you are and then if it has not helped,go back to the Pharmacist again or like i said before speak to your GP.Are you able to tolerate fresh orange juice,you could try that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, its nice to know im not the only one who has to suffer this (wish nobody had to suffer this) I can drink orange juice and have been doing daily, ive tried all the "natural" approaches, visiting the chemist today was the last straw really nothing natural was shifting anything... Does IBS-C increase chances of problems such as infections etc it being there so long...?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts